It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eighty Years of Pilot UFO sightings.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Hi Karl

How about the sighting of Captain Bowyer and his passengers near Jersey / Aldernay.

Both he and his passengers are very credible.

UFO Encounters

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

LightFantastic -good add.

Don't know if you've seen these two reports before but they're interesting reading for a rainy day.

A REVIEW OF SELECTED SIGHTINGS FROM AIRCRAFT FROM 1973 TO 1978

A REVIEW OF SELECTED AERIAL PHENOMENON SIGHTINGS FROM AIRCRAFT FROM 1942 TO 1952

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by JimOberg

UFO hovers over airport runway - pilots refuse to take off.

MOSCOW, January 27, 2001.

Debunk:

...According to the comment of a scientist from the Barnaul planetarium: Venus or the moon.

www.ufologie.net...

This was discussed at great length at 'whispers' UFO board. The runway was pointed directly at where Venus was, in fact, shining, and the time it set was the time the crew claimed it 'flew away'.

Jim -did you even click on the link?

The link provides no new useful information on the original case, just guesses by UFO enthusiasts about what the reports must mean -- but it does discuss a number of other cases in the area that even the website agrees were passionate misperceptions of Venus.

Which was Hynek's -- and my -- point.

And you can't wiggle out by saying, 'it was just ONE case, OK'. It was atypical in having adequate information to recreate the prosaic stimulus. In general, that's impossible in the other cases. We'll never know what the wealth of prosaic stimuli were in the areas of the reports.

When we can find out, we can usually find explanations. Most often, that's made impossible by the distance in time and space between the event and thorough investigators.

Prosaic stimuli abound. Pilots as a population are more prone than others to (properly) see everything and anything as a safety issue, and skew their perceptions in that direction. It's why they fly safely -- they know that 'false positives' may only be embarrassing but a single 'false negative' could mean death. How else do you want them to view their visual world?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

LightFantastic -good add.

I didn't offer the best link to be honest. There are plenty of videos on UT.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Jim, what amuses me about your posts is that you constantly deride 'UFO enthusiasts' yet abjectly refuse to address specific UFO incidents -you also often accuse others of 'tactics' you routinely employ yourself.

I've lost count of how many times I've asked your opinion about the true nature of the objects involved in certain UFO incidents only for you to just reply with evasive, ambiguous remarks.

Can I ask you the reason for this?

It seems strange that you should foster such strong opinions on the UFO subject yet avoid certain cases like the plague (is it just to advertise your homepage?)

If I am wrong and you realy are 'sincere' then I apologise - here are some of the cases I am referring to:

The Coyne Incident

The Tehran Incident

The RB-47 Incident

The Colares Incident

The Portage County Incident

The Alaska JAL 1628 Incident.

The Exeter Puzzle Incident

The Washington Merry go round

The Chiles-Whitted Incident

The Gosford Incident

The Minot AFB Incident (1968)

The Bariloche UFO Incident

The B-29 UFO Encounter (1952)

The Ellsworth AFB Incident (1953)

The Bethune case (1951)

The West Lothian Incident (1979)

The Shag Harbour Incident

The RAF Boulmer Incident

The Little Rissington UFO Incident

The Stephenville/Dublin UFO Incidents

The US Coastguard Lake Erie UFO Incident

Alternately you could post your opinions on these statements concerning the true percentage of actual unknowns - you must be aware of these figures so why don't you have the intellectual honesty to refer to them whilst pouring scorn and derision on people who take the UFO subject seriously?

"The opposite conclusion could have been drawn from The Condon Report's content, namely, that a phenomenon with such a high ratio of unexplained cases (about 30 percent) should arouse sufficient scientific curiosity to continue its study."
"From a scientific and engineering standpoint, it is unacceptable to simply ignore substantial numbers of unexplained observations... the only promising approach is a continuing moderate-level effort with emphasis on improved data collection by objective means... involving available remote sensing capabilities and certain software changes."
Ronald D Story - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics UFO Subcommittee -New York: Doubleday, 1980

"Probably the most striking discrepancy in the Condon report, however, was between its contents and conclusions. Condon had concluded that science could gain nothing from studying UFOs. Yet, the report ended up with a near 30 percent unexplained rate, and a core of cases that came within a hair's breadth of being conclusive evidence for the reality of alien technology – cases which, under the most rigorous analysis, appeared to be the result of extraordinary craft in the skies."
Richard Dolan PHD

"There are unidentified flying objects. That is, there are a hard core of cases - perhaps 20 to 30 percent in different studies - for which there is no explanation... We can only imagine what purpose lies behind the activities of these quiet, harmlessly cruising objects that time and again approach the earth. The most likely explanation, it seems to me, is that they are simply watching what we are up to." (Redbook, vol. 143)
Dr. Margaret Mead, world-renowned Anthropologist

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
I didn't offer the best link to be honest.

No, but thanks for posting it anyway -its realy is quite an interesting UFO case.

If you've not seen them before, there are some other links below including a pretty comprehensive Bufora report:

www.ufoevidence.org...
www.ufo-blog.com...
The Alderney, Channel Islands UFO Incident of April 23, 2007 (pdf)

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by JimOberg

Jim, what amuses me about your posts is that you constantly deride 'UFO enthusiasts' yet abjectly refuse to address specific UFO incidents -you also often accuse others of 'tactics' you routinely employ yourself.

Happy to add a smile to your day...

First to the chase -- there are lots of stories that I have no idea what was the cause of. That alaskan JAL account is one -- so is the 1964 Socorro story.

But in my model, unexplained cases are one natural outcome of an entirely prosaically-driven process.

I like to concentrate my discussions on cases where i know there's been serious point/counterpoint (prosecution/defense) adversarial research, and that was also Hynek's view -- something couldn't even be called a 'UFO' until it had actually been seriously investigated. The percentage values, I got from Hynek and Hendry. Condon was dealing with a pre-massaged data set.

And I've seen how much work -- and more importantly, how much luck -- was involved in developing a plausible prosaic explanation. The absence of such work and such luck is all I need to conclude 'not proven' on these stories.

Or do you prefer to deal with stories that are long ago and far away, and hence immune to good research? Aren't those qualities more characteristic of fairy tales?

Some spectacular pilot UFO stories can be generated by a combination of circumstance, stimulus, and human perceptual processes. You don't deny that, do you?l

Other skeptics have provided their proposed prosaic explanations for items on the list you provided -- I'd have to look at each one to see if I concurred. But that's not what I think is the issue, since the existence of stories such as these is a natural consequence of even current models of reality.

To prove the case for alteration of those models requires more compelling evidence, in my view.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Interesting radar/visual UFO incident over Rapid City,South Dakota:

One of the best radar confirmed sightings - so stated by Captain Ed Ruppelt,who headed the Air Force saucer investigations for several years - occurred near Rapid City, South Dakota, the evening of August 12, 1953. The events of that night started out like this. Shortly after dark, a woman spotter of the local Ground Observer Corps rang up the Air Defense Command radar station at Ellsworth AEB just east of Rapid City, and reported an extremely bright light to the northeast. The radar swung to the area the spotter had designated, and picked up a solid blip moving slowly. The heightfinding radar also picked it up and established the UFO at 16,000 feet. The warrant officer on duty at the radar station got a direct wire to the spotter, and they compared notes for about two minutes. In the middle of a sentence, the woman suddenly said that the object was starting to move towards Rapid City. The radar scope confirmed this, and the warrant officer sent two men outside for a visual check. They reported a large bluish-white light moving toward Rapid City. The three groups - the radar people, the outside men, and the woman spotter - watched the UFO make a swift sweep around Rapid City and then return to its original position. The warrant officer then called a jet fighter on patrol and put him on an intercept course. The light was still at l6,OOO feet. The pilot spotted the light visually, and had moved to within three miles of it, when the light took off north towards the Badlands. The pilot followed it 120 miles, with the light staying a couple miles ahead; and then, with fuel running low, the jet returned - with the UFO trailing him.

The jet squadron at the air field then stated that they were scrambling another F-84, with a skeptical combat veteran of World War II and Korea at the controls. Once he was airborne, radar worked him toward the UFO. The pilot quickly reported visual contact, and maneuvered to get above the light. The light headed northeast, with the F-84 behind but several thousand feet above it. The pilot, even though getting radar reports and seeing the light, was still skeptical. Once away from the Rapid City area, he turned off all his lights to see if it was a reflection on his canopy. The light was still there. Next he rolled his plane, to see if some unnoticed ground light was causing it. The light's position didn't change. Next he checked its motion against three bright stars - it moved with relation to them. He then figured, if it is real, my gunsight radar should pick it up. He activated his gun cameras, turned on his radar and got a solid blip. At this point he got scared - and remember, this was a man who'd fought Hitler's best airplanes and tangled with Mig 15's over Korea. But that large, bright, bluish-white light was more than he cared to chase any longer. He requested and received permission to abandon the chase. The UFO headed off toward Fargo, North Dakota, and a check minutes later showed that spotter posts between Rapid City and Fargo had seen and reported a fast-moving, bluish-white light. So there you are - two serial visuals, an aerial radar lock-on, two ground radar sightings, numerous ground visuals from several locations, and gun camera film which, when developed, showed a blurry object. No details - just a light source.

www.nicap.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
EM interference case from Paraguay,1991

1991: Paraguay.

A radar/visual UFO sighting was reported on the night of June 8 from two airplanes: a private Cessna 210 carrying three passengers, and a Paraguayan Air Lines flight from Asunción to Miami. Air traffic control at Asunción's airport detected an unknown radar track and also saw an object hovering over a runway. An official document from the Civil Aeronautical Agency of the Ministry of Defense confirms the radar detection. The Cessna's automatic direction finder (ADF) malfunctioned during the sighting. Pilot César Escobar reported:

"During close approaches, the Cessna instruments 'went crazy'... The (ADF) was moving around indiscriminately, without any sense of direction. When the light moved a little farther away, everything returned to normal. It repeated this 'game' several times. It seemed to be under intelligent control."

Link

---

Bizarre UFO sighting over Mexico:

1992/1993: Mexico.

In 1992/93, there were many UFO sightings over Mexico City. The sightings reported over the Benito Juárez International Airport on March 4-5, 1992 were confirmed by radar detection. One case was reported by pilots of two airliners while preparing to land around 4:00 p.m. on September 16, 1993. One pilot described the UFO as shaped like a praying mantis. He added:

"It was a beautiful day. I first thought it was a balloon, but... it was going too fast. We saw it really good and it was not a plane."

Link

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Finnish Air Force Pilots Chased 7 UFO Spheres over Pori, Finland in April 1969

Dozens of Air Force pilots sighted the UFOs over the Pori air field, according to this UFO documentary film (“Visitors from Space”). As fighter jets approached the UFOs, they started to ascend in formation and took off at a tremendous speed towards the north. They flew against the wind at a speed of 120mph.

Fighter pilot Tarmo Tukeva was ordered to fly towards these unknown objects. The UFO spheres had a light yellow colour, according to Tukeva. Tukeva’s fighter jet flew with a speed of 400mph, but the UFOs outdistanced the fighter jets and disappeared to the north. Tukeva couldn’t come up with any conventional explanation for this phenomenon.

Pori is situated in south western Finland.

This documentary segment can be seen at the start of the video:

realtvufos.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Pilot UFO encounter reported in the St. Louis, Missouri POST-DISPATCH of March 15, 1950:

Illinois Pilot Says He Saw 60-Foot Disk-Shaped Plane

Duquoin, Ill., March 15 (AP)--A Duquoin pilot entered on his air log that he 'encountered unidentified aircraft' on Feb. 22, but fearing ridicule, he didn't say much about it until yesterday. Richard Lemmon said friends insisted that he tell about the mystery ship.

So Lemmon, a Duquoin airport mechanic, gave this account:

He was flying with his wife from Wood River, Ill. At about 2000 feet over Pinckneyville he sighted a strange object, which appeared to be at about 5000 feet. He motioned to his wife and she indicated she also saw it.

He flew higher to investigate and saw what he said appeared to be a disk-shaped craft about 60 feet across and 10 feet thick. He said the disk tilted in the direction it was going to turn flew away at 'great speed,' leaving Lemmon's craft, which was doing 150 miles per hour."

www.project1947.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Interesting US Air Transport Command Intelligence Report from August 1947 describing pilots witnessing UFOs on a 'zig zag' course over Guam:

HEADQUARTERS FOURTH AIR FORCE
Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff, A-2
Intelligence
Hamilton Field, California

27 August 1947

SUBJECT: Flying Disc

TO: Headquarters, Sixth Army, San Francisco, California.
ATTENTION: G-2

1. Following is extract from the Weekly Intelligence Summary, Air Transport Command, Washington 25, D.C., dated 20 August 1947, Copy No. 120, Article I, pg 1:

"FLYING OBJECTS IN GUAM": Unidentified flying objects have been observed by three American enlisted men of the 147th Airways and Air Communications Service Squadron at Harmon Field, Guam. The men report that at 1040 hours on 14 August 1947 the two objects, which they describe as small, crescent shaped and traveling at a speed twice that of a fighter plane, passed over them on a zig-zag course in a westerly direction at an approximate altitude of twelve hundred feet.The objects disappeared into clouds and a few seconds later a similar object possible one of those previously observed, emerged from the clouds and
proceeded west. No further details have been reported."

DONALD L. SPRINGER
Lt. Colonel, GSC
AS of S, A-2

www.project1947.com...
www.ufomystic.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Documents ~ Pilot UFO Encounters:

Government document describing Eastern Airlines UFO incident witnessed by both pilots over Montgomery, Alabama, July ,1948:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/caa8d68ea964.jpg[/atsimg]
www.ufologie.net...

---

Declassified government report card and illustration for the Davis-Monthan AFB UFO Incident -1952:

Report card:

Illustration:

Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

---

OSI MESSAGE MCDILL AFB 1952:

"Eight unidentified luminous circular objects flying in formation, vicinity Langley AFB Va sighted by Capt. Frank Koepke, Pilot Pan American Airways while on New York - San Juan flight."

Title: CONFIDENTIAL SECURITY INFORMATION PRIORITY

To: CGAIRDEFCOM ENT AFB COLO

Authors: OSI, Macdill AFB, Florida.

Date: July 16, 1952

Classification: CONFIDENTIAL.

CC: ARMY, NAVY, CIA, AFSA, JCS, OOP, OSD.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27ebdc14d2e2.gif[/atsimg]

The following cable from 7th die OSI (10) MCDILL AFB FLA is quoted for your information. Quote - Eight unidentified luminous circular objects flying in formation, vicinity Langley AFB VA sighted by Captain Frank Koepko, Pilot Pan American Airways while on New York - San Juan flight. Objects sighted 14 July 52, at approximately 2100 hrs. Witness by W B Nash, co-pilot and Bill Prontenberry,engineer. Crew members stated circular objects turned to avoid collision with airliner. Estimated speed - thousand miles per hour. Crew members being interviewed by OSI at Miami, Fla.

www.ufologie.net...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
CIA Document referring to this RAF 'flying disc' incident over Yorkshire, England,1952:

September 19
A British Meteor jet aircraft was returning to the airfield at Topcliffe, Yorkshire, England, just before 11 A. M. As it approached for landing, a silvery object was observed following it, swaying back and forth like a pendulum. Lieutenant John W. Kilburn and other observers on the ground said that when the Meteor began circling, the UFO stopped. It was disk-shaped, and rotated on its axis while hovering. The disk suddenly took off westward at high speed, changed course, and disappeared to the southeast.

Document:

'British Activity in the Field of UFOs':

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/884179506585.jpg[/atsimg]

"In some RAF field, there was some sort of demonstration to which high officials of the RAF in London had been invited. During the show, a 'perfect flying saucer' was seen by these officials as well as RAF pilots. So many people saw it that many articles appeared in the public press. This is distressing to [Dr] Jones because he realises that the creation of the correction of public opinion is a part of his responsibilities."

www.uk-ufo.org...

Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

1951 USAF Intelligence Report

This report describes a rather up-close and personal UFO encounter on July 9, 1951, by the pilot of an F-51 fighter plane from Lawson Air Force Base in Georgia. The pilot, a combat veteran from World War Two, provided quite a bit of detail, which was recorded in the report:

“Object described as flat on top and bottom and appearing from a front view to have rounded edges and slightly beveled. From view as object dived from top of plane was completely round and spinning in clockwise direction.... Object did not appear to be aluminum. Only 1 object observed. Solar white. No vapor trails or exhaust or visible system of propulsion. Described as traveling [at] tremendous speed....Pilot states object was 300 to 400 feet from plane and appeared to be 10 to 15 feet in diameter....Pilot states he felt disturbance in the air described as ‘bump’ when object passed under plane....Pilot is considered by associates to be highly reliable, of mature judgement and a creditable observer".

keyholepublishing.com...

---

1954 Maxwell AFB Emergency Report

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c11cd66417bf.jpg[/atsimg]

The report describes the entry into airspace of a “strange stationary object variable in brilliance” which moved rapidly, then returned to its original position. The base sent a helicopter to investigate. The pilot’s assessment: “definitely not a star.” Many people watched this object from the tower, and a civilian tower radioed that it also had it in sight. The object became dimmer, showed a slight red glow, and disappeared.

According to the report:

“...pilot of helicopter wished to stress fact that the object was of a saucer-like nature, was stationary at 2000 ft. And would be glad to be called upon to verify any statement and act as witness.”

It is worth noting that copies of this report were sent to the CIA, the National Security Agency (NSA), the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and each of the military services.

keyholepublishing.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Pilot UFO reports from the Vietnam War:

Pilot report from Danang:

Object Description:

Red and white at a distance of five feet outside the rotor disk and 200 feet over the airstrip at DaNang. No photo but I'll never forget what it looked like.

Additional Information:

This is from memory but it was just after lunch. About 1300 on a July day. Sunshine and clear skies. Unlimited visibility. We took off and slowed way down at 200 feet. From 7 o'clock this thing comes up and starts to pace us about five feet outside of the rotor disk. The pilot called back to the field but radar said he saw nothing on the scope. Just us. We accelerated to the point that the aircraft shook and the thing stayed right there. Maybe a minute, then it just left us like we were backing up. You could hear it like an artillery shell over the noise of the aircraft. Best I recall it headed due north across the bay from DaNang.

militaryufo.blogspot.com...

---

Viet Nam USMC Vet Observes Objects Following Jet Aircraft

Number of witnesses: 4

Number of objects: 8

Shape of objects: Just a dot in sky except for one, very bright red/blue light.

Full Description of event/sighting: We were sitting at the end of the flight line watching the Phantom F-4 jets take off on a bomb run when we saw the first of strange lights in the sky. They seemed to follow the jets, as a matter of fact (after talking with a mate in the tower) they were following the jets. At first there were only two lights, but in no time there were eight objects close to the jet aircraft. We thought they were MIG'S and radioed the same, but to our dismay no MIG aircraft were seen on the radar at that time.

They continued to follow for quite some time, now this is where it gets kind of weird. The jets came back to base and the pilots were saying they were being followed by an, quote - "Unidentified Aircraft". As the airplanes landed and the objects followed them to with in approximately 1000 feet of the run way. We could vaguely make out a shape of two of them, they were oval in shape with lots of lights and a very strange amber glow. The objects hovered for about 20 seconds, then they all shot off at a high rate of speed and were gone.

www.ufoinfo.com...

UFO Reports During The Vietnam War.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Great clip from the 2005 documentary "UFOs: Seeing is Believing" which contains some very interesting pilot interviews:

Google Video Link

Peter Jennings investigating UFOs in American History

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Kenneth Arnold asks a pertinent question about pilot UFO sightings (found at 20:20).

Google Video Link

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
UFOs reported by pilot Lerdo de Tejada:

Link

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join