It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who don't pull their weight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I know that every single job in the world has these people, but that doesn't make them less annoying. I work two jobs that combined I get almost 50 hours a week. I do warehouse work and bartending. But I would say in my current situation, the warehouse job has more slackers than the other job, obviously. I just can't stand it every single day you get a group of people that will do everything they can to just "chill" and "hang out" while there are loads to be done. At my job it is split pretty much. Half people do their job, the other half sit around and laugh as the other half is doing all the work. What get's me upset is, is that these people still have a job while others who really want to work are out there willing to do their work. But these guys/women even openly admit that they want to get fired so that they can collect unemployment.

What's even worse is, is that the good people are getting fired over trivial things but then they get replaced by more slackers with the same goal in mind. I also love it when these same people complain about being their during their shift and complain how the day drags on and that there is so much work to do, blah blah blah.
It makes me want to throw something everyday, but instead of risking losing my job, I end up working harder to blow off steam and of course everyone, with the exception of the other's i've worked with for a long time, think that I'm out to make everybody look bad. It seems like every job I get, I encounter more of these types of people and they get worse! You would think that the fact that there aren't many jobs out there, people would appreciate what they have.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There is a name for those folks...

they are called "80% of the population"

The old 80/20 rules states that 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I used to seriously think that was BS until I began to work. It's incredibly hard sometimes but remember this, work hard and you may get noticed above the rest...

Of course then again...you could do all that for nothing...seen that happen as well

-Kyo

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

That is so true, and that statistic is true no matter where one works. In the military, I knew a young airman who would find a large tool drawer and go to sleep in it. There have been many other jobs where the veteran workers would tell me not to do too much as they would have to actually do some work. The funny thing is, whenever I did take a break, the supervisor would always see me and think I was slacking off.

There isn't much that can be done about it as most of the slackers seem to be pets of the supervisors.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hey I still see that in the old AF...it's everywhere!

Ridiculous isn't it

-Kyo

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Don't worry too much on it. What goes around comes around.
Six months ago I was working with 100 other technicians who did the same job I do. The downturn led to a lot of layoffs. Now there are 25 of us. Guess who went home? Mostly the dead wood. Yeah, we have a couple of duds who are still there but most of us that are left are the 20% that carried the others when the work was plentiful.
Don't let it get to you.
Keep doing the right thing because you know what they say.
Karma's a B!+(#.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Don't worry too much on it. What goes around comes around.
Six months ago I was working with 100 other technicians who did the same job I do. The downturn led to a lot of layoffs. Now there are 25 of us. Guess who went home? Mostly the dead wood. Yeah, we have a couple of duds who are still there but most of us that are left are the 20% that carried the others when the work was plentiful.
Don't let it get to you.
Keep doing the right thing because you know what they say.
Karma's a B!+(#.

An excellent example, and I can say the same thing has happened at my place of employment (twice in fact) since Thanksgiving last year)....

Not only that, but the manager fought hard to keep those of us who did the work (even those of us who were contracted, instead of vested employees).

Of course, then you have stupid companies (like my wife's former employer) who just get rid of those making the higher wage for their position, without analyzing the fact that she did the work and productivity of two people (and therefore, cost/benefit-wise, was actually a bargain)...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Unfortunately, most companies want to get rid of the higher wage earners and people with benefits. They replace them with temps who do not get any benefits and cost the company little. Older workers who have a pension coming to them are let go as newer workers won't get any type of pension. They kill two birds with one stone on that one.

Some people who do not pull their own weight usually suck up to the manager/supervisor. When that happens, they never get laid off. The problem with that is they may get noticed in their slacker ways, and may have to actually work for a living.

new topics

top topics

join