It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unique Frogs and the Decline of World Frog Population

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You're very welcome!!

Intastella- It's true that species go extinct all the time, but this seems to be happening awfully fast and it's awfully widespread. It's a very very scary thing.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Thankyou Ravenshadow13

Yes, we've only seen two Froglets, but we suspect also that they may have been the same one Froglet. Froglets of course, are good at hiding, but we have observed the pond for a long time for the growth of the tadpoles, and out of the surviving tadpoles, we've only seen this one (or two) Froglet/s on the one day, along with the two adult frogs.

The fungal disease is indeed unpleasant, and is causing devastation. I've heard of various treatments, among which is heat, but seeing as Frogs abhor heat and can quickly die in hot sunlight, it sounds like it could do more harm than good.

We are losing species that we know, and that we barely knew existed at an incredible rate. I know you briefly mentioned the plight of Bees. I had a very interesting and scary conversation with a Beekeeper on the subject not so long ago, and one which highlights the importance of food chains.

Frogs are an important part of the eco-system. Should we lose them, it could be a catastrophe for the eco-system it resides in.

<< 1   >>

join