It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Light Attack Chopper "Shahed 285" Joins Iran Fleet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikationFirst of all, I just can't wait to see them Photoshop this new helicopter taking flight. I wonder if they'll use the identical rocket plume again but make it look like it's coming from the helo's exhaust?

Have you seen the youtube clip? If you havent, go and weep your tears since it has taken flight.

Second, what's the strategic function of something like that?

Reconnaisance perhaps? Just what the US UAV's and recon helo's are doing?

Against American and Israeli anti-aircraft systems, a first generation helicopter is going to be shredded to pieces.

Just like the US UAV's and recon helo's are gonna get shredded by Iranian AA systems...

Nobody else really poses a threat to Iran.

The US is. It has ~200.000 soldiers on 2 of the major countries bordering Iran on either side.

Also the US and Israel have the motives to invade Iran. Israel due to nuclear development of Iran and the US can get revenge on the 79 revolution.

I can see maybe having a few of those on hand for border patrol against militants trying to come in from Afghanistan or Iraq, but can that thing even stand up to their firepower?

That depends on situation. From long distance, militants are gonna be cake to walk over. Up close and personal is realy dangerous. Especialy if the militants are bearing RPG's and PKM's

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Looks like a dressed up version of the Bell civilian helo.

Iran dresses up some old technology, like the F-5 which they added a V twin tail and they still try to cobble together F-14's.

I would give them about an hour...then their entire air force would be toast.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hi,

people who guessed it's based on the Bell 106 are correct. Actually it's based on the Iranian copy, the Shahed 278.

Note the different stabilizer position relative to Bell 206

The blue one, the Guards Navy version, is shown with two 'Kowsar' light anti-ship missiles not "Noor" though. Kowsar have ranges of 15 - 25 miles depending on version and flight circumstances.

All in all and interesting but generally less capable attack helicopter. Oddly there doesn't seem to be any attempt to shroud the exhaust from IR missiles.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by planeman]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by planeman

looking at the available data for the Noor i do think your right - the C-802 would have crippled the israeli ships given the warhead is near enough the same as a harpoon , but the C-701 has a dinky 29kg warhead (noor and harpoon are both around 200kg) and puts it right up to the british Sea Skua helicopter lightweight ASM - ehich need 3 or 4 to seriously damage a ship.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
It is SOOO CUTE!!!

Seriously! I think the Huey Cobras we flew late in the Vietnam War were more advanced than this flying can of Spam. Iran is big on exaggerating its "home-built military industry". I suspect major damage would be inflicted by an American-made paint ball gun.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
reply to post by JanusFIN

Unfortunately, here in America (Cleveland, OH), when I have security guards chasing me down the street with guns and the intent to kill, I don't have one of these things to defend myself with. These folks harass black americans in Cleveland for no reason, so I know what it's like to be on your guard every minute even though you haven't done anything wrong, knowing that your next step could be your last. Those poor Iranians have my sympathy without a doubt.

I say they have the right to build a nuclear reactor whenever they feel like it.

You do know that the Iranians have a history of overt racism against blacks, no, I didn't think so. Do some reading about your wonderful "friends" and learn how they would treat you if you were in Tehran right now:

foreigndispatches.typepad.com...

Meanwhile - I believe the Shahed 285 was derived from the Shahed 278, itself a reverse engineered Bell 206.

Nevertheless, the Iranians are taking an evolutionary path that was followed by the Chinese, Israelis, and Russians before them, countries that now produce some of the finest military equipment available today.

It's a pity that Iran is ruled by the mad Mullahs, because the Persian people have always been intellectually advanced, and really belong with us in the thinking world.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
OK enough already...

It flies.
It has Guns.
It's homemade.
It probably crashes to.

What more do you want?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JmurmanLooks like a dressed up version of the Bell civilian helo.

Just like the Kiowa is! How amazing isnt it that armed recon helo's resemble each other so much!

Iran dresses up some old technology, like the F-5 which they added a V twin tail and they still try to cobble together F-14's.

Early start of an indigious millitary complex. And to achieve all of this under heavy sanctions, simpley amazing.

I would give them about an hour...then their entire air force would be toast.

Iran IS NOT like Iraq... It will NOT be a pushover. When you go to war against Iran, you must expect heavy casulties. So maybe your statement is right but in that hour, US airpower will be badly hurt too.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolfIt is SOOO CUTE!!!

Yeah, untill a patrol gets discoverd and fired upon by these helo's.

Seriously! I think the Huey Cobras we flew late in the Vietnam War were more advanced than this flying can of Spam.

Different helo's, different tasks...

Iran produces Cobra's that are just as good as the American counterparts.

Iran is big on exaggerating its "home-built military industry".

In the face of sanctions and early steps into true indigious designs, they are doing a pretty good job.

I suspect major damage would be inflicted by an American-made paint ball gun.

Funny you say that. More Apaches have been brought down then Kiowa's. Just read Harlequins post.

Some of those Apaches have been brought down by mere Kalashikov's whilest the Apache is supposed to be 20mm AA proof.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69It probably crashes to.

Like any other helo would do when the limits of the helo are broken through.

What more do you want?

More respect for the enemy's equipment. Singapore was conquered by the Japanese when the Brittish defenders heavely underestimated the Japanese.

If the precautions where unnecessary, at least you can live on to tell the tale and blurp out propaganda. If you dont you might die on the battlefield with the enemy blurping out propaganda.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

Well EEEXXXCCUUSSSEEE me!

I wasn't laughing at the Chopper I was laughing at the ridiculousness of peoples responses and thanks for the second grade history lesson.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Okay...

Civility and decorum will be the order of the day, and on topic discussion will prevail...

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

OOPS!!

Sorry for mine unnecesary reply towards you but English is not mine native tongue and detecting sarcasm is usualy very hard to tell, especialy when your native language isnt English.

Feel a bit embarrasd right now

I realy should have deserved this:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What we need to realise is its not how big the chopper is or how heavily armed.....if those missiles are fired and they hit the target....we've met our mandate!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Looks cheap yet effective. May not be as heavily equipped as the AH-64, but it won't matter if they outnumber the Apache in combat.

Probably best used to support special operations IMO.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
HAHA that does not look like a very well made flying machine... poor Iranians!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
it looks like it might be ok for local sheriffs to harass pot growers but in real combat i would say its flying coffin for pilot and a quick way to paradise.
i believe a semi-competent rifle man with a 30-06 could probably down one of these so called attack choppers. if they were smart they might try buying the plans to comanche or hind or havoc

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It beggars belief the arrogance of some posters.

Have any of you been on the receiving end of a few hundred machinegun rounds? No?

You have? Well then you know as well as I do that it is immaterial as to what delivers those rounds - man, tank, fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

You'll be hugging and eating the mud as quick as you can, before that chopper makes another pass.

That little chopper may not be up to Apache, Cobra or Hind standards but, if it catches you out in the open when you have nowhere to run to or hide in, it will still eat you for breakfast and come back for seconds.

Don't be so fast to write off somebody else's kit. Remember Goliath was wearing some pretty impressive armour and carrying a very large battle sword.

He was slain by David who wore no armour and was only armed with a leather sling and a few stones!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Keep in mind that many western attack helicopters are essentially just gun platforms built on commercial helicopter frames. The Cobra is a Huey without the big cabin. The armed versions of the Huges (now MD) and Bell light attack helicopters are exactly military versions of commercial helicopters. The Apache and Blackhawk are purpose built military helicopters (although you can buy a civilian version of the blacckhawk) but mostly what one gets from the purpose built aspect of it is that they cost way more and offer more ability to survive small arms fire and crashes. Even with that huge expense though, we saw in Somalia that a Blackhawk can be downed with a RPG, as I would suspect is also the case with an Apache.

Let's face it helicopters are slow and by their nature (light weight and fragile) not very difficult to shoot down. THe significance of Iran making their own helicopter is only that now they have the capability to build a helicopter if they are being embargoed. Sadam had tons of helicopters during the Gulf War and the invasion of Iraq but they didn't do him much good against the USAF, not would these helicopters help Iran much in a similar senario. I think that most of these anouncements of indiginous weapons from Iran are meant primarrily for internal consumption. Much like the military shows that the Soviet Union used to do, the Iranian Govt wants it's people to feel secure against outside enemies and frightened of the power of their own govt. to squash any rebellion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join