It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Memorial Day, Honoring Military Service and Sacrifice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
thank you. it is heartwarming to know that people back home are thinking about the soldiers that have given their lives.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. This is one of those days that really brings out the true meaning of patriotism and the REAL American Dream. To me, it's those key words, "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness" along with the love of the country and countrymen that have paid every price to preserve those values for me. I have not served in the armed forces, not yet at least but I will absolutely do everything I can to serve here back at home. Thank you to all who have served and guaranteed my freedom and that of my friends, family, and community. I am truly indebted to you.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
we honor them, not the a$$holes that sent them war.

until the post vietnam era most veterans didn't have a choice in the matter. so not only did they go to war for their detached leaders, they did it under duress. (threat of imprisonment) sure many volunteered, even lied about their age just so that they could go to war. one of my grandfathers did just that. because he is a war monger? no. because like most any young man that age he sought adventure and escape from a life of rural boredom and grinding poverty. five of his brothers were called to arms. he would have gone, draft or no draft. screw the politics. to paint a contrast: the first time he experienced indoor electricty was in his barracks and aboard ship. while in service he was able to send money and arrange for electricty to be wired to his old parent's farmhouse.

my family has spilled plenty of blood, their own and that of the enemy. they fall into all categories mentioned above. fortunately many returned home with little more than a scarred psyche. some returned missing limbs, and some didn't return at all. the long line of warriors that came before me fought in the vain hope that future generations wouldn't have to, or at least might be able to make their own decision.

so it was my decision as a young man, that since i actually had a choice that i would not 'stay the course' and serve. it would have done them no service to have their their bloodline bleeding out in some monarch's oil field. tradition be damned. if not for their sacrifice i (we) may not have had the choice.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Well written, and well asked, "will they be remembered and honored as they should be?"

As long as I still draw a breath, my brothers and sisters in arms, especially those that did not make it home with me, will be remembered and honored, not just once a year. But almost every day, so it has been for 20+ years so it will be till I see them again.

This may be just one persons promise, but knowing my fallen friends it was all they wanted...

Thank you all that have served, and Rest in peace those that have fallen, For at least one old veteran still remembers and honors you..

[edit on 25-5-2009 by SideWynder]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I am truely saddened to hear that you can not fly our flag with honor anymore because of what some have done to this country, and in this country's name. However i would like to say that because of you and men and women like you that had/have enough love for this country and what it stood for and was meant to be and sacrificed to defend her i still fly my flag proudly in honor of you and those like you and i will always be grateful for that.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Abraham Lincoln is reported as saying once when faced with protesters that:

It is a sin to be silent when it is your duty to protest

Replacing the flag was my small protest... it does not however change the love I feel for my country.

A neighbor asked me why I replaced the flag with an earth flag and I told her...

... while I love my country... I love my planet more.

Sadly she did not get it.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Why do people that are aware love being blind?

People with this way of thinking allow the word patriotism to be a scam.
But it doesn't have to be, but with people with this thought-process shown in this thread, it is that.

We hate the war but god bless the people who fought in it?

Then why not say we hate the holocaust but god bless those nazis who served their ruler?

What about police brutality, maybe some patriotic cops are just doing as they are told as well.
So let's praise them too?

You guys got the game completely wrong, your perspectives is the opposite of reality.

this thread is full of "we hate big pharma but god bless the pills" type statements.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
In a perfect world there would be no war. In a perfect world there would be no military. In a perfect world....there would be cooperation and common sense. Since we don't live in a perfect world, refusing to protect yourself, family and country is asking for complete domination by the power-hungry.

Most people dont want to fight or kill to protect what is important to them. Those same people are not going to lay down and let the bullies trample all over their rights. So, the conundrum...we don't live in a perfect world nor is one likely to pop up just because we refuse to accept what is.

I haven't heard one workable idea which solves the problem. So, I watch the creatures of nature. They don't go out of their way to cause trouble for other creatures but they sure do get aggressive when their territory is threatened. Nature teaches, are we learning yet?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
In a perfect world there would be no war. In a perfect world there would be no military. In a perfect world....there would be cooperation and common sense. Since we don't live in a perfect world, refusing to protect yourself, family and country is asking for complete domination by the power-hungry.

In a better world than this war would be war and not business
In a better world than this military would be for domestic defense.

You don't even realize that by continuing this path you are exactly in the situation you are trying to avoid, completely domination by the power-hungry a.k.a the employers of the soldiers this thread is praising.

And it is propoganda to try and say that moving towards peace IS NOT a way towards protecting yourself and your family.

Most people dont want to fight or kill to protect what is important to them. Those same people are not going to lay down and let the bullies trample all over their rights.

Really?

Soldiers decide not to continue fighting an illegal and immoral war, and such heroes are the target of attacks and name-callings by many such people as the ones in this thread.

They fight to make individuals richer, nations poorer, and then when they come back they are labelled as potential terroists. These people won't be bullied? Really?
Let me tell you, whenever someone signs up for this you know what war-mongerers say?
The say "there's a sucker born every second".
But they won't be bullied?

I haven't heard one workable idea which solves the problem.

You haven't heard one workable idea that sovles the problem so you decide to default to the one solution that will make it worse?

Ok Good job!

So, I watch the creatures of nature. They don't go out of their way to cause trouble for other creatures but they sure do get aggressive when their territory is threatened. Nature teaches, are we learning yet?

Are you talking about the U.S. having over 800 bases in over 140 countries?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have an idea. Why don't you go public, run for office and change the world so it resembles something you can be happy with! You seem to have all the answers. You may be the ONE we have all been sitting around waiting for to solve the problems that couldn't be solved in hundreds of centuries!!!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I don't have all the answers, never said I did

But I do know that having bases all around the world, installing puppet govts. and stealing oil DOES NOT HELP!

Do you believe this makes your country safer?
Or might you agree it makes it more dangerous?

Answer the question!

This problem can't be solved by waiting for THE ONE to solve it.

People just need to wake up from their slumber, in mass.

Tell me something, how can you expect change when you support corruption?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Support what change? What change is being bandied about by the authorities or even the common citizen? The government of the United States of America is just as bad as all the other governments in the world. Just what exactly are we supposed to do to solve the problem? Are nations just going to stop fighting so that the militaries can be put to rest? No.

You are arguing a moot point sir. I have plenty of answers that all rest in common sense. But is the rest of the world going to fall in line because I think that people should take personal responsibility and stop giving it away to a group of people with the authority to use force?

Anarchy? Too extreme and scary for most folks. Vigilantism? Too scary and extreme for most folks. Ignore it and hope it goes away? Too easy for some folks. Politics and governments are here to stay. The little guy - you and me - have next to no voice in the machinations of the power-elite.

I'm a veteran from a military family. I did my best to help protect our country from outside threats. I am not stupid however and can see as well as anyone that power corrupts. The military industrial complex in cahoots with the pharmacratic inquisition are enough to indicate that people have been hoodwinked and are taken for a ride emotionally, physically and mentally without regard for anything but profit.

I am confused by people like you who criticize vehemently yet offer no workable solutions.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

But is the rest of the world going to fall in line because I think that people should take personal responsibility and stop giving it away to a group of people with the authority to use force?

Who needs to fall in line?

There's no threat to the U.S. as such right now.

North Korea? Media and govt. goes hysterical over nothing!
Pakistan? U.S. Created this mess, now they want to make it worse
Iran? U.S. created alot of this mess, but now Iran is not a threat, they are blockaded by an armada of warships.

So what is this "falling in line" that you are reffering to?
I think you know who needs to fall in line.

Anarchy? Too extreme and scary for most folks. Vigilantism? Too scary and extreme for most folks. Ignore it and hope it goes away? Too easy for some folks. Politics and governments are here to stay. The little guy - you and me - have next to no voice in the machinations of the power-elite.

Wow, slim pickings?

You fought for your country but barely know your constitution?
To anwer your question how about limited govt. and following the constitution, how's that sound?

I'm a veteran from a military family. I did my best to help protect our country from outside threats.

Now will you fight to help protect your country from INSIDE threats?

I am confused by people like you who criticize vehemently yet offer to workable solutions.

And I am confused by people like you who understands the corruption yet decides to support it nonetheless.

Are you implying your way makes more sense than mine?

It's like your tired of the corruption, but once they give you a green uniform and a rifle you completely forget everything.
What's that all about?

No workable solution?
Really?

Tell me something, in the global scale of things what problem are you reffering too?

Are there no examples?

What about Switzerland? It's a limited govt. country being run very well.
Oh, and it doesn't seem to be involved in any war, it doesn't have bases all over the world, yet.... it's safer than the U.S.
Explain that!

You know what's funny. Some people say troops fight for our freedoms.
Switzerland is a limited govt. which means they have MORE freedoms than you, yet they are safer. Interesting no? So if terroists hate you for your freedom then why don't they hate free-er countries?

Mind boggling isn't it?

Fight for your freedoms?
Foreign occupation/installing puppet govt.s results in blowback, which means more terroism(blowback).

More terroism means more excuses to pass bills like patriot act and FISA bill and ownership of the internet.

So..... troops going abroad is depleting your freedoms in fact.

Funny isn't it.

To say there are no workable solutions is a lie.
Look at Scandanavia, look at Switzerland.

Learn by example.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I support the military men and women 100%. However the OP is a hypocrite, in my opinion, as he/she/it has shown repeatedly that they do not care for diversity of opinions in politics. Instead the OP has shown their previous posts that they would rather the voices that THEY do not agree with be silent or simply go away. And these aren't voices of extremists, these are voices of people, American citizens, who offer a difference of opinion on common political matters. Yet, the OP would label them as extremists.

You're a hypocrite, Grover. While you served your country to protect and uphold the constitution, you now flaunt words in your posts that run contrary to the constitution. There are plenty of fine soldiers who do get it and respect the diversity of opinions even though they may not agree with what is being said. You are not one of those people.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

MA, you sure offer a lot of criticism for a U.S. citizen who served their country when you, yourself are no longer a U.S. citizen and have oftentimes said how proud you are of that fact.

For someone who moved to Canada, you sure do have a lot of input about the country you so proudly abandoned.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Then get off ATS and make it happen bud! Go for it. You might get somewhere if you weren't on a conspiracy website harranging people who you should be trying to get on your side. Your strategy is alienating rather than serving any cohesive purpose. Talk about aggressive.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
MA, you sure offer a lot of criticism for a U.S. citizen who served their country when you, yourself are no longer a U.S. citizen and have oftentimes said how proud you are of that fact.

Firstly that's debatable
For me activists are serving their country way more than troops - sorry to say

Troops will just do as they are told like robots.
There's nothing patriotic about that
I'm sorry, i'm just being realistic.

Originally posted by sos37
For someone who moved to Canada, you sure do have a lot of input about the country you so proudly abandoned.

I am a freedom-loving individual
I have alot more of that here in Canada, more importantly so does my family
Because of that your labelling me as a deserter?

Secondly..... What about the victims?

Should I just say support our troops like other blind patriots do while innocent people are being bombed into smithereens?

hey people are being murdered, genocide is alive, but i'm no deserter!
riigghhhhhtttttt.

Here's the problem, Patriotism NEEDS to be defined.

If you support corruption, are you still a patriot?
If you fight for an immoral war that is bankrupting your country are you a patriot or an idiot?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

So you say.

But you are about as hostile as they get to anyone who does not share your right wing views... indeed you have said that I hate my country and do not support it because I believe that we were wrong to water board...

I have never once called for anyone whose opinion who differs from mine to be silenced.

... I would never say that you hate your country because your views are different than mine...
A quote from sos37

How can someone who has actually served their country in a military capacity, possibly even seen the enemy face to face, have such a cavalier attitude about your own countrymen as opposed to foreigners who would see us either converted to Islam or destroyed? I don't know how old you are, but is it because you weren't supported by America upon your return from Vietnam that you have such hate for your fellow Americans?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I can find plenty of other hate filled quotes of yours if you like.

So who spouts the rhetoric... who is the hypocrite?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by sos37

So you say.

But you are about as hostile as they get to anyone who does not share your right wing views... indeed you have said that I hate my country and do not support it because I believe that we were wrong to water board...

I would never say that you hate your country because your views are different than mine...

So who spouts the rhetoric... who is the hypocrite?

No, not wrong to waterboard, wrong to torture. To me it doesn't matter if waterboarding is considered torture or not. That's beside the point. What I believe is that sometimes it is necessary to break the rules (laws) in order to save the lives of U.S. citizens - even if that means torturing your precious detainees in Gitmo. Those people aren't exactly there because if their affiliation to the Boy Scouts.

I realize that wars are going to happen and lives are going to be lost regardless. But if we can do something to save the lives of OUR citizens and our allies, then dammit, that's what should be done.

OUR citizens. OUR allies. OUR Constitution, first. I side with your neighbor. I don't understand why you would replace "Old Glory" with a flag of the earth either. You served the military of OUR country to uphold OUR constitution. When you fly our nation's flag you are essentially flying a copy of our nation's constitution. And when you replace it with something else, how can you question why people would think you don't love your country?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am sure you support the troops by having a bumper sticker on your car and a little flag on the antenna and that is about it.

I am currently doing volunteer work at my local DAV chapter and up at our local VA hospital...

And you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join