It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Nas Expose Media Manipulation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From time to time, I see people on ATS stating that "rap causes blah, blah, blah" but many people seemingly fail to look beyond the surface, and point out that the MSM controls what does and doesn't make it to MTV and BET. In the third verse of Hero, the rapper Nas (who, my search of ATS shows, has actually been accused as being an Illuminati) attempted to point out that mainstream rap is manipulated:

This Universal apartheid;
I'm hog-tied, the corporate side
Blocking y'all from going to stores and buying it.
First L.A. and Doug Morris was riding with it,
But Newsweek articles startled big wigs;
They said: "Nas, why is he trying it?"
My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting -- Nas; the only true rebel since the beginning.
Still in musical prison -- in jail for the flow;
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce [Springeen], or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul!
So, "Untitled" it is.
I never change nothing
But people remember this:
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit.
I can't sit and watch it.

So, [expletive], I'ma drop it,
Like it or not!
You ain't gotta cop it
I'm a hustler in the studio.
Cups of Don Julio
No matter what the CD called,
I'm unbeatable, y'all
Lets go!

The manipulation of popular music is an issue which I think many people overlook -- as they rush to condemn the younger generation of adults, and I hope that this thread can lead to further examination of the MSM, as it relates to the music industry.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by theWCH]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm not sure he has really "Exposed it" but I can see why he has been in the media Spotlight for his own "alternative views".

I have listened to a lot of Nas over time. I came to find out a lot of his songs are politically motivated, but he really doesn't state what's not already made public.

A lot of other hip hop artist have made the "Alternative Discussion" when relating to their beliefs and/or life style. Take Jay Z for instance, people are now suggesting his Roc-A-Fella brand is masonic and that the logo is demonic.

I do believe rappers add there own message in their words, but in this particular story, I just somehow can not see the connection, or at least from the extract you provided.

new topics

join