It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Ais-Extinct Volcano Wakes Up! Gas Will Go Up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
This volcano has been listed as extinct, but recent activity has Saudi's running for cover believing it is about to blow again! It is in an oil rich area so damage to the area will mean gas supply shortages, and you all know what that means!
It also seems that the Saudi government is at this time downplaying whether or not it is going to blow, yet they enacted evacuations already.

Check out the latest on this volcano:

www.arabnews.com...

in.reuters.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I cannot locate the first article I read on this topic tonight, but here is one that is talking about gasses and hot air rising from the ground, but I have also seen reports that the government is denying that any gases have been rising, yet again, they did evacuations. The ground has risen as well.

volcanism.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Wow, if this erupts violently enough it could set an underground oil deposit ablaze that will burn for a hundred years. Holy crap balls. This reminds me of that South American volcano that just rose out of nowhere in a matter of days.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

There is a lot of new and strange volcanic and earthquake activity going on, I believe that in the next week we will hear of or see something major happen, and the Saudi situation is certainly much more than the interest of a volcano blowing, it will be devasting to everyone, global oil supplies will suffer, and long term problems, like what you mention, are very possible.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I just wanted to add a couple of facts regarding an extinct volcano:

An extinct volcano has not had an eruption for at least 10,000 years and is not expected to erupt again in a comparable time scale of the future.

A dormant volcano is an active volcano that is not erupting, but supposed to erupt again.

From the little information I have found on the history of that particular volcano, it's last eruption was in 1256

This link has much information on volcanoes in the area, good pictures and lots of history:

www.saudiaramcoworld.com...

Madinah - The Saudi Geological Survey (SGS), explained yesterday that the SGS air inspection conducted recently at "Al Harrat AS-Shaqqah"... (Lava field) and the surrounding areas, revealed the existence of what it described as ground groves at the seismic activity area.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well, all things aside, I think it's rather neat.

However if this thing is acting up, we could probably expect damn near anything to start happening all among the Red Sea rift up into Turkey. It could be a few trembles. it could be a major earthquake. The east coast of Africa could fall off. All possible.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

It is rather neat, all of this type of geology is IMO, in particular though the area in Saudi that could be affected is an important one globally. Saudi officials have stated both that it is and is not in an area that houses oil fields or production.

new topics

top topics

join