It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Arrests Journalist...Must See!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This video has been making the rounds amongst the LEO and anti LEO crowds today...Do you think this police officer overreacts?

A great lesson in what not to do in escalation management...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Welcome to the fascist police state.

The cop goes for the journalist when he expresses his rights and I do think the cop overreacts. If the journalist's vehicle needed to be moved for safety reasons, the cop should have said so. Journalists will (should) speak up and the cop should know this.

The cop should get fired - see you down at the mall buddy...

Edit for typo.

[edit on 5/24/2009 by mithrawept]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This has already been discussed in lenght here. There was some speculation that the over turned truck might have had some military stuff in it. There is a base nearby and the first people on the scene were in uniform.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So you only get the news after it's been sanitized by the military and LEO's so it can then be spoon-fed to the journalists?

As long as the journalist is not in the way or preventing the "clean up" people from doing their job, the journalist should be allowed to take whatever risks he deems necessary to get the story. They stand in the line of fire to get war stories. How was this different?

If it turns out to be a matter of national security (isn't everything these days?) then they'd confiscate his tape and slap a gag order on him.

Short answer: the cop over reacted and was obviously on a power trip. And what was up with that cameraman? He was all over the place!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The question posed in the video at the end is "Who went to far?"

The answer is, the cop. They WERE leaving, the guy did sort of mumble something under his breathe as he was leaving and the cop ran up and grabbed him threatening to arrest him.

The guy said repeatedly "Ok were are going to go now" and for no reason that I can see, the cop said "You know what? You're under arrest."

This cop was STUPID. He pulled something so dumb right on camera. Those televison cameras by the way ore VERY expensive. He is lucky he did not do any damage to it while wrestling it away from the camera man.

What we have here is a cop who can not handle having authority. He can not handle it because when he gets excited he escalates the situation way past where it needs to be. He should have let the guy go and left it at that.

There was no need to grab him, threaten to arrest him or arrest him, period. The fact that this cop was so ready pull such a stupid stunt on camera(he shouldnt be doing this with or with out a camera present) only speaks for his own intelligence.

I truly believe that most cops are not corrupt, moronic egotistical losers. Unfortunaltey it is cops like the one in the video who are responsible for all cops in general having a bad repuatation.

This cop is now a desk jockey until the investigation is over. If the cheif of police is honest it should be a pretty cut and dry case considering the whole thing is on video....

The cop is a moron. If I was chief of police I would not want a moron like that working for me. You know why? Because a cop who gets all worked up like that is a liability.

Just think how this cop might react if someone is actually doing somethinb bad? What would have happened if the journalsit refused to leave? Would we have a dead body or two on this cops hands?

This cop is a disgrace to the badge....

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
How typical of cops period! While there are some officers that conduct themselves appropriately, this is the face that most of us see of Law Enforcement and it ain't pretty!

What galls me the most is all that sir, yes sir crap that we all feel we must say to these people especially when they are OBVIOUSLY abusing their power. I have seen many cops break camera equipment when people in the neighborhood taped their behavior. Things got so bad at one time that whole neighborhoods would come out with their cameras and phones. It took some doing but all those dirty cops were finally found out and removed from the force. Whenever they fear cameras.......

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
the cop was right. he was alone so he had to do something. the reporter had no business messing with the cop's job. if you people know anything about insurance you'd know that if the cop makes a mistake on a police report YOU WILL LOSE THE INSURANCE CLAIM!!

it doesn't matter if you plow into a schoolbus full of nuns. if the cop says you hit the left side instead of the right side then the nuns lose! period.

having the reporter there messing with people's heads could easily ruin the whole situation.

the cop did not overreact he was even leniant.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Hate to say it but you do have a point about the claim. It does seem like the cop overreacted.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Yes the Cop was out of line. And reporters have a right to film the new's.
If we do not have that then they , the police and the sort will get so out of control that we will not know the truth.

This Cop was worried about one thing. Getting filmed !
Besides the police have tried to say they where sorry and did not do the right thing.
I am waiting to see what comes of this and what is going on in the court's.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I am reminded of the time when I witnessed a police officer being arrested by a citizen when I was in college. The police officer was much smaller than the person he was supposedly assaulting. From the very beginning the cop tried to exert his will over this guy who was walking somewhere from a bar. I was outside with my friend smoking a cigarette waiting for my girlfriend to pick us up because there was no way either of us were driving.

I don't know if the cop was off duty or something, but it seemed as though he was just questioning the guy. About 2 min into them conversing the cop raised his voice and said, "don't make me kick your ass, boy". That's when it happened, the police officer took out his baton and ribbed the guy really hard. I heard it from the good 40 feet away I was standing. It could have been a cracked rib. As soon as the police officer did that, the guy somehow put the cop on his back, took his cuffs and cuffed the cop. The larger man started citing all of these laws that the cop had broken, one was assault, another was obstruction of justice etc. Perhaps the guy was undercover but he called 911 and left. I watched as 3 min later the police arrived to get their guy outta handcuffs. There must have been 5 or 6 people watching this, including my friend. It was the most wild thing I've ever seen ever. My friend and I thought some dude just pulled a fast one on a police officer. Either way, I know it doesn't contribute too much, but it was nice to see a cop that was way outta line get put back in line. Just like anyone else, it's good to see a person who is acting up get defused.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

How is "messing with other people's heads" going to hamper the officer's ability to do his job?

Officer was out of line. Way, way out of line.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

what do you mean how? isn't it obvious. if the reporter goes around asking questions and maybe leading here or there trying to create a juicy story then the people in the accident could be confused about something.

how is that hard to understand? clearly you have never lost an insurance claim because of a triviality. it happens every day. that dumb ass reporter can wait until teh cop is done to ask questions. if the reporter had resisted i think the cop had every right to taze him.

for all we know the cars were full of gun carrying dope smugglers. just because it's popular to dislike cops doesn't mean each and every one of you doesn't owe them an arm and a leg for something they've done for you in the past.

how would you feel if a team of reporters came up to you at your job while you were doing something important? my guess is what you do has nothing to do with handling an automobile accident.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Having been a police officer for many years I think it is fair to say this Sgt over reacted. But, let me play devil's advocate or defense attorney here. This is kind of the classic "he wasn't moving fast enough" arrest. It is arguable that the reporter and the cameraman's presence was creating a hazard due to where they had parked. Or perhaps they were in an area that had been deemed a crime scene and again their presence at that point could be said to be "obstructing justice". In either case the police officer can ORDER the obstructing parties to move to a safer location (not for their safety, as a journalist they can enter disaster scenes without being stopped by law enforement. This would be for the safety of other motorists, people etc) they need to hit the bricks. If they don't move fast enough for the cop's liking they can be arrested.

Now I'll grant you, this was not a good showing of judicious use of force. While he may be OK in a technical sense I think he's going to have some problems justifiying his escalation of force...which equals $ signs.

One final thing...please don't flame me for this "defense" of the officer. I personally think he was an idiot in this situation and deserves to be disciplined for his actions. I just know what defense angle he's going to assert.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by PhoenixDemon]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Mozzy...OK, first, I like the DBZ avatar, Goku is awesome...BUT you are way off on your summation of the cop having the "final word" in his report. While the accuracy of the report is important, I can tell you that as a PI it is common to find mistakes in police reports. This does not mean suddenly that an insurance claim is lost because of it. Quite often the patrol officer is found to have inaccuracies in his initial report by other detective level personnel conducting a follow up. So in your example of someone hitting the side of a bus full of nuns...With a thorough investigation, be it by PD, or PI, the truth will come out and the insurance claim will be processed as it should.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy
reply to post by eNumbra

what do you mean how? isn't it obvious. if the reporter goes around asking questions and maybe leading here or there trying to create a juicy story then the people in the accident could be confused about something.

You didn't answer how. How does a reporter doing his job alter the events of the story. Do you assume all reporters go out and fabricate?

how is that hard to understand? clearly you have never lost an insurance claim because of a triviality.
Clearly. Does this mean you have? Would that be your bias? or are you simply jumping down upon a reporter doing his job just because of money. If the officer does his job properly he won't make a trivial mistake.
And as PhoenixDemon just so kindly pointed out, they make mistakes all the time anyway, and are often cleared up later with the insurance claim being taken care of properly regardless.

it happens every day. that dumb ass reporter can wait until teh cop is done to ask questions. if the reporter had resisted i think the cop had every right to taze him.
That "dumb ass" reporter has every right to do his job. The question is, who was discourteous first?

for all we know the cars were full of gun carrying dope smugglers.

What?

just because it's popular to dislike cops doesn't mean each and every one of you doesn't owe them an arm and a leg for something they've done for you in the past.

What? You're kidding right? Police should only do their jobs if we bend over backwards thanking them and pandering to their whims? Get real.

how would you feel if a team of reporters came up to you at your job while you were doing something important?
Same as I do with salesmen, I ask them to leave.

And how did one reporter and one camera man become a "team" of reporters?

my guess is what you do has nothing to do with handling an automobile accident.
And that has anything to do with anything how?

[edit on 5/25/2009 by eNumbra]

[edit on 5/25/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There was no crime scene there, the accident happened on the other side of the road. There were tons of people there and only the reporter gets arrested. He wasn't after a juicy story either, he was trying to get the story from the offduty military personnel who were the heroes of the scene when they pulled the truck driver out of the wreckage.
[Edit] And yeah there were other cops there too so his job wasn't endangered.

[edit on 25/5/2009 by PsykoOps]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Absolutely love that video.

It's been posted here, at least once, soon after it happened...

In my opinion the guy was just having a bad day.

For all we know, he was scheduled to end his shift and then had this messy accident happen.

You can see firefighters were there already and even a reservist? in camo can be seen running into frame towards the end.

I'm only posting to remind what a piece of lying sack of poo that guy from CNN is... Him and David Gurgen and most of the lot of CNN should be deported to Guantanamo to be waterboarded for being enemy's of the state; traitors.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Honestly though, that makes no sense at all that cop should be suspended without pay to be taught a lesson on how not to act.
What honestly gave him the right to act that way towards the reported there were other people standing around, weren't there?

A perfect reason for citizens to fight back if I ever got treated in that matter I would throw down with that unlawful pig...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
These types of events will become very common, or rather they are already common. The cop was on a power-trip, and why wouldn't he be with the powers that he has. Just wait until martial law, you will witness the worst police brutality since the Nazis.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixDemon

i'm sorry but you are completely wrong. when an insurance claim gets filed the insurance company will deny payment unless proven wrong. exceptions to this are all state and state farm. they are GOOD about paying claims.

if there is ANY discrepancy about who is at fault the case is referred to arbitrations. every insurance company has this department. the arbitrators will try their best (which usually means least) to prove their case in writing and send it to a judge in denver. (this applies to texas). the judge in denver will then decide who is right and who is wrong. the judge will ALWAYS, 100% of the time deny ANY claim that makes a claim against a police report.

this is an absolute fact and there is nothing you can do about it. yes i have personal experience dealing with this so there is nothing you can say to sway my view.

as far as yoru view on the accident i respect what you ahve to say and i also respect yoru leniancy in dealing with a situaiton like this. it's your job and you have the right to decide how it's done.

however, your argument is based on $. we all know what you're saying as well as you do. this cop was alone and the circumstances according to the video are bleak. the cop had every right to make the reporter view the scene from a distance and to wait until he was done.

now you could sit here and split hairs about what "a distance" means. does this mean the reporter could put the camera on a victim's nose? could he place his hands on a wound and remove clothing to be more visible? at what point do you draw that line?

maybe your'e right and i'm wrong. im' fine with that. but personaly speaking the cop had every right under those circumstances to protect the victims until the facts were known.

edit to add:

and yes, i have personally with my own eyes seen a case where nuns were the victim of an accident and they lost their case due to a technicaly.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Mozzy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join