It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Light Attack Chopper "Shahed 285" Joins Iran Fleet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Iran is making new weaponry... Chopper Shahed 285 --- This just came out:

The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)'s latest homemade attack helicopter, the Shahed (Witness) 285, has joined Iran's aerial fleet. The Shahed 285 was unveiled Sunday on the anniversary of the 1982 liberation of the Iranian city Khoramshahr -- which was occupied by Iraqi forces during the 1980-88 war.

The IRGC says the state-of-the-art helicopter is capable of taking part in seaborne and airborne combat operations. The Shahed 285 can carry autocanons, machine guns, guided missiles, anti-armor missiles and air-to-air and air-to-sea missiles.

The "100-percent domestic-made all-weather aircraft" has a slick aerodynamic design and is capable of taking off in harsh conditions.

The chopper's rotors and cabin are made from advanced composite materials. The newly developed aircraft is easy-to-maintain and can be stored in combat zones for immediate access.

A number of Shahed 285s -- which have successfully passed numerous test-flights -- were handed to the IRGC Air Force on Sunday.

Iran's latest endeavor follows the successful test-fire of its new deterrent ballistic missile, the Sejjil II, which has a 2000-kilometer surface-to-surface range.

Over the years after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, internationally blockaded Iran has managed to design and manufacture various missiles, fighters, stealth aircraft, drones, submarines, radar systems, and military vessels.

www.presstv.ir...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Look's like a flimsy peice of crap.

Nothing else to add.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Look's like a flimsy peice of crap.

You probably wouldn't be saying that if it was in the process of firing a couple of 50 cal's and some missiles at your house.. with you in it

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
My fast opinions from what I just saw,

- Light model seems to be easy to produce in large numbers

- It has size of Cobra - but looks like small brother of Apache

- Blue NAVY model seems to carry air to sea missile in vid ( red missile )

- Six new choppers handed and showed in this video, with multiple armaments

- Its small size and design can be advantage?

I really wait to hear your analysis from this new opponent - if there is some one who really knows about these birds --- and in case of Iranian war...

BTW: In my eyes - this was another new sign, how Iran is not a third world country... Was there any foreknowlege / leaked info from this chopper?

[edit on 24-5-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It looks like they took a news helicopter, cut it in half long-ways, and put a couple of missile pods and a gun on it. Should make a nice target for REAL attack helo's.

Originally posted by JanusFIN
It has size of Cobra - but looks like small brother of Apache

You are kidding, right?...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It looks cute! A pretty lil' whirly burd!

I wonder what type of Avionics package it is rocking? No doubt nothing that is up to current standards. Mass production seems to be the feel of it.

L2 Electronic warfare.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is good. Way to go, Iran!

I'm sure it has advanced Russian engineering. You know those Ruskies. They can equip their fighter planes with vacuum tubes and heavy loads of metal welded in a haphazardly way and they'd still fly faster than anything America can come up with.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I was thinking it looked like an anorexic shark. If they were going to try and make it current, at least try to take some modern advantages to it like geometric shaping to give it some stealth to radar, but they went with typical curves so these things will drop out of the sky honestly.

Edit to add: I'll bet one of our UAV Fire Scouts will probably be able to take one of these out easily. Even outmaneuver based on lack of a human pilot in the cockpit.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by spec_ops_wannabe]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Congratulations to Iran. They amaze me with their technical know-how. Their engineers really know how to apply technology pretty well. Theory and implementation are two different things and they have a pretty good command of both.

Unfortunately, here in America (Cleveland, OH), when I have security guards chasing me down the street with guns and the intent to kill, I don't have one of these things to defend myself with. These folks harass black americans in Cleveland for no reason, so I know what it's like to be on your guard every minute even though you haven't done anything wrong, knowing that your next step could be your last. Those poor Iranians have my sympathy without a doubt.

I say they have the right to build a nuclear reactor whenever they feel like it.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Some pretty ignorant remarks on here - Iran has only recently announced their new two stage ICBM capable of taking out cities in Israel and confirmed by the west - they develop their own highly advanced jets, artillery, rockets, boats and tanks. The idea they are third world is laughable.

There are very very few nations which are self reliant - the powerful thing about this is that no one can refuse to sell them arms during conflict - a lesson learnt as they defended themselves from America and Saddam.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
... - a lesson learnt as they defended themselves from America and Saddam.

Er... Has Iran been at war with the US? If not, then how have they defended themselves against the US?

On topic. We don't know much about this helicopter. It has the look of a Jet Ranger so I wonder whether the Iranians have used that heli as a template. I would question whether it is an attack helicpter in the class of the Cobra, Apache, Tiger, Rooivalt(sp), Mi24 et al as it does look rather flimsy and light. Perhaps more an armed recon heli.

Half the problem is producing a decent helicopter. The rest is integrating worthwhile weapons and the associated electronics and communications to make it effective on the battlefield.

Iran probably justs needs a heli which it can show off at military parades to "show" the population that it is the self-proclaimed regional superpower which will protect them from the US, Israel and all the other demons it uses to keep the population subdued.

It is an achievement for Iran, but whether it is a technical masterpiece when set against helicopters produced by other nations would be questionable.

Regards

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Whilst I congratulate Iran on the apprent success of their own attack chopper, I have to agree with others in the sense it looks like a converted commercial design and looks pretty flimsy.

Having said that, the British Army up until recently used Lynx's as attack helicopters and they did the job pretty well, despite not being designed for the job.

I suppose these new choppers would be useful for recon or other light roles, but I doubt they would be able to stand up in any kind of protracted engagement with Western forces.

It's all a stepping stone, anyway. The UK only has Apaches now because we acquired the design of the Yanks, prior to that our own Attack helicopter cpability was pretty weak(It must be said that the BAe modifications to UK Apaches has made them quite a different beast to the US version, however)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Listen not to be rude but due to the fact that it look's like a modified bell jetranger 3 well...

A fifty cal and some missiles would more than likeley over load the thing and send it crashing into wood's.

Waiting for the next comedy instalment from Iran with an open mind.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Now, my thoughts...

First of all, I just can't wait to see them Photoshop this new helicopter taking flight. I wonder if they'll use the identical rocket plume again but make it look like it's coming from the helo's exhaust?

Second, what's the strategic function of something like that? Against American and Israeli anti-aircraft systems, a first generation helicopter is going to be shredded to pieces. Nobody else really poses a threat to Iran. I can see maybe having a few of those on hand for border patrol against militants trying to come in from Afghanistan or Iraq, but can that thing even stand up to their firepower?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The ASM is the Noor (the red missile on the blue helo) , which is a licenced built version of the C-802 , with upgraded GPS and attack systems , the same C-802 which defeated israeli anti missile guns and hit the stealth frigate.

speed is high subsonic cruise with supersonic attack , and is very much comparable to the harpoon

www.globalsecurity.org...

modified jetrangers? likely - but you can see the armour placements , and `not to be rude` but apaches are falling out of the sky in iraq to AK-47`s and RPG`s , you can`t amour up a helo`s weakspots so they will all be vulnrable - and this likely uses speed nand agility vs the tank like approach of the HiND and Apaache.

audas -

iran has had 2 stage rockets for years - the news of this is that its solid fuel vs the liquid fuel of the shahab-3 , BUT i think they have tested the 3C and 3D versions recently - the 3B has a terminal maneuvering warhead and INS with newer systems having GPS and other abilities (or glasnost or whatever local sats they can patch into) - and is designed to defeat ABM systems with a CEP of around 30m source
which makes it as `good` as anything the west has this side of direct targetting (laser/microwave designation)

iran IRBM missiles:

Ashoura - 2 stage solid fuel sysem (newset missile)

Ghadr-101 (liquid /solid mix)

Fajr-3(MIRV)

the first and last are interesting as the rumours are they are now combined - a 2000km + range , 2 starge missile , with solid fule (short setup time) 3 MIRV warheads , each with INS and GPS for ultra low CEP (30m or less) and they can maneuver (tech deployed in shahab-3B , which is being replaced with 3C and 3D)

[edit on 26/5/09 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akaleeLook's like a flimsy peice of crap.

Flimsy, yes it is. But that is how armed light recon helo's usualy tend to be.

And it is NOT a piece of crap like you state it would be. It is small, light and yet fairly good armed and its cheap and easily mass produced.

Its ideal for guarding a border or search a wide area in numbers. It even can be used to enhance police work.

The naval version is good for assymetrical, multi angle AS/S warfare.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yes it looks like a piece of crap.... but to that I say "baby steps." The "threat" here does not come from the weapon itself but by the direction the country is going. How many programs were binned before the Mustang came along, or the F-15, or the Huey, or any other weapon created by any country seeking military power and an established infrastructure. I say threat because, the last thing we want is progress for these people, big corporations have very much to lose if countries like Iran jump into the first world, and become a first world economy.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
It looks like they took a news helicopter, cut it in half long-ways, and put a couple of missile pods and a gun on it. Should make a nice target for REAL attack helo's.

It might look that way but like i said earlier: light recon helo's usualy tend to look that way.

BTW, that last sentence is unbelievably stupid and worst of all: IGNORANT. (You are on ATS FFS!)

US has something similar: The Kiowa.

"The Kiowa should make a nice target for REAL attack helo's..."

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

upload.wikimedia.org...

^^ the latest version the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

hey , wow , looks like a modified jetranger 3 as well..... wonder if the US Army is wrong to bu then , en masse .

oh and you can`t hang a harpoon of it

edit:

i bet the iranian version isn`t $5 million each as well....

oh and the kiowa must be `crap` since the USA has lost 24 of then in operation enduring freedom

for the record 26 apache`s have been lost since 2003 in iraq and 24 kiowa`s have been lost in the same period , amazing for such a crap piece of kit then

not ba really when you can buy 3.2 kiowa for 1 apache

[edit on 26/5/09 by Harlequin]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join