It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Air Force Academy graduate dies in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Female Air Force Academy graduate dies in Afghanistan

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- The U.S. Air Force Academy is mourning its first female graduate to be killed by enemy forces in Afghanistan or Iraq.

First Lt. Roslyn L. Schulte, 25, died Wednesday near Kabul, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered in a roadside bomb attack.

She was an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations officer assigned to the 613th Air and Space Operations Center, the Air Force said Friday in a news release.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I can still remember the night 30 plus some odd years ago when Bill Murray and Jane Curtain were doing their Point/Counter Point segment on their weekly News Broadcast when Bill Murray said Jane “I think we should make the U.S. Armed Services all female, that way if we should ever loose another war we can just say big deal so you beat a bunch of girls!”

Here we are a few decades later dealing with the tragedy of women dying in combat.

Yet, equality, women’s liberation, and the modern world aside casualties in both Afghanistan continue to mount while Bush and Iraq become the forgotten President and War, and the forgotten War in Afghanistan is now the War of Choice for the new President sometimes I think for the sole purpose that people will forget we are still in Iraq and Americans are fighting and dying there too.

There has never been a glorious or victorious way out of Afghanistan from Alexander to the British Empire to the Soviet Union and now America, why on earth is a bright, energetic young woman clearly full of such potential being blown to bits so far from the family, friends and loved ones, who have to be now mourning her death in ways that we can only imagine?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It doesn't hurt me any more or any less because she was a female. She was a soldier and a patriot and that is why I am proud of her.

RIP Schulte

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The Feb. 9, 1980, episode of "Saturday Night Live" featured a commentary by Bill Murray on the "Weekend Update" fake-news segment:

President Carter has proposed the drafting of women, and everybody's all worked up about it. Personally, I don't see what they're complaining about. Women in the armed forces could be the best thing that ever happened to this country.

Let's say we have a war with Russia and the women fight. If we win, that's OK. And if we lose, we can say to the Russians: "Wow, you beat a bunch of girls. You must be really proud of yourselves. You Russians are real tough guys, yeah." Can you imagine how embarrassed the Russians would be?

The same holds true for weapons. Why give weapons to our soldiers? If we win without 'em, fine. And if lose, we can say, "Oh, so you beat us. We didn't even have any weapons. Whaddya want? Big deal!"

If you ask me, the best defense our country could have would be an army of poorly equipped, untrained, unarmed women. That way, either we would win the war or we'd make the Russians look like incredible jerks. And isn't that what it's all about anyway?

That's my opinion. I'm Bill Murray, and my girlfriend's going.

I think for the most part Bill's ideas here were pretty sound ones.

I sure dislike seeing stories about our soldiers dying in a war where some good investigative law enforcement would have accomplished more and cost a whole lot less in human and economic costs.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
It doesn't hurt me any more or any less because she was a female. She was a soldier and a patriot and that is why I am proud of her.

RIP Schulte

A patriot?

Fighting a war to keep America safe huh? No one her age deserves to die or be blown up by a roadside bomb. But we as Americans need to stop this incessant hypocrisy. We are all against the war and many of us don't believe our foreign policy protects and supports the American people nor American ideals yet we still glorfiy and "patriotize" the men and women who are over there fighting. If it wasn't for young men and women in this country signing up to fight a bull# war America wouldn't be fighting any wars. They wouldn't have the man power. We forget how powerful individuals are in this country. The only way our government is going to wake the "f" up and realize we are sick of their policies is if people i.e. military, civilian, government workers put their foot down, stand up and say enough is enough. No soldier nowadays keeps me safe nor protects me. We have a huge drug problem, a huge illegal immigration problem, a huge gang violence problem, a huge teen violence problem. All these add up to a much bigger threat to the average American than some sandal wearing, AK-47 toting Muslim hell bent on jihad. There hasn't been one lone gunman or crazy suicide bomber in the USA. The war on terror is a joke. There are no patriots anymore. Just the informed, the uninformed, and those who simply do a job without seeing the big picture.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

RIP Schulte

A patriot?

Fighting a war to keep America safe huh? No one her age deserves to die or be blown up by a roadside bomb. But we as Americans need to stop this incessant hypocrisy. We are all against the war and many of us don't believe our foreign policy protects and supports the American people nor American ideals yet we still glorfiy and "patriotize" the men and women who are over there fighting. If it wasn't for young men and women in this country signing up to fight a bull# war America wouldn't be fighting any wars. They wouldn't have the man power. We forget how powerful individuals are in this country. The only way our government is going to wake the "f" up and realize we are sick of their policies is if people i.e. military, civilian, government workers put their foot down, stand up and say enough is enough. No soldier nowadays keeps me safe nor protects me. We have a huge drug problem, a huge illegal immigration problem, a huge gang violence problem, a huge teen violence problem. All these add up to a much bigger threat to the average American than some sandal wearing, AK-47 toting Muslim hell bent on jihad. There hasn't been one lone gunman or crazy suicide bomber in the USA. The war on terror is a joke. There are no patriots anymore. Just the informed, the uninformed, and those who simply do a job without seeing the big picture.

Great rant by the way and I sure emphathize with everything you just said.

I think 4 things are contributing to this mess.

1st and foremost dishonest politicians who refuse to honeslty investigate the events of 9-11 in a proper court of law through proper law enforcement chanells.

2nd and equally important a corrupt News Media that convinces Americans things like trials and the constitution aren't needed because they can present it all to you in your living room or computer screen just the way the politicians would like you to view it.

3rd though and a very sinister and not so telling part of this equation or video games like Heilo were teams of players communicate with one another over headphones and microphones to stage mock semi-realistic modern combat battles. Kids and young adults spend hours a day playing these games that are nothing but glorifying violence, killing, weapons, and the military life. Is it any wonder some of them put down their video games for the real thing after a while?

4 and also very important is an economy that first went bad slowly but surely as inner city manufacturing jobs began drying up in the seventies at a steady clip and pace until today hardly any skilled labor jobs paying a living wage exists for young people or hardly any jobs at all. The Military seems a much better option when it's your only real chance at what seems an honest and sure paycheck and place to live.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
By the way for you ATS members who might not live in the United States this weekend is our Oifficial Memorial Day Holiday where we mark the passing of our brave men and now women who have died in the Armed Services.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

You question her being a patriot? So are you saying that she didn't love her country? I have a few four letter words for you.

I never said anything about what I feel about the war itself so don't use me as a stepping stone to your soapbox.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

reply to post by Zosynspiracy

You question her being a patriot? So are you saying that she didn't love her country? I have a few four letter words for you.

I never said anything about what I feel about the war itself so don't use me as a stepping stone to your soapbox.

No offence meant friend, but the patriots who were are forefathers didn't believe in the value of fighting foreign wars of agression or empire, or in taking sides in conflicts between other nations. In other words, patriots would not have invited a terrorist problem, they would have seen the best defense of our nation was being consistently nuetral, staying out of foreign entanglements, and not attempting to police the world, or build other nations.

The fought for our own right to self determination, not to take other people and other's nations right to self determination away from them.

Did this young woman love her country? I am sure she did.

Did she understand the real principals the country was founded on? I doubt she did. The above is why I doubt she did.

Simply being yound and idealistic and loving one's own country doesn't make you a patriot. Fighting to preserve and promote your nation's people, tradition and values against those who see to change and take them away makes you a patriot. You do that here in the U.S.A., not in Afghanistan.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
No offence meant friend, but the patriots who were are forefathers didn't believe in the value of fighting foreign wars of agression or empire, or in taking sides in conflicts between other nations. In other words, patriots would not have invited a terrorist problem, they would have seen the best defense of our nation was being consistently nuetral, staying out of foreign entanglements, and not attempting to police the world, or build other nations..

Yeah, because being neutral is such a great idea. Really worked well in the 1930s; you know, just before the Second World War started. Something you probably feel that we should have stayed out of, since it was a "foreign entanglement".

Did this young woman love her country? I am sure she did.

Did she understand the real principals the country was founded on? I doubt she did. The above is why I doubt she did.

Oh, really? Did you know this LT? Are you certain that she didn't know what this country was founded on? Seeing that she's an Academy grad, I'm willing to bet she had a pretty good head on her shoulders; I'm willing to bet she knew exactly what this country was founded about a lot better than you ever will.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by jerico65]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

4 and also very important is an economy that first went bad slowly but surely as inner city manufacturing jobs began drying up in the seventies at a steady clip and pace until today hardly any skilled labor jobs paying a living wage exists for young people or hardly any jobs at all. The Military seems a much better option when it's your only real chance at what seems an honest and sure paycheck and place to live.

Well, that answered a question I was asking myself: You aren't in the military. Sure, a lot of guys enlist for a paycheck; a lot more enlist for other reasons. Reasons most people laugh at, or think they are old fashioned.

Regardless of what John Kerry said, we all aren't going to Iraq because we are stupid.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

We are all against the war.......

Really? Got a mouse in your pocket? "We are all"? How about speaking for yourself.

No soldier nowadays keeps me safe nor protects me.

That's your opinion, and myself and others that joined the military protect your right to say that. In fact, how about heading down to the local Armed Forces recruiter and tell them that. Let me know how that works out for you; I'll wait here.

There are no patriots anymore.

The troops that are killed in action are patriots. People that are safe and cozy at home that talk smack about them, claiming that they aren't patriots, are worthy to towel the sweat off their jockstraps.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Yeah, because being neutral is such a great idea. Really worked well in the 1930s; you know, just before the Second World War started. Something you probably feel that we should have stayed out of, since it was a "foreign entanglement".

Well let’s see, had we stayed out of World War I, it’s really doubtful there would have been a World War II.

Do us both a favor if you haven’t read News Paper Archives from 1915 through 1921 lets try to keep what you imagine might have happened in that one out of it for now.

Now considering U.S. Congressional Records will show that the principal Nazi backers and financers were guys like Rockefeller, Harriman, DuPont, Bush, Morgan, Ford, and Mellon all of whom faced some pretty unpleasant Trading with the Enemy Hearings in late 1942 I think you are the one who is asleep at the wheel when it comes to the 1930’s.

Hey don’t feel bad the warrior class isn’t exactly known for their scholarly ways.

War is just another form of politics, and politics my friend is all about money.

One day when that chip falls off your shoulder you might realize in life we are all down range, because life is nothing but a dog eat dog affair. Some dogs are smarter than others, and the big dogs choose their battles wisely.

If you really want to know History go to the source in History that couldn’t be rewritten later by a victor.

Otherwise you will always be firing blanks against anyone who wasn’t already in the choir.

Oh, really? Did you know this LT? Are you certain that she didn't know what this country was founded on? Seeing that she's an Academy grad, I'm willing to bet she had a pretty good head on her shoulders; I'm willing to bet she knew exactly what this country was founded about a lot better than you ever will

I am willing to bet if she was an Academy Grad that required a Congressional or Senatorial reference and placement that she came from a family who saw military service as a stepping stone to a broader public life and one that was likely politically connected.

After all what little girl or boy doesn’t want Daddy’s approval?

My friend, as I said, read some real history, attacking the Afghani’s doesn’t work any better than attacking the citizens here who have critical minds, thoughts, and intelligent questions who don’t believe in a Military need to know doctrine.

What is it you are fighting for, to justify war? Or to safeguard American ideals? If you have a problem with free speech, and people who see real knowledge as the most formidable weapon, and the pen as being mightier than the Sword I bet the Taliban could use a guy like you!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

The troops that are killed in action are patriots. People that are safe and cozy at home that talk smack about them, claiming that they aren't patriots, are worthy to towel the sweat off their jockstraps.

The macho locker room attempts at humiliation and intimidation are…

Macho locker room attempts at humiliation and intimidation…

That…typically just humiliate the person utilizing them.

There is a real world that is far more cut throat and deadlier than any of the battle fields you imagine are the sole decider of manly, heroic virtue, and fearless bravery.

Do you know what the title under my name means?

I know what yours does.

A smart warrior should know their enemies…conversely they should be able to recognize their friends too.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The only way the war will stop is if we finally stop honoring these trained killers. Instead of going to military parades and mouthing inane crap about our brave men and women keeping us safe, why don't we expose them for what they are?

They are brainwashed killers doing the bidding of psychpathic madmen who have no empathy for humanity. Stop being a fool and supporting this evil with your life and money.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Well, that answered a question I was asking myself: You aren't in the military. Sure, a lot of guys enlist for a paycheck; a lot more enlist for other reasons. Reasons most people laugh at, or think they are old fashioned.

Regardless of what John Kerry said, we all aren't going to Iraq because we are stupid.

Friend I employ guys with Purple Hearts, Silver and Bronze Stars, Paratrooper and Ranger Badges, from the 82nd and 101st Air Borne Units.

I have studied every Military Campaign recorded going back to Ur.

This is not about the value of those people who choose a military career it's about the wisdom of engaging them in rolls they aren't ideally suited or trained to function in, in scenarios where other approaches would have greater effect, cost fewer lives and dollars and create less foreign and domestic backlash.

Generals and Admirals don't delploy forces into war, politicians do.

Take a chill pill already, realize that the Military was not meant to be an occupying police force, realize that they aren't meant to be the thought police, you know darn well the officer core is ill equiped and ill trained to facilitate the infrastructure improvements to Afghanistan to effectively win the people's hearts and minds, and we haven't won the people's hearts and minds.

I don't expect a plumber to fix my electrical problem. I wouldn't get mad at him if I insisted he try anyway and couldn't.

Switch to Sanka or pop in another movie already!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I am willing to bet if she was an Academy Grad that required a Congressional or Senatorial reference and placement that she came from a family who saw military service as a stepping stone to a broader public life and one that was likely politically connected.

After all what little girl or boy doesn’t want Daddy’s approval?

Another assumption. Making quite a few of them, aren't you. I'll just give you a pass on the little childish cracks earlier in your post; I'm not losing any sleep over them.

Not everyone that joins the service or goes to the Academy are doing it to further some political agenda or looking for "daddy's approval". I'll pass on trying to explain it to you; you just wouldn't understand, even if I spelled it out in your favorite crayon color.

What is it you are fighting for, to justify war? Or to safeguard American ideals? If you have a problem with free speech, and people who see real knowledge as the most formidable weapon, and the pen as being mightier than the Sword I bet the Taliban could use a guy like you!

I have no problem with free speech. Anyone has the right to say what they want, just keep in mind who's fighting for you to keep that right of free speech.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The macho locker room attempts at humiliation and intimidation are…

Macho locker room attempts at humiliation and intimidation…

That…typically just humiliate the person utilizing them.

Oh well, guess you're not as hard as you wish you were.

There is a real world that is far more cut throat and deadlier than any of the battle fields you imagine are the sole decider of manly, heroic virtue, and fearless bravery.

Trust me, unless you've actually been in combat, you don't have the first clue.

Do you know what the title under my name means?

Yes, I do. "Supreme Moral Authority". Do you have to butter your head to get thru the door?

I know what yours does.

Well, I'm not quite as vague as others here.

I'm just here to lend hope and mock people.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by jerico65]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Friend I employ guys with Purple Hearts, Silver and Bronze Stars, Paratrooper and Ranger Badges, from the 82nd and 101st Air Borne Units.

And this means what? Sorry, the things that your employees have done do not rub off on you. And "airborne" is all one word.

I have studied every Military Campaign recorded going back to Ur.

Again, having studied military campaigns means dick. Have you ever humped a ruck for miles? Slept in a hole in the ground in the pouring rain? Spent hours spotting in an aircraft hoping you don't see a SAM come spinning up to you and considering it a good mission when you just had them shoot 37MM at you?

Homeslice, reading about them and actually doing them are two different beasts.

This is not about the value of those people who choose a military career it's about the wisdom of engaging them in rolls they aren't ideally suited or trained to function in, in scenarios where other approaches would have greater effect, cost fewer lives and dollars and create less foreign and domestic backlash.

I don't think that LT would have been in that vehicle if she weren't trained for that mission; it wasn't like she just hitched a ride.

Generals and Admirals don't delploy forces into war, politicians do..

Unfortunately, that's true.

Take a chill pill already, realize that the Military was not meant to be an occupying police force, realize that they aren't meant to be the thought police, you know darn well the officer core is ill equiped and ill trained to facilitate the infrastructure improvements to Afghanistan to effectively win the people's hearts and minds, and we haven't won the people's hearts and minds..

Hmmm, I didn't realize that I said that the military was suppose to be a "occupying police force". I think you are in dire need of that "chill pill".

And it all depends on what branch of officer corps (not core) you're talking about. Infantry? Nope, not their job. Civil Affairs? Psyops? Yep, that's sort of up their alley.

Switch to Sanka or pop in another movie already!

Easy, Gus. You seem to be getting all worked up over this. Need a friend?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Another assumption. Making quite a few of them, aren't you. I'll just give you a pass on the little childish cracks earlier in your post; I'm not losing any sleep over them.

Not everyone that joins the service or goes to the Academy are doing it to further some political agenda or looking for "daddy's approval". I'll pass on trying to explain it to you; you just wouldn't understand, even if I spelled it out in your favorite crayon color.

In other words you don't know.

Oh by the way when you stop asking for a booster seat at Denny's they stop giving you the crayons.

I have no problem with free speech. Anyone has the right to say what they want, just keep in mind who's fighting for you to keep that right of free speech.

I never forget, I fight for my inalienable right for free speech. It's only an inalienable right when you fight for it yourself for yourself.

Wow! Can you say clueless.

Oh well, guess you're not as hard as you wish you were.

I can gaurantee you I am not as hard as you wish I was. Would you prefer I have you for a afternoon or evening snack Grettle?

Trust me, unless you've actually been in combat, you don't have the first clue.

Brother I was in Beirut in 81 and in Sarajevo in 91 for vacation! If Santa brought you the Parker Brothers Game for Christmas you still wouldn't have a clue!

Yes, I do. "Supreme Moral Authority". Do you have to butter your head to get thru the door?

Actually it means First Citizen of Rome! You would be surprised the doors that open for me.

Well, I'm not quite as vague as others here.

I'm just here to lend hope and mock people

Yes you are a real credit to our Military no wonder recruitment is down.

And this means what? Sorry, the things that your employees have done do not rub off on you. And "airborne" is all one word.

Actually they would enjoy telling you about the things I have done that have rubbed off on them!

Again, having studied military campaigns means dick. Have you ever humped a ruck for miles? Slept in a hole in the ground in the pouring rain? Spent hours spotting in an aircraft hoping you don't see a SAM come spinning up to you and considering it a good mission when you just had them shoot 37MM at you?

Sounds like little league kid's stuff to me. My vacations make that look like a trip to a petting zoo.

Homeslice, reading about them and actually doing them are two different beasts.

Hey don't worry one day when you get old enough you might be able to do real fun stuff too, in the meantime stick to the petting zoo.

I don't think that LT would have been in that vehicle if she weren't trained for that mission; it wasn't like she just hitched a ride.

Yeah Mr. I don't think, what was she trained to do, how to get blown up in three easy steps?

Send a girl to do a man's job, guess you boys need the help though huh.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that I said that the military was suppose to be a "occupying police force". I think you are in dire need of that "chill pill".

Hey I guess I missed that Victory Day in Afghanistan and Iraq Celebration, when did we win these wars again?

Hey if I can get Santa to start you out with Candy Land this Christmas you think you might be ready for a Clue in a few years?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join