It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I do nothing. Being homeless isn't a new concept to me. I personally believe the only thing that will help people in the future is wisdom and knowledge.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by badmedia]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I hate being a poor college student, it makes it a lot harder to prepare except on the information side. I do what I can, and I know I'm better off than most people because my family are mormon so they have always had food storage and done their own canning with a small garden, everyone really should do at least that much, it has come in very handy several times during power outages and earthquakes or heavy storms. I look forward to the day when I own my own land and really go all out build a greenhouse, raise chickens, maybe have a small orchard. If I could find an entire community who felt the same way that would be awesome, I can imagine a lot of tax free bartering. The world is in a sad way how many people on this board don't even know your neighbors name? I don't understand why anyone would want to live in some polluted city stacked in apartments like some caged animal, maybe I'm nuts though

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm reminded of the ant and grasshopper parable. A little preparation goes a long way.

Many people have their own secrets and problems like drinking, drugs, gambling, codependency, spousal abuse, child abuse, sexual addiction and so on. Those things cause a great amount of grief and problems in everyday life but are seen as normal by the average person. Then society turns around and sneers or laughs at the loons like us that are 'prepared' for emergencies (also known as crazy).
I think it is because nobody wants to believe how fragile our world really is. It scares them. People who have the capacity to think that our society isn't indestructible really scare them.

You don't have to have an arsenal and bunker to be prepared. I pick up a few extras every week when I hit the grocery store and add to my useful items one or two things at a time. I also own a few basic hand tools and try to slant my purchases to things that will store well and can be used without power.
It doesn't take much to make these changes. It's just a realization that sometimes disasters happen and there is nothing wrong with being ready for these possibilities. I'm glad that average people are becoming a little more aware of the big picture and are being more prepared. Maybe as this becomes more prevalent, folks like us on ATS won't be thought of a such nut cases in the future.

Now, where did I put that tinfoil?

[edit on 25-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by incoserv

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by FunSized

just curious, but once the dog food runs out, what do you do with your dogs?

What about people with cats, just curious as most indoor cats have been de-clawed and have no method for defense or catching food (not having claws sucks)

Uh, eat 'em.

I'm serious...

haha, I knew that was coming!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I've been doing it for 2 years now. Best investment was a food dehydrator. I keep it going all the time - now if we eat 1/2 an onion, I dry the rest of it. Carrots, okra, everything like that. Bread for breadcrumbs, you name it. Got a big garden, chickens. GUNS. AMMO. Blades galore.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ben Franklin certainly said it best:

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

I have been slowly stocking the pantry and stashing away extended shelf life MRE's, water rations etc. Probably enough to last a couple of weeks for a family of four. Beyond that, we'll just have to see how bad it gets. Hopefully, I will only have to use the supplies in power failure or weather related incident.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
you know its funny, people are saying that they are going to take care of there animals. You do realise that that dog you have could keep you feed for several days? You do realize that 1 handful of dog food a day has enough vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy. Yes you need more filler food for calories, but dog and cat food is some of the best food to store for survival if your looking to do it cheap. Nobody buys it to eat, and you can get a 25lb bag that will last for years for around $30.

Just my 2 cents.

Camain

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I brought my first serious survival kit this Easter, its more for roughing it in the woods than anything else but I've studied alot of survival information and recently begun practicing it on camping trips.
I have to say I was never motivated by the thought that the world might crash and burn around me, more that I would prefer an existence where I was dependent on nought but my own hands and head. To that end I have begun regular forays into the wilderness to see how far I can push myself and what comforts I can do without.

Although its currently no more than a well thought out pipe-dream I have a few close friends who are interested in setting up an experimental settlement, we intend to purchase enough land to live entirely free of outside support though accept that some revenue may have to be brought in for goods we cannot craft ourselves. The general idea behind such a creation is that we gain independence from society (helpful if SHTF) but we can then implement rapid change to the politics, culture and economy of our own macro society with a view to exporting this to society as a whole... Well, like I said, this is no more but a pipe-dream but damnit it has to be better than this land of "bricks and paranoia" in which we currently reside.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I started stocking up on what I could late last year after reading ATS.

This year a situation arose at work where I believed the best thing for me to do was preserve my peace of mind and quit. While trying to decide which direction to go (I have finally decided to retire and do contract work) my funds ran low and I had to dip into my reserve. I will restock but this is just to say it doesn't have to be a catastrophe to warrant having the reserves you need.

I truly believe many of us will be placed in a situation where this is our lifeline and if not what have we lost?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Just a little FYI for the "Suburban Survivalist"

Being a " True Survivalist" doesn't happen overnight is takes years of training, trial and error, and knowing how to handle almost all situations, having a network of friends that will help. That does not happen in the city, people barely know their neighbors names.

If things should get out of hand the city is the last place you want to be.

Why?

Well let's look at this logically, calmly, and with reason.

All the people, in the city, that think they are really smart buying extra food, generators, water purifiers, guns, ammo, extra fuel, blankets, etc.....are fooling yourselves?

Why? If things should break down completely, in the cities, there will be the haves and have nots, and I will bet that the have nots will come for your stuff, when the going gets really tough. Some will say, my guns will protect me.....won't happen. The shear numbers will overwhelm if things break down into chaos.

Houses in the City and Suburbs are sitting ducks, Why again? well they are hooked up to the matrix, gas, water, sewerage, electric if one or all should go down. Suburban or matrix houses are useless boxes of wood, and empty egotistical dreams, with no land to grow food.

Crap will back up, literally.

The only way to make it is having a small plot of land with some woods or enough woods to cook, heat, and septic field to convert human waste.

The majority have relied to long on the matrix and now people are in a panic, trying to secure themselves, although it is good to have all these things as back up, if things break down totally the city will be a chaotic mess.

250 to million dollar enslavement's they called their "dream home" and all of this mind you by choice.

Should we feel sorry for the greed that ensued the masses and forced their hand to sign up for what they could not afford? No I think not, Ego centrism at it's finest moment, people can blame, point fingers, but the only one that got them in debt was themselves.

Old saying, "If you can't afford it, don't buy it."

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I consider myself a survivalist in that I stock emergency supplies, a gun, and ammo, but I find it funny that you all find this something to brag about. It sounds a lot like skater punks who think that wearing tight jeans and skating and mindlessly breaking laws is the way to "damn the man." For you, stocking emergency supplies is your hobby, your tight jeans.

You all think you're preparing for the downfall of society and its pretty obvious some of you want it to happen. Survivalism is a subculture and like all subcultures, it provides a raison d'etre for people. It gives you the legitimacy to call people "sheeple" and what not as well as flood the message boards with "girl power" talk. Its empowering to you.

Some of you all goes as far as to make the surge in survivalism to have an ideological tinge to it. The article indicated none such, but here on ATS, its pretty clear what your worldview is: everyone and everything is controlled by faceless, omnipotent people and there is no way to prove or disprove their existence. Which is convenient for you, because oyu can irrationally believe whatever delusion you want.

I wouldn't call it a hobby. I call it a cult, a religion. And yes, I am exempt from that cult/religion, because I don't do it to have some false sense of purpose in life.

I do it to be prepared. Nothing more.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Some would call this generalization...

Just sayin'...

I don't think nearly as many people in this thread and out that you throw into this cult category could even be considered for it.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by FunSized

just curious, but once the dog food runs out, what do you do with your dogs?

These dogs can hunt.

I dug, sweat, tilled, and created a 9'x13' garden in my back yard. I had a little inspiration from Tentickles and another ATS member who has a great thread around here somewhere on the development of his garden.

I believe Tentickles has a nice podcast about her garden.

Anyway I also stocked up on plenty of canned food, and Whey protein, which is seriously a great Item to have in desperate times. Also, yes, plenty of ammunition.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Started stocking up last year in preparation of what is to come. I am still preparing for the SHTF scenario. I have enough dry food to last my family quite a while at least. I have enough guns and ammo to equip my neighbors. I am now buying silver for the coming inflation. I live in a small city of 200k and am hoping that it doesn't get to the point of a mad max scenario. I will do what ever it takes for my family to survive but I dread having to head for the hills just yet. As far as my animals well I will have to take them out to the woods to reunite them with their maker. I do not like the concept because I love all of my dogs but it will have to be done. I wish I didn't get pugs and would have gotten a large german shepherd because it could be useful in the shtf scenario. I don't see my cats eating bread or beans and rice so they will have to go to. You might say its heartless and You might be right but I don't have the heart to see them starve.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by np3ba

It is a kind of addcition but it makes me feel much more secure about my family's future.

Latest venture is to make solar panels for my roof (have already made a small one for under $250). There is a lot of info on the net to do this very cheaply and if I should lose my job I can always make panels for others to support my family.

I still cannot find access to a survivalist group in my area of Texas. Anyone know of a site that gives that kind of info?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by camain
you know its funny, people are saying that they are going to take care of there animals. You do realise that that dog you have could keep you feed for several days? You do realize that 1 handful of dog food a day has enough vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy. Yes you need more filler food for calories, but dog and cat food is some of the best food to store for survival if your looking to do it cheap. Nobody buys it to eat, and you can get a 25lb bag that will last for years for around $30.

Just my 2 cents.

Camain

The dog food idea makes more sense than you realize. If you read the bag, most dry dog food is 18%-21% protein. Plus all the vitamins and minerals. I hate to admit it, but I have tasted plain dry dogfood, just curious. It's tastes like what cardboard, corn , and wheat would taste like mixed together. It's not five star dining, but a person can eat many things if you haven't eaten for several days.
I hope I never have to find out

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
When the end of the world comes Im taking a German Shepherd, a revolver, my Timberland boots and my "army" type backpack bag and goin to the appilachen mountains. I have a feeling theres ghonna b concentration camp type things that the government will set up or madd people will rush into our suburbs looking for shelter and kick me n my famz out. We wont b able to hold em all off!!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Couple of points, some have made, some not.

As mentioned by a few, buying all these supplies is great, but are more of a comfort item for most. Many have little or no concept of what to do post modern society. I have spent time in Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, College level ROTC and I would say I have only the BASICS of the skills needed. You must have at least SOME basic skills and training to even begin to survive a partial or total collapse of the economy and society. However; the WILL is the most important, but I think alot of these people are buying stuff to make them "feel" better.

As some mentioned, you will (despite your political or personal thoughts on the subject) need a gun and a decent amount of ammo. And yes if you live in a city you won't be able to hold off everyone, but many people will go on to the next house or block if the current one means getting shot at. You also need the will to use it, which many may not have.

I certainly don't hope that we are ever in any of the above situations, but I think they are probably coming in some form soon.

Oh, you will have to kill most of the pets when you run out of food. One of the biggest problems in a SHTF situation would be feral animals. No one wants to shoot fluffy, but if we let him go he can catch food in the wild. BS, domesticated animals don't know how to do that very well, and when they start they will run in packs and will be as big a threat to humans as other desperate humans are. Not to mention they will clean out any wildlife like squirrls and rabbits that all the 'survivalists" are planning on catching.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
After finding this site a few months back and after my husband and I both lost our jobs, I started stocking up too. Problem is I am not sure how far to take it. I have a good supply of canned foods, some water and things like matches, first aid supplies, lamp oil, cooking oil, salt, baking soda and vineger. The last three my husband laughs at because I have so much put back but salt, vineger and baking soda are so handy and have many many uses. We are also preparing an old farm just in case we need to bunker down there and we put out a garden. But we have yet to buy a generator and I do not feel like I have enough water and food yet. It is hard being laid off and trying to prepare for if SHTF too. I want to get a pump for the well house down on the farm so if water becomes an issue we will have that as a back up, but then you have to think if water is short we may not have electricity either, so then what? I am also looking into hand cranks for the well but point is how much should we prepare? In the Bible when referencing the end times Luke 17:33 states: Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it. So are we preparing in vain? I am the type of person who likes to be prepared for anything.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Personally, when tshtf, I don't particularly care to survive. I am not at all afraid of being dead, but I am afraid of lots of ways of being alive. I don't want to live in the middle ages. Or stone age. Back in the bad old days when we all thought that the godless commies were going to nuke us, I decided I would rather go than live in the world that came after it. I still feel the same way. There are a lot of things I would like to do while I'm still here, but I'm kinda looking forward to going home to Jesus. And if it should turn out that there is nothing there, then it doesn't really matter how long I live.
Please don't tell me that when it comes down to it I'll change my mind. I know what it means to look death, if not in the face, then at least in the shadow. I am in remission from a deadly disease (no, I didn't get it from sex. Or drugs. But it's still embarrassing). I decided not to have any surgery. I decided to die in one piece. What do you know, it went away by itself. Thirty years ago. So I've already had 30 years more than I was supposed to have. I also have a degenerative spine condition. I was told when I was 20 that when I was 40 I'd be in a wheelchair. I'm 51 and can still walk. Though I take Doan's pills every day. I am aware that every day is a blessing, but it's not an unmixed blessing. Why would I want to live in a world where you can get killed for a can of Spam?

As for the gentleman who was mentioned in the article that started this thread, he really should keep his mouth shut. When the neighbor's children are crying "DADDY DADDY I'M SOOOO HUNGRY", the neighbor will know where to go to get something to feed them. One way or another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join