It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "U2U" button that does not disappear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think that I have found the (or one of the) reason(s) for the U2U button not to disappear from the menu bar.

After receiving one U2U that made my U2U button to remain "on" I saved the U2U to make the button disappear (and it did), but when I looked at the U2U in the "saved" area I noticed that my name had been written as "armap" instead of "ArMaP", so I tried it and the U2U button was permanently on once more.

So, apparently, the user name must be written with the right capitalisation, if it's not then the U2U button code does not recognise the message as read.

I hope this is beginning of the end of this annoying bug.

PS: sorry if I should have not made this thread, but at the time it looked as the better choice.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's a known issue and it come up every now and again. It's nothing major, and if you know how to get rid of it, it shouldn't hinder your stride.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If it's a known issue why not fix it?

As a programmer I think that a known bug that makes a function (the warning about an unread message) useless should be corrected, even in a site where membership is not paid.

Why not correct these things instead of creating new ways of showing who posts more or who gets more flags and other things that were not really needed?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Would you like some cheese with that?

I simply don't understand how people can find fault with the stupidest things. It would appear that some people are here for the sole purpose of complaining about the functionality of the board and not to use the board for which it was intended...

But that's just what I'm seeing from where I'm sitting.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gaspode

Well he does have a point, and it is a rather annoying glitch. I had that problem too and just deleted everything in the inbox to turn it off after a couple of weeks.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I tested it out. Your solution works. I´ll alert some tech-staff on this.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Never mind the u2u button that does not disappear! WHERE is the U2U button?

I have logged in etc, but my u2u button is missing in action..... or is there some conspiracy going on that I don't know of?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaspode

Yes, please.

I simply don't understand how people can find fault with the stupidest things.

It's not a stupid thing, it's a function that becomes useless because of that fault, I would never let some of my code run like that, even for free, I like to correct all the errors I know, even the errors that do not affect the functioning of the program (or site), and I think that is a good practice.

It would appear that some people are here for the sole purpose of complaining about the functionality of the board and not to use the board for which it was intended...

It looks like you haven't seen my posts in these almost five years, my only complaints are about things like this (things that do not work as they should) and the new Media portal, I could even try to fix the code, if I had access to it.

Other, more serious, problems I do not post publicly, and I have seen some.

But that's just what I'm seeing from where I'm sitting.

Maybe you need to move your chair a little.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychdoc

On the button bar, choose the "member tools" drop-down menu, then choose "U2U Private Messages".

You can bookmark that page, but you have to be logged on to ATS to use it, obviously.

PS: I don't know if you have enough posts to send U2Us, there is minimum post count needed, to avoid people joining ATS just to flood the other member's in-box.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I thought it was because the inbox had reached a certain amount of messages... Last time mine ws stuck on I simply cleared out the whole box and that seemed to sort it.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Apologies for my little outburst. I was totally out of line. I sent you a proper apology via u2u.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaspode

Apologies publicly accepted, you thought you were defending ATS, it was for a good reason.

new topics

top topics

join