It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Six months ago, Jim Wiseman didn't even have a spare nutrition bar in his kitchen cabinet. Now, the 54-year-old businessman and father of five has a backup generator, a water filter, a grain mill and a 4-foot-tall pile of emergency food tucked in his home in the expensive San Diego suburb of La Jolla. Wiseman isn't alone. Emergency supply retailers and military surplus stores nationwide have seen business boom in the past few months as an increasing number of Americans spooked by the economy rush to stock up on gear that was once the domain of hardcore survivalists. These people snapping up everything from water purification tablets to thermal blankets shatter the survivalist stereotype: they are mostly urban professionals with mortgages, SUVs, solid jobs and a twinge of embarrassment about their newfound hobby.

finance.yahoo.com...

Found this article to be very interesting sign of how people are reacting. It also serves as a warning that if you haven't started preparing, you'd better get to it. A collapse is not going to wait for you to finish packing.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by warrenb]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I'm one of these guys. Guilty as charged.

I do hope to never need my survival materials, but I would always prefer to be prepared than not.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i am of the same opinion too, only today i have purchased another gas bottle with arrester and cooking ring, not to mention sleeping bags and tent
plus cold weather gear

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It is great to see more people getting into this.

Although the story refers to it as a hobby, it isnt. It is realization that things can go wrong and people finally knowing that they must provide for themselves.

Maybe there is some hope for us yet.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Living on the Atlantic coast I've always had a few weeks of supplies on hand because of possible hurricanes.

But that all changed in 2007 when I joined ATS. I am ready for the long haul for any sitx except a nuclear direct hit.

I've noticed a few people scurrying around in case of the flu pandemic and it makes me feel very satisfied to know I could sit right here and not need to go out and buy any supplies.

Thanks to ATS and it's members I'm ready for bear.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Count me and my hubby in too, after I stumbled onto this site late last year.We are building up our food storage and getting bug out and 'camping' gear together. There's still a few more things I want to get but we're working on it the best we can, as much as our finances will allow.
ETA: even our chihuahuas are getting in on it by storing extra dog food and piddle pads

[edit on 25-5-2009 by FunSized]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FunSized

just curious, but once the dog food runs out, what do you do with your dogs?

What about people with cats, just curious as most indoor cats have been de-clawed and have no method for defense or catching food (not having claws sucks)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

lmao at first i read it as chinchillas, and my first thought was they would make great gloves, this survival stuff is seriously addictive lol

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is my dirty little secret that I only talk about with one person. It's not a hobby for me, it's an acknowledgment of what could be a very grave situation. I don't dare bring it up at work where my coworkers look at the TV and get all excited that the "market is up today!" Yeah, right. They shop for new clothes and I shop for a mosquito proof hammock. I've gone from chuckling at the survivalists to reading their boards. ATS and other sites have given me great information.

Hurricane Ike hit and I was ready thanks to what I learned from others. Oh and FEMA? The nearest FEMA center was 23 miles away, in a fairly wealthy neighborhood close to NASA, where people had access to city water. We are all on well water out here. So, it's true, FEMA is a joke.

Something that I thought of the other day, I guess I can throw it in here. If you have dogs and have to walk out of your situation with them, your dogs may need boots or some kind of paw protection. If they spend most of their time in a house or back yard, their pads may be too soft for long distance walking. There are plenty of sites that sell them.

My thanks to everyone who gave me ideas about being prepared.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If something does happen, we know we are on our own. Look at Hurricane Katrina victims. How long did it take to get help? And today, look at the areas that were affected. Notice anything? Yep. Nothing has been done. The government is even stealing land by billing people for not cutting grass on their destroyed property. If the insurance companies or aid-relief organizations were really in it to help people, something would have been done by now to help the victims.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

If the emergency is big enough, both my cat and my dog are very old. I would shoot and bury them because they would suffer without me around. And it would be the humane thing to do. But if the emergency didn't call for me to leave the city There are plenty of available food resources. I live right next to the Truckee river, not far from game hunting of any kind, my animals would eat what we eat until things got back to some semblance of normalcy.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
For us, it's not a hobby, but a way of life...to be as independent as possible has been a lifelong endeavor ....my biggest lesson has been that forming sustainable communities will get you MUCH further down the road than going lone wolf....in most cases...

[edit on 25-5-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I'll feed and care for them the best way I can, just like always. If they need to they can eat whatever I'm eating. I'd find a way to get what they need.
And no I'm not planning to kill and/or eat them. I'd have to be dying first.
I know dogs arn't people but you might as well ask someone what they'd do if they had no food for their children.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Funny: I spend more at the Bass Pro Super Store (they have it all!) now instead of at the cosmetic counter or on clothing or shoes,LOL!

And THIS is from a girly-girl who absolutely believes that able to take care of one's self is simply something that must be done because I sure don't see anyone else that's going to step up and provide for our needs???

Act and not react is my new motto!

Many do think I've lost what's left of my mind though...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Although I never had any deep hopes that the Obamessiah would really change much of anything, I had this vague idea that things might improve some. It didnt take me long to fall right back into my usual cynicism, though.

And now with things taking an even larger turn for the worse, I myself have finally gotten around to doing some survival research and begun the task of gathering equipment and supplies "just in case". My family thinks I'm a little nutty, but I believe when push comes to shove, they'll begin doing the same.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Oh that's okay. I hardly leave my house anymore because I cant stand the sheeple and their easily swayed minds.

Even in going to the store for my supplies and talking to the people who work their they give me that look when i mention the economy collapsing.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have to say that in the beginning, I used to read these threads and chuckle to myself, thinking "what a collection of loons".

Instead, I have oodles of supplies, my garden produces food, and is ever more productive.

I have learned where local food supplies can be gathered in the wild, and I have even learned to make basic fishing equipment so that I can catch fish locally.

As and when the sitx arrives, I hope that I will be somewhat prepared, and will be able to sit in my home in relative comfort. Without the need to go out and forrage too often. At least until the initial "blast" of angry/scared/desperate people cools down, and the "prepared" can start to come out of hiding.

I look forward to seeing most of you after any sitx, right here on ATS... assuming of course, that the interweb is still here after sitx.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Trust me,many days I force myself "out the door" to do something,even if it's just to go to the gym because I'd much rather not bother,LOL!

I love the "Gee...what's a lil' lady like you doing buying that stuff?" looks I get and when I ask questions,the sales-guys seem to get all constricted or something...as if a "mere girl" couldn't possibly know the things I do or have the stuff I have on hand.
Please.

Best to stay clear when possible,I agree!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

just curious, but once the dog food runs out, what do you do with your dogs?

What about people with cats, just curious as most indoor cats have been de-clawed and have no method for defense or catching food (not having claws sucks)

Uh, eat 'em.

I'm serious...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is an adiction! I started a couple of years ago building my first BOB and I can't stop!! I live on an island so I can't go anywhere but here in Puerto Rico there is a lot of mountains and forest that you can Bug out to. I just don't mention anything to anyone except my wife people may think I'm crazy but I know better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join