It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Avoid the Flu with Daily Vitamin D and Boosting the Immune System:
When it comes to avoiding influenza, perhaps nothing is as important or effective as getting adequate daily amounts of Vitamin D. A group of scientists from UCLA published a remarkable paper in the prestigious journal, Nature which confirmed two other studies in recent years that the natural steroid hormone known as Vitamin D was, in effect, a potent antibiotic. Instead of directly killing bacteria and viruses, Vitamin D increases the body's production of a class of proteins called antimicrobial peptides. The 200 known antimicrobial peptides directly and rapidly destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus, and play a key role in keeping the lungs free of infection.
Vitamin D does not exist in appreciable quantities in normal human diets. The best form, by far, of Vitamin D is naturally occurring Vitamin D3, which is produced by sun exposure on the skin. A single, twenty-minute, full body exposure to summer sun will trigger the delivery of 20,000 units of vitamin D into the circulation of most people within 48 hours. However, thanks to all the scare stories about avoiding too much sun and today's modern lifestyle of living, working and shopping in enclosed buildings, the vast majority of people do not get nearly enough Vitamin D3.
To make sure that you have enough Vitamin D in your system, get daily sunshine whenever possible and supplement with at least 2000 mg of Vitamin D3 regularly when you cannot. The several hundred daily units the U.S. government recommend as "adequate intake" is woefully inadequate and it should also be noted that the paltry 100 mg of Vitamin D in a fortified glass of milk is not only so small as to be virtually useless, it is also not a naturally occurring form Vitamin D and thus much less beneficial or bioavailable to begin with.
The best immune booster of all in my opinion is oleander. Oleander extract was proven to have six times the immune stimulating activities of the most powerful patented immune stimulators known to man in European studies in 1986-87 - which is no doubt a large reason that it has been so effective against cancer, HIV, hepatitis-C and other conditions.
Note: The raw oleander plant is quite toxic, but that is not the case when it has been properly boiled and strained according to exact instructions. No one should attempt to make their own oleander remedy without knowing what they are doing (See Oleander Soup) and the best bet would be to purchase oleander in supplement form, such as Sutherlandia OPC.
Some of the other very best immune boosters are:
· Echinacea (Forget the flawed mainstream studies!)
· Pau d’arco
· Medicinal mushrooms
· Beta glucans
· Aloe vera
· Bovine colostrums
Be Sure to Add Natural Anti-Virals:
The next thing you should do, is to also take one or more good natural anti-viral agents, ESPECIALLY if the Avian Flu is involved.
The best natural pathogen destroyers are:
· Colloidal Silver
· Olive leaf extract
· Oil of wild mountain oregano
· Grapefruit seed extract
A top quality colloidal silver (like that made by CureZone sponsor Utopia Silver) will usually knock out the flu bug in short order. Be sure to take plenty (two to four ounces twice a day).
As noted by Colloidal Silver blogmaster Steve Barwick:
“Not only has colloidal silver been demonstrated to decimate many of the viruses associated with deadly viral flu infections, but it has also been proven to decimate most of the well-known bacterial pathogens that cause serious secondary infections during a viral infection, including the following:
Inflammatory conditions of the eyes, ears, nose, and throat
It is these secondary bacterial infections that often kill the infected individual, once the flu virus has sufficiently weakened the body.”
Use Magnesium and Other Immune System Modulators:
Like anti-virals, immune system modulators can play an important role in both warding off and beating the flu as well as in protecting the body from an excessive response from its own immune system. One of the very best natural immune system modulators is magnesium – and it has been estimated that as many as 95% of the people in the U.S. are deficient in magnesium, which plays a vital role in modulating the immune system. Magnesium is at the heart of the inflammatory process, and deficiency in magnesium contributes to an exaggerated response to immune stress. As mentioned earlier, what made the 1918-1919 human Spanish Flu pandemic so virulent was the viral triggering of cytokine-mediated lung inflammation. Magnesium literally puts the chill on inflammation and plays a crucial role in natural and adaptive immunity.
Other powerful immune modulators include:
* Blackseed Oil (Nigella Sativa)
Fight Infection with Plenty of Vitamin C:
Vitamin C helps prepare the body for an aggressive attack of influenza of any type. If vitamin C levels are low, the body will be more vulnerable to complications. Also, an attack of the flu will lower already dangerously depleted vitamin C levels. Whole food vitamin C is often better tolerated than pure ascorbic acid in addition to the fact that whole food vitamin C comes with the necessary. Take at least 1000 milligrams daily to be prepared for the flu season.
At the first sign of cold or flu symptoms, take 500 milligrams of vitamin C with bioflavonoids or rose hips four to six times a day. The bioflavonoids and rose hips strengthen the vitamin C’s infection-fighting power by 35 percent, according to experts. Start taking Vitamin C as soon as you can. There are no adverse effects from taking high dosages of vitamin C. If you experience diarrhea, reduce the dosage of Vitamin C. Use bioflavonoids along with vitamin C for their synergistic effect.
Guard Against the Spread of Flu and Airborne Viruses:
The fourth thing you should do is endeavor to stop the spread of airborne viruses during the flu season:
Use colloidal silver in humidifiers and spray misters.
Nothing destroys pathogens like colloidal silver, as recognized by the Hong Kong metro subway system, which uses a colloidal silver spray to protect ithe 2.5 million daily users against the spread of colds and flu through contacts with common surfaces.
Use essential oils to prevent the spread of viruses.
· Protect yourself from others by gargling daily with 1 drop each of the essential oils of tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) and lemon in a glass of warm water; stir well before each mouthful. Do not swallow.
· Mix a blend of essential oils to use in your diffuser or for use in steam inhalation.
· ravensare - 3 parts
· naiouli or eucalyptus - 1 part
· lemon - 1 part
· rosewood - 1 part
· lavender - 1 part
Ravensare and naiouli have antiviral properties, while the other essential oils in the blend act as antiseptics while at the same time providing a wonderful aroma.
· Diffuser Application - Add about 50 drops of the above blend to your diffuser at a time.
· Fumigate the house with oils to help prevent the spread of flu. Put 2-3 drops on a radiator to evaporate or add 10 drops of essential oils to a small plant spray filled with water. Spray the room frequently.
Another option is the famous Vinegar of the Four Thieves Formula
During the time of the Black Plague a family of perfumers robbed the dead. As perfumers they knew well the antiseptic essential oils, and they infused them in vinegar and rubbed them on their bodies; by doing so they protected themselves from certain death. The doctors of the time used the same herbs and essential oils to to protect themselves while tending so many who were contagious. They wore big cloaks over their heads that reached down well below their shoulders. Attached to the cloak over the nose and mouth was a 10 inch long canoe-like shaped beak full of antiseptic herbs and essential oils.
Here is the famous Vinegar of The Four Thieves recipe; it is sometimes called Grave Robber's Blend. Use it wherever you would normally use disinfectants.
Place a small handful each of dried lavender, rosemary, sage, rue and mint in a large jar, and cover completely with organic apple cider vinegar. Cover tightly and set for six weeks. Strain into a spray bottle. Whereas no home can be made to be sterile, spray the powerfully antiseptic Vinegar of Four Thieves recipe in areas of concern, such as on cutting boards and door knobs, always making sure to avoid your eyes.
Note: The above sprays are not technically disinfectants (disinfectants have to be registered with the EPA as pesticides), but sprays with anti-bacterial properties.
Though no one can guarantee that any measures will afford 100% protection against virtually any, the above steps should help everyone avoid and beat the Swine, Avian or any other kinds of flu.
Other Anti-Flu Measures and Information to Consider:
Hydrogen peroxide ear therapy for Flu:
For many years people, in the know, have been attacking the Influenza(s) Virus & Common Cold where they begin their breeding process and not where they have already have spread to and that's the inner-ear (middle). It IS important to begin treatment as soon as symptoms appear.
In 1938 German researchers had great success using hydrogen peroxide in dealing with colds and the flu. Their data has been ignored (maybe surpressed) for over 60 years.
Remarkable results have been reported in remedying the flu and colds with 12 to 14 hours when administering a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (h2o2) into each ear, (sometimes only one ear is infected). The h2o2 starts working within 2 to 3 minutes in killing the flu or cold; there will be some bubbling and in some cases mild stinging occurs. Wait until the bubbling & stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 min) then drain onto tissue and repeat other ear. A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in 3% solution is available at any drug store for a couple of dollars.
For an even more effective version of this natural remedy, add a few drops of extracts of Echinacea and Goldenseal to the h2o2. The anti viral, anti inflammatory, anti-bacterial action of these herbs is well documented in clinical literature.
Although this method is perfectly safe for infant/children to use, the loud bubbling and stinging frightens them, they'll need someone they trust to put the hp in their ears. (don't get h2o2 in the eyes- if you do, flush with water)
To get rid of the flu you'll need to repeat this process two or more times at one or two hours intervals until there is no more bubbling when putting hp in ear(s)
Hydrotherapy for Flu:
· Promote sweating by taking hot baths, hot foot-baths and other heat therapies. Keep the feet warm at all times during sickness and as a preventive measure. Low body temperature decreases resistance to viruses and bacteria, while heat burns up and destroys the virus.
· To warm feet, soak them for five to ten minutes in a hot mustard bath. Dissolve I tbsp. mustard powder in 4 cups of hot water.
· A hot bath followed by a cold mitten friction rub, two to four times a day, loosens congestion, improves circulation and strengthens the immune system, speeding healing from the flu.
· To do a cold mitten friction rub, proceed as follows: Dip a small towel or washcloth into cold (50° to 60°F) water. Curl one hand into a fist and wrap the cloth around it. Use your fist to rub your other arm in a vigorous circular motion, beginning with the fingers and finishing at the shoulder. Dip the cloth in the cold water again and repeat. Your skin should be pink. Dry your arm with a towel using the same vigorous circular movement.
· Repeat the process on your other
Juice Therapy for Flu:
· Apple and dark grape juices are often recommended for those fighting the flu. They have properties that work against congestion and runny nose. Dark grape juice is rich in tannins, substances that have been shown to kill viruses under laboratory conditions.
· Dilute the juices if they are too sweet. Drink them at room temperature. Pear, cranberry and, especially, pomegranate juices are also helpful for combating flu.
Naturopathy for Flu:
· Hot Bath
· Add 30-60 ml (2-4 tbsp) of Epsom Salts to hot water and take a hot bath. After the bath go straight to bed.
· Vitamins - As soon as the symptoms of flu start, take high levels of Vitamin C to boost the immune system, around 3,000-4,000 mg to start with, reducing over 3 -4 days to 500 mg until you feel completely better.
· Diet - Drink fruit juices until the fever has passed.
· Now eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
· Cold Compress -
· If very hot and sweaty, try applying a cool compress to the chest and trunk.
Aromatherapy for Flu/Colds:
· Steam Inhalation - Mix a blend of essential oils to use in your diffuser or for use in steam inhalation.
o ravensare - 3 parts
o naiouli or eucalyptus - 1 part
o lemon - 1 part
o rosewood - 1 part
o lavender - 1 part
Add six to eight drops of the above blend to a bowl of just-boiled water. Place a towel over your head and inhale. Repeat this treatment two or three times a day, if necessary.
· Several oils have considerable anti- viral activity, and help to boost the immune system. For maximum effectiveness, it is important that you use them at the earliest sign of influenza or in some cases before contracting cold/flu to boost your immune system as a preventative.
· Essential oils of basil, eucalyptus, peppermint, and pine help to ease nasal congestion. Choose one to three of these oils and use them as inhalants or in steam inhalation treatments.
· For chest congestion, a steam inhalation treatment made with basil, pine, and/ or tea tree oil can help to clear mucus and ease breathing. Rubbing a massage oil prepared with these oils over the chest may also be helpful.
· An aromatherapy bath prepared with elemi, myrrh, pine, and/ or tea tree oil can help to soothe achy feeling all over your body that accompanies flu. Use a lukewarm bath for fever, a hot bath for chills.
· For chills:
o Add 3 drops of rosemary and 3 drops of ginger or black pepper essential oils to your bath.
o Mix 5 drops of ravensare and 15 drops of rosewood in ½ ounce of carrier oil such as olive or almond. This makes an energizing massage oil blend.
· Other Essential Oils Useful for Flu:
o Tea Tree oil
o Eucalyptus oil
o Lemon oil
o Lavender oil
· If you come down with the flu, add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree to hot water and take a hot bath. This may help your immune system fight the viral infection and ease your symptoms. Use a pure, unadulterated form of tea tree oil; adulterated forms can be irritating to the skin.
· To help alleviate and disinfect dry air passages, add 10 drops of tea tree oil to a bowl of hot water or vaporizer and leave in bedroom overnight. A small handkerchief sprinkled with a few drops of the oil and left under the pillow may help as well.
Caution: Do Not Overdo this. Prolonged inhalation of essential oils can cause an enlarged liver.
· If you have a congested nose or chest, add a few drops of essential oils of eucalyptus globulus (E. globulus) or peppermint (Mentha piperita) to a steam vaporizer.
· Caution: If you are asthmatic, be cautious the first time you try this; if you have not been exposed to essential oils before, inhaling the vapor may actually precipitate an attack.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Flu:
Ayurvedic practitioners recommend the following strategies to combat flu:
· At the first sign of the flu, switch to a bland diet. Eat soft-cooked rice (rice that has a very soft, moist texture created by a longer cooking time with more water) with a pinch of cumin, ginger powder and turmeric for seasoning. In India, broken rice is used for this purpose with generous amount of water so that we will get a soup in the end. The ginger and cumin heat up your body, so you can sweat out toxins. Turmeric has antibiotic and antiseptic qualities. You can also add few cloves of garlic cut into small pieces to the mixture as garlic is very good for flu.
· To ease the congestion that can accompany the flu:
o ½ teaspoon sitopaladi powder
o ½ teaspoon sudarshan
o ½ teaspoon of honey
Mix the ingredients well. Take a teaspoonful of this mixture every few hours. Your symptoms will disappear quickly.
· For Severe Flu Symptoms - Take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses. A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ingredient, which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.
· Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases.
Herbal Remedies for the Flu:
Herbal remedies cannot cure a cold or flu. But they can bring relief of symptoms, stimulate the immune system and speed recovery. We will describe several herbal remedies useful for colds and flu. Later we will describe important herbs for treating flu.
· Corn starch, water and lemon. Mix together in a cup. One cup should be enough.
· Water, lemons, cinnamon sticks and honey. Put a gallon of water in a large pot on the stove. Add four lemons cut in quarters and two sticks of cinnamon. Bring water to a full boil and then let steep for five or more minutes. Drink one cup several times a day if you are able to stay home and rest and one or two cups at night, otherwise just drink at night. Best taken at the beginning of flu symptoms. This remedy should help you sweat out the flu, help ease any sore throat you may have and also keep you hydrated.
· Tea, lemon, orange juice and brandy. Works like a charm. Just make a cup of tea, squeeze half a lemon and half an orange into the tea and put two teaspoons of brandy and you should feel much better soon.
· One garlic clove and a sharp knife. Cut raw garlic as thin as possible and put the garlic slices on your tongue. Do not chew, just place on the tongue and then swallow. Best when taken at the first signs of flu symptoms
· Eucalyptus, burnt sugar, lemon and water. Boil the water and add eucalyptus, burnt sugar, lemon juice and/or lemon rind, and continue to boil for five minutes. Drink the tea hot, preferably just before going to bed.
· Colloidal silver. A half teaspoon of colloidal silver for children and a teaspoon for adults can be swallowed to ease or eliminate flu symptoms. If you take colloidal silver regularly, you may never get the flu.
· At the first sign of a flu, put a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide into each ear, one ear at a time. Keep the solution in for 10 minutes or until the bubbling stops. Your temperature should start dropping within minutes, and your flu should be gone within 12 to 14 hours.
· Goldenseal tea. Use goldenseal tea bags (not pills or capsules) to make tea. Drink a cup before bed (sweeten with honey or Stevia if desired).
· Herbal Fever Remedy
o 1 ounce dried Elder Flowers
o 1 ounce dried Peppermint Leaves
o ½ pint distilled water
Mix the herbs. Place in a quart saucepan. Pour 1/2 pints of distilled boiling water over it. Cover and allow to steep in a hot place for 10 to 15 minutes (do not boil). When ready, strain into another saucepan. Sweeten with honey if desired. This remedy drops high temperature associated with flu quite effectively. In some cases, the temperature has been reduced from 104 to 99 degrees within two hours!! According to Dr. Dr. Edward E. Shook, well known herbalist, "there is no remedy for colds and fevers of any description equal to this simple life-saving formula."
· Psyllium - Boneset Flu Remedy: This remedy is useful for flu as well as for backaches and headaches.
· Peppermint-Rosemary-Elder Flu Remedy: This remedy is good for colds with flu Symptoms.
· Echinacea and goldenseal stimulate the immune sys tem. Goldenseal also helps to soothe mucous membranes. Add 10-15 drops of a combination of echinacea and goldenseal to herbal teas at the first sign of a sniffle to boost the immune system. Take one dose of an echinacea and goldenseal combination remedy supplying 250 to 500 milligrams of echinacea and 150 to 300 milligrams of goldenseal three times daily for five days.
· An infusion of boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) may relieve aches and fever and clear congestion: Simmer 1 cup boiling water with 2 tsp of the herb for 10 to 15 minutes; drink a cupful every hour, as hot as you can stand it.
· A comforting herbal tea may be made from an infusion of equal measures of elderflowers, peppermint and hyssop. Caution: Take only small doses of hyssop (no more than 1-2g three times daily).
· To combat chills, try taking 30 drops of yarrow (Achillea millefolium) or elder (Sambucus nigra) flower tincture every four hours until your chills are gone.
· Use a warming tea made of Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Cayenne (Capsicum minimum) and ground Ginger (Zingiber officinalis).
· To help yourself rest and relax, take a cup of chamomile tea twice a day.
· Use inhalations of chamomile, eucalyptus or thyme. These help loosen mucus and heal the throat, nasal passages and bronchial tubes.
· Horsetail inhalations reduce swelling of mucous membranes.
· At the first sign of the flu, begin taking the Chinese botanical formula Yin Qiao. (This remedy usually is not helpful after the third day of symptoms.) Take two or three tablets three times a day, up to twelve