It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Starts Anti-Missile Cannons' Production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Today we have get two different weaponry news from Iran - from country which are seemly fas boosting its prepardness to coming wars,

New Light Attack Chopper "Shahed 285" Joins Iran Fleet
www.abovetopsecret.com...

... And now came this news:

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iran launched on Sunday a production line for manufacturing cannons for warships which can be used against cruise missiles, the Fars news agency reported.

“The final range of the 40-millimetre naval cannon, named Fatah (victory), is 12km and it shoots 300 projectiles per minute,” Defence Minister Mohammad Mostafa Najjar said in a statement reported by Fars.

“It can be used against cruise missiles ... It is an anti-aircraft low-altitude weapon for use on warships,” he said, adding that it was being entirely built by Iranians.

Iran has boasted in the past of developing new weapons systems only for its claims to be met with scepticism by Western defence analysts.

www.nation.com.pk...

- Hmmm.... Again they are highlighting same issue: Entirely built by Iranians. I get more, and more suspicious about that statement. Making Anti-Missile weaponry need decade of development - you just cant start produce such weapons in one sunday!

- I think some country - their friends - are giving Iran all the needed knowlege and information, suppot - and that is also pointed out in the end of same article...

“If government falls into our hands Israel will not dare threaten Iran because the Israelis and the Americans know us and our friends”

- So we have to guess who are those Irans friends?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I had a look at the helicopter and an airplane entirely built in Iran. They are not impressive and no different than what can be built in kit form in the UK. However, the benefits is in the development of an infrastructure that manufactures components for Iranian aircraft.

If the Iranians survive the current Israeli threat, they maybe able to sustain these industries and allow them to evolve.

Any 'second world' country can put their mind to building an aircraft entirely made at home but the final hurdle is sustaining and evolving the industry.

[edit on 083131p://pm3105 by masonwatcher]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

the shaqfah is using first generation ram coating and hidden fan blades - which is argueably better than other countries in the region.

edit:

www.break.com...

100mm autoloader on a self guided AA gun

[edit on 26/5/09 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
A 40mm cannon with a 300 rounds / minute rate of fire? That's an excellent rate for a 40mm weapon...the WW-II vintage Bofers 40/56 could only manage 120 rounds / minute / barrel. Then again, the Bofers came in 4-packs. I can see a real use for this new fast 40 as a surface weapon, and I'm sure it has some anti-air capability (with radar fire control and proximity fusing, probably fairly good low-altitude capability). I'm not sure it has the capability to destroy cruise missiles though. That tends to be as much a function of training rate as anything else, and a 40mm is a fairly hefty hunk of iron.

I'd be more impressed with the auto-loading 100mm if the video didn't keep doing dissolves and fades after single shots. I'd like to see the thing sustain through a 10-12 round barrages before proclaiming it the Next Big Thing.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
1 min 20 onwards shows teh gun with no cut/fade and the autoloader in operation

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well then the Iranians have managed to acheive 1960's technology WOO HOOO.
If you really get down to it its 1944 tech,
OOOhhhh Scared of that.

What about the mythical mass wave attacks of cruise missles.

How are they going to counter that, OH thats right only they have the ability for such actions.

Everybody seems to forget that the iranians sent un-armed children in wave attacks against the iraqi's

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
This may be a milestone for the Iranians but hardly any big shakes in the great scheme of things. We have seen it all coming out of Iran over the last couple of years (often reported on this Board)!

Stealth fighter planes, attack helicopters, nuclear subs, suicide regiments, high speed attack hover craft, high speed attack submersible attack boats, hyper sonic torpedoes, supersonic anti ship missiles, ICBMs, main battle tanks, anti tank missiles, child suicide fodder etc...

Much of it is over-hyped rubbish meant for an indoctrinated audience. The problem is teasing out the reality and practical from the fantasy and impractical.

I have no doubt that Iran has emerging capabilities and have a stated aim of being self sufficient in military production, but the reality is that Iran is not an advanced industrial nation with the capability to develop and sustain large sophisticated programmes which require a mature industrial base. If you take China, Russia and Korea out of the equation, where is the Iranian expertise in (say) missile development?

Regards

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Not well versed in weaponry,but for a country that has so much sanctions on it i think Iran is doing a good job.Every country has to start somewhere and realising that alliances can be broken it is best to have as large a manufacturing base possible at home when it comes to your military imo.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The autoloading 100mm gun is pretty credible IMO. Here's some more info on it.

www.militaryphotos.net...

I would challenge "completely made in Iran" type claims. Maybe a bad translation, maybe deliberately misleading BS.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by planeman]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
You might not be scared of the iranian military but the USM sure as hell is, notice-warning the israelis that they not dare attack iran whiloe america's bases are easy targets for iranian missiles, and so are an us ship cruising the persian gulf..they seem very scared to me.

Originally posted by punkinworks09
Well then the Iranians have managed to acheive 1960's technology WOO HOOO.
If you really get down to it its 1944 tech,
OOOhhhh Scared of that.

What about the mythical mass wave attacks of cruise missles.

How are they going to counter that, OH thats right only they have the ability for such actions.

Everybody seems to forget that the iranians sent un-armed children in wave attacks against the iraqi's

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ominous
You might not be scared of the iranian military but the USM sure as hell is, notice-warning the israelis that they not dare attack iran whiloe america's bases are easy targets for iranian missiles, and so are an us ship cruising the persian gulf..they seem very scared to me.

I am not sure that is an accurate analysis of the situation. I think the US is more than capable of fending off Iranian missiles and I am sure certain sections of the US military would love to find an excuse to show just how ruthless and decisive they could be against another (yes, another) backward military, especially one that fights back for more than (say) a day.

The oft over-rated Israeli military would be over extended against Iran and the political fall-out of a pre-emptive strike against Iran's nuclear facilities would be political suicide for Israel. The thing that will make sure war does not happen will be pragmatism. Strip away all the rhetoric and flim-flam and what you have got is a growing sense that peace and stability is beginning to take shape.

Bad knews for the war-mongers...

Regards

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

The U.S Navy has at times failed to stave off African Queen style attacks.

All threats are serious, if you fail to take them seriously.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

top topics

join