It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff rules deputy's "hard shove" in chase wasn't criminal w/Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Here is the video (no audio since it was just a mall feed).. www.youtube.com...

The article.. seattletimes.nwsource.com...

First off they had the WRONG person, ok, that happens... But this was such a violent encounter that this individual is now in critical condition in a coma.

I truly understand that the police have a job to do... but the line has been way crossed on what should be acceptable behavior over the years.

The police departments that let this go unpunished are the problem. You start firing "large numbers" of officers for this overkill, surely they will start to get the message.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I think that should be up to a jury to decide if that was criminal. Especially since it was the wrong guy. That was a plain assault with great bodily injury, possibly even death. At this point we don't know if he will come out of a coma or die from complications. The sheriff might have ruled, but it isn't over just because he thinks he is judge and jury as well as sheriff.

[edit on 24/5/09 by spirit_horse]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Holy crap!

That poor bastard was shoved into the wall and he hit it head first. The man was KO'd on impact and was motionless. You could tell from the video that the man was seriously hurt. And to make matters worse they had the wrong guy. Seriously the guy looked dead. Im not suprised he's in a coma right now fighting for his life. We're seeing incidents of this type of behavior by police to often nowadays for my liking. Seems like every week there's some controversy over police officers doing something like this.

Poor bastard. I hope he makes a full recovery and sues that police dept. for every penny they have and then some. If the victim happens to die the cop responsible should be charged for murder.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ocelot

I am sure the officer did not particularly mean to slam him against the wall... but still, there should be some responsibility for ones' actions.

I mean, if I involuntarily put someone in a coma by tackling them into a wall, I will be charged with a crime. How is this any different?

I just think some officers see their chance to take out some aggression on someone "legally", and they give it all they have.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This has been big in the Seattle media and rightly so. I'm still wondering why did the guy run to begin with? The cop should get disciplined to the fullest extent allowed, including criminal.

In hindsight the guy probably should've stayed put and just taken the ritualistic beating and tazing. Being outside at night while Black can be pretty dangerous, much like driving while Black.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't care what the Sheriff said...That department is going to have a hard time defending this use of force. If it was the officers intent to apprehend the individual, shoving them into a wall is not a technique they "teach" in the academy. Therefore, he can't fall back on "this was a trained technique". So then we look at the reasonableness of the level of force. The individual looked to be slowing down and complying. Even if he was not complying, at that point you have the option of 1. going hands on and grabbing the suspect to aprehend him 2. pulling out your taser, pepper spray or baton and using said devices to gain compliance...However, slamming a person into the wall is not in that list. If anything, this is why we (cops) are not taught to "slam people into walls"...it can cause severe injuries. Doesn't matter that the Sheriff OK'd the use of force. All that has done is put the County on the hook for damages and not the officer.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Oh im sure he just wanted to tickle the dude, oh please, Police Enforcement officers are letting thier power go to thier heads. Another brutal attack from another officer. When will someone stand up and say enough is enough.

Lets hope this dude does not die. Oh but I am sure you will see this is justification if he does.

new topics

top topics

join