It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Watching You?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Who's Watching You?

news.bbc.co.uk

John Catt found himself on the wrong side of the ANPR system. He regularly attends anti-war demonstrations outside a factory in Brighton, his home town.

It was at one of these protests that Sussex police put a "marker" on his car. That meant he was added to a "hotlist".

This is a system meant for criminals but John Catt has not been convicted of anything and on a trip to London, the pensioner found himself pulled over by an anti-terror unit.

"I was threatened under the Terrorist Act. I had to answer every question they put to me, and if there were any questions I would refuse to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Now, I don't have a problem with this system being used to pull over cars with no tax, insurance or MOT certificates, but 'tagging' people's cars because they've been to a protest is plain wrong!

How long will it be until a pensioner who has bought a used car gets pulled over and cavity searched?!

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebird69

Now, I don't have a problem with this system being used to pull over cars with no tax, insurance or MOT certificates, but 'tagging' people's cars because they've been to a protest is plain wrong!

How long will it be until a pensioner who has bought a used car gets pulled over and cavity searched?!

news.bbc.co.uk

I don't know...but I pray to the Lord almighty that I'm not the one doing the cavity search!

[edit on 25/5/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The use of ANPR systems is being sold to the masses as a way of fighting vehicle crime, which I do agree with, but it is also being used to keep tabs on the movement of innocent people.
This case highlights the misuse of the system, where it, and indeed the police themselves, are blatantly used as a form of political intimidation and control.

You'd think the police, if they actually cared, would be able to see through this agenda of control and intimidation and refuse to engage in alienating themselves further from the public, who they are supposed to serve. By allowing themselves to be used in this manner they only do themselves more harm and further lose credibility in the eyes of the public.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Britguy]

top topics

join