It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith is retarded (Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by badmedia

But one can have blind faith in other things as well. Not just that a creator exists.

Yes, this is what happens when people just accept things they are told. When one accepts things as truth, then one will lack understanding. As Einstein said - any fool can know, the point is to understand.

There is blind faith in many things. It is how the "wicked" get their power/control.

Take a look at Psalm 82.

2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

This entire world is built on accepting, which allows other people to think for you, and thus leaves one without understanding and dependent on those they accept.

Religion as an institute and system of blind faith is just a symptom of the problem.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Faith is retarded...but so are humans so it figures that such a phenomena exists.Faith in any other given circumstance in life is usually backed up by evidence or reason,when it comes to religion it does not.If i smeared myself in peanut butter everyday because i had faith it would make me live to 573 years old you would probably ask me the reasons why i think this,and if my reasons were silly you would not take me seriously.This video sums up what i mean.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

This video is 23 minutes long... how can it SUM UP anything?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

From your mouth (keyboard) to their ears (eyes). You couldn't have mirrored my views better had I told you the words. Well said.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Really? Not in this particular thread, I'd say... The name calling I'm seeing is being done by the non believers...

As for the real world, I'd say the honors are split pretty evenly these days... Both sides need to, in my not so humble opinion, grow up. My faith is my own, I don't force it on others, nor should you.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

believers are name callers too, they just use words like "sinner" and "going to hell" as their pejoratives.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Oh, I'm aware of that. The self righteous on both sides annoy the hell (pun intended) out of me.

I believe, yet I am neither "retarded", nor "inbred"... strange that...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I hear ya there...

I believe too... that I am God.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

What an inflammatory self righteous judgmental video.

Not to mention incorrect in my cases. The study of Christian apologetics is nothing but the study of evidence confirming our beliefs.

But I guess I don't know what I'm talking about since I'm a 'retarded imbred idiot' and a field I've studied intently for approximately a decade doesn't exist.
After all, there is a You Tube video explaining how it's all blind faith so it must be true.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Despite some of the imagery, that video had me laughing! I doubt it will change any believer's mind about anything, but he made a lot of good points. Great video, great find! S&F

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
You do realize that if you came across a group of people who had never experienced the status quo, who had no perception of religion or it's stories. That both would be taken just as jokingly.

3 little pigs is just as ridiculous as Noah building an arc, then running around gathering millions of species to pack on a boat. While john the carpenter is bumping out cages and tanks at a rate of 100,000 a second.

Give me a break, bible is completely ridiculous. Anyone over 5 that hasn't been brainwashed by parents can see this. The rest of the believers are just imbred idiots.

"Imbred" idiots?

Ad hominem garbage aside (please, give ME a break), I was referring to the video author's apparent total dismissal of faith and spiritual philosophy in general.

The Noah's ark story may not be able to be taken by a rational person as read (it's a bit of a stretch!), but it may be symbolic, or stylised poetry (as a lot of the Old Testament is, in the original Aramaic text).

In any case, I was referring to the broader concept of humankind reaching out with their minds to the perceived creator and trying to make sense of the world around them. This is a huge part of humankind's development over the millenia, and is not as easily dismissed as the video author would like us to believe.

The creator of the video rants about measurable scientific proof as though it is an adequate tool to approach metaphysics and spirituality. What a load of rubbish. That's like using a socket wrench to wash dishes. Irrelevant.

We may well be blessed with the knowledge of hindisght, and therefore able to laugh at the ignorant animist tribesmen who thought that thunder was a manifestation of their gods' anger, but it doesn't mean that spirituality has no place in humankind's experience of life.

It seems to me that a desire to explore spirituality is something that humans are quite often born with. In the same way as a hypothetical foetus might wave its semi-formed limbs in front of its face, not knowing their function or purpose, humankind has, since the dawn of time, sought to approach the Divine and try to provide themselves with ideas and explanations for that which is NOT measurable or observable. There seems to be a kernel within that almost instinctively reaches out and starts to ask questions about the invisible, the unmeasurable, the unknowable.

To dismiss this ALL with a (not very witty) metaphor about the 3 little pigs seems to me boorish, thoughtless, and superficial, and indicative of a mind that doesn't have much interest in what is beyond its empirical senses. Wilful ignorance doesn't seem any more desirable to me than delusion. They are similar in many ways.

I don't subscribe to any particular religion, but I think that there is much to be learned from many of them.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Roark]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Roark

Spirituality is a human phenomena that everyone can experience.It has nothing to do with teachings,laws,religions or deities.From your post i gather(although correct me if im wrong please) you are saying anyone who does not believe in such things cannot have a spiritual experience.Im an atheist,i rely on cold hard facts to backup my beliefs.Yet i have had many spiritual experiences that science could not put into words other than a certain part of the brain being more active.Spirituality is a byproduct of humanity.Nothing to do with religion imo.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Spirituality is a human phenomena that everyone can experience.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I wasn't tying it to religion at all.

Faith and spirituality are both very broad terms.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Roark

Completely and utterly.

I find that looking at spirituality detached from any religion is probably the purest form of that study. Religion comes from cultural and spiritual experiences, and is dressed in the garb of the time, whereas spiritual experiences happen regardless of the religion. The only difference being what they are called and how they are interpreted.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I agree hunka and roark too,i obviously didn't quite *get* your post before,so apologies for that.And i would also agree with you hunka that spiritual experiences are more pure when not muddied by religion.Its a very strange thing to explain when you have a certain mindset compared to the devout religious types.Makes it all that more special,yet nothing to do with divine powers.Thats what makes it a unique and hard to pinpoint experience to me atleast

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Daniem

So says the members of the religion of atheism.
The most peaceful response is to live and let live. But that would remove the ego boost of feeling superior, wouldn't it?

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

Ive thought about this intensely. I noticed how some christians (hindus pick your favorite) are big headed and narrow minded, some are well mannered and graciously nice, when I reflected on my own "group'' they were the same, some were big headed and narrow minded and some were the nicest people you'd ever meet.

This made me come to the coolest if I may say, conclusion, that well simply, we are all humans, with different complexes, some just have superior complexes, and inferior complexes, big ego, small ego, humble, boastful. But to the point we are humans.

It didn't make me believe theres a god, it just enlightned me knowing that just because your a christian, that doesn't make you a good person, and just because your atheist well that doesn't make you the evil in the world, we are all just people, trying to find a meaning in life.

Hope this was relevant, I really do.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Extremely relevant and I couldn't agree more. It is largely what I have been trying to say throughout the many arguments I have had. And let me just say, I would be whole realities of confused if you had claimed your ephinany had somehow made you decide a "higher power" err whatever existed. But anyrate, I agree, we are all humans and it's high time we start realising that fact and what exactly that means.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hi Guys,

I'm Dusty Smith, the creator of this video and blogger at CultOfDusty.com.

I have been a lurker on these forums on and off for many years and someone pointed this thread out to me. So I thought I would finally sign up and introduce myself, and answer any questions anyone might have.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by DustySmith]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

To tell you the truth I wish I could have blind faith in some type of religion. It would make dealing with this messed up world much easier. I'm just wired to question everything and no religion has ever passed the muster. I actually envy those who have blind faith because overall they are much more at peace with things. I still think what they believe is hogwash.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
One could say the same about science too.

The fact that science is no longer supported by facts but by the individuals that have the most money and willingness to push their agenda on a dumbed down world makes science itself a cult and in the running as a religion.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join