So what's the difference between Iraq and North Korea?

page: 1

join

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
So I wake up today to find that North Korea has tested another nuclear device, somewhere in the region of 10-20 kilotons.

N Korea declares it conducted nuclear test

Shortly after the test they launched missles, albeit surface to air missles but I've read that the technology can be used for surface to surface too, the kind needed to deliver a nuclear warhead.

I know there is a thread already discussing the launch here (please go there to discuss the launch):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BUT I have a specific question:

What is the difference between IRAQ possibly having WMD and North Korea having the same?

Is the answer merely OIL. or is it that North Korea has the backing of China, and possibly Russia.

Could this be the Spark that sets off WWIII?

Why don't we go into North Korea like we did in Iraq? I mean Iraq DIDN'T have WMD in the end but we went in there and destroyed it anyway.

I'd like to hear what everone has to say on this?

Kiwifoot.

Related Article:

Outrage over NKore nuclear test

[edit on 25-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Personally for me is quite simple why noone will attack N Korea.

They have nuclear weapons with the ability to use them. Iraq never did, and the US knew it. If there was no doubt that Iraq had them, the Coalition would have never attacked them. It's easy to attack a country that has no means to strike back. It's another thing entirely to attack a country that could easily spark another world war.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

Good point, although I'm not sure they have the means to deliver the nuclear device yet( I'm not saying they don't i just don't know).

In that case the question still stand, why did they let it get to this point?

they went into Iraq with only a sniff of WMD, they could have acted long ago!

See my point?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Basically because its bang right in the middle of China and Russia.Any war with N.Korea wouldn't only be foolish but im sure the russians and chinese wouldn't like that in their backyard and all the fallout that comes with it.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I would have to agree with you there as well. When considering Iraq, what powerful friends did they have when the Coalition invaded? None quite as powerful as Korea does. Not to mention the fact of goelogical location like you said.

It's one thing for Rusiia and China not to care what people do to Iraq it's far enough away to make them feel at ease. You put American, British and god knows who else troops on Korean soil then you may see China and Rusiia be not to happy.

Think of it this way.....say oh i dont know Cuba did something really stupid, and China and Russia get pissed and put boots on the ground there. How happy do you think The States or Canada would be about that? Not to happy I'd wager.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

Do you ralise that Iraq is only 500km away from the border with Russia, I completely agree with you in that N Korea IS on the border with Russia, but with its Eastern most territory. Iraq is far closer to all its' major cities.

But I do recall that Russia was against the invasion, I think they voted against it in the security council?

[edit on 25-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

No I realise that, I think the reason for the likes of Russia and China being more upset with people invading Korea is the fact that it enables them easy acces with Ship.

Give them the ability and stronghold of both Land, See and Air. thats what I was getting at.

edited for spelling

[edit on 5/25/0909 by Trayen11]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I just thought i'd point out the the North Koreans already sent the Americans home with thier tail between thier legs once and I'm pretty sure the D.O.D. remembers that all to well. Considering the U.S. was a military superpower then I don't really see how attacking them now could possibly be in your best interest.

cheers!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
North Korea didn't send anyone anywhere with their tails bewtween thier legs, including the U.S. More accurately, China is the one responsible for North Korea remaining in existence. And last time I checked, the U.S. is still in Korea.

And if I had to guess, the only thing that is saving North Korea now is China. Even though, I suspect they are growing a little tired of little Kim.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

While i agree China is holding all the cards.What do you mean they are *saving* them...even the great America invading N.korea would be an absolute bloodbath.Sure you can bombard them from the air but eventually you would need a ground invasion...and that would be a big big mistake.Nevermind by the time you drop your first bomb Seoul will be a pile of rubble.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If China didn't step in, there would be no NK now.

I agree with what you say about if we invade and Seoul being reduced to rubble.

So, what do we do? I say just sit back and wait for them all to starve to death.

join