It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberty University bans Democrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Liberty University bans Democrats

videocafe.crooksandliars.com

Liberty University, the university founded by the late Christian evangelist Rev. Jerry Falwell, has revoked its recognition of the campus Democratic Party club, saying “we are unable to lend support to a club whose parent organization stands against the moral principles held by” the university, The News & Advance, of Lynchburg, Va., reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newsadvance.c om

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So, the way that Liberty University is looking at it.... If you are a democrat, you can not possibly be sharing the best interests of the school... and you can't possibly be a good "christian" upholding the school's ideals.

Wow. Talk about freedom of choice right there.

Either do what WE think is right.. or you are not affiliated with us in any way shape or form.

You go Liberty.. /sarcasm off.

videocafe.crooksandliars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I recently just transfer from a christian college so I know for a fact that Liberty can that. Since it's not a public college they can do what they want to do.

Liberty University is not breaking any laws for not recognizing the Democratic Party club. Trust me, they are not the first private christian school to not recognize a club or organization because of moral values.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Never mentioned they were breaking any kind of law...

It's the principle behind the actions that matter. I can understand if this was some kind of "out there" group or club, but its a democratic club... and yet they let the republican club remain.

I just can't see telling your students who pay for their education "hey, sorry, you chose the wrong side".

Oh well, I think the backlash will be bigger than they expect to be honest.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I know from experience that there are things that go on at private colleges that the public will never know about unless it's major.

This situation is nothing compare to what goes on at other private schools. So what if Liberty has one less club. There is probably more to the situation that outsiders don't know about.

If there is more to this situation we probably want hear about it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Liberty University is a joke.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I live less than an hour away. The place is known more for its extreme positions than anything else. The only people I've known to attend there were already devoutly Christian, and they turned out even more zealous afterward. If that's the direction parents want to take, though, they can't do much better.

I think the whole place is just a highway eye sore, it only perpetuates the fundamentalist BS around this area and frankly I'm glad I don't have to hear about Falwell anymore except to remember that he died. That's not as harsh as it sounds remembering how hateful of a person Falwell was himself.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

[edit on Sat, 23 May 2009 23:19:35 -0500 by MemoryShock]

top topics

join