It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran blocks Facebook access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I found this article while browsing the web. I find it interesting that politicians can have this kind of power over people who elect them

The Iranian Government has blocked access to the social networking site Facebook ahead of the presidential election next month.

An Iranian news agency suggested the move was aimed at stopping the supporters of the reformist presidential candidate, Mir Hossein Mousavi, from using the site for his campaign.

Saturday was the official start of campaigning ahead of the June 12 election during which a number of influential clerics call for fairness in the use of state controlled TV and radio to support campaigning.

link to story

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wonder what would happen in the US or Canada if politicians had that power to limit freedom of expression?!

What's your take on this?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese

Wonder what would happen in the US or Canada if politicians had that power to limit freedom of expression?!

My take on this is that politicians are moveing towards limiting this freedom of expression in many so-called 'free' nations.

It is covert, to a point, but we need to be aware that they are trying to do that.

The fact that Iran is blocking this doesn't surprise me at all. It a very strict regime - however - there is nothing to stop people using proxies etc to find a way on the wider web.

I feel for these people, but am convinced that it is just a matter of time before we see things like this creeping in everywhere else bit by bit by bit.

That's may take - for what it's worth...

Peace,

MGGG

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Well if your going to pick a website to block access to in this country (UK) then facebook should be the one
and all the other ones like mybeebo or whatever. I bet office productivity would go up by 250% in one foul swoop

Seriously though those sites encourage people to put information out there that really can be a problem... I'm thinking really about the kids, but plenty of other people do not actually really realise what they are agreeing to - I get a sinister vibe from those sites so I just steer clear (apart from periodically searching for my self just to make sure no one has put up a spoof profile of me for a joke or something)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, I am wondering where the usual Pro-Iranian ATSers are. I thought that Iran was the bastion of liberty and freedom in the middle-east (sarcasm).

I can garuntee that this wouldn't happen in Israel.

You can't have a free society without freedom of expression. Freedom of speech is the most fundamental liberty in a free society because is fosters debate and dissent. Without it, you can never have real freedom.

I'm sure this is no different than what happens in China, N Korea, or any other totalitarian country on Earth.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

You can't have a free society without freedom of expression. Freedom of speech is the most fundamental liberty in a free society because is fosters debate and dissent. Without it, you can never have real freedom.

Totally agree with you on this, it is the basic freedom we should all have and should all keep. Of course, if you violate certain unwritten rules (ethical), you sometimes are subject to removal of freedom, in one way or another....

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Perhaps they know facebook is just a CIA front aimed at gathering personal information from people all over the world. Good job Iran
if only some of us were as smart.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

The Iranian Government has blocked access to the social networking site Facebook ahead of the presidential election next month.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My take is that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
In this case, for every web blocking butthead, there's also a web unblocking guru.

new topics

top topics

join