It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India ready to extend hand of friendship to Pak: Indian FM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

India ready to extend hand of friendship to Pak: Indian FM

www.thenews.com.pk

EW DELHI: India's new government said Saturday it was ready to extend "the hand of friendship" to Pakistan as long as Islamabad moves to dismantle militant groups.

S.M. Krishna, named foreign affairs minister earlier Saturday, said the government's policy was to boost ties with neighbours, including Pakistan.

"We would like to live in peace with our neighbour... that has been our desire and we are pursuing that," Krishna, 77, told his first news conference in the job.

"We stand ready to extend our hand of friendship and partnership to Pakistan if they take determined and credib
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It will be very interesting how relations between Pakistan and its closest rival , India , develop during the armed conflict taking place in Pakistan at this time .

Could this all be a prelude to a coming conflict in Kashmir against
" terrorist " ?

I am sure that we have not herd the last of this troubled area , just the opposite , its only the beginning .

www.thenews.com.pk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

This is great on the part of India. If nothing else it will help simmer some of the tension between those two nations.

Ever since the Mumbai incident we've been watching eagerly to see who would throw the first stone, luckly no one has done so yet.

I welcome any move forward in regards to diplomacy in the middle east.

~Keeper

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It would be great if India and Pakistan came to terms with each other acting co-operatively instead of antagonistically. That goes for the whole sub-continent.

With impending hard times economically, the incessant tribal and religious warfare that results in heightened military and security costs and only result in massive bloodshed and ill will, needs to stop.

India is in an uncomfortable position. While mostly Hindu it has one of the largest Muslim populations in the world. It is also an increasing successful economic powerhouse. Germany tried to absorb it's less successful Communist East Germany. It turned out to be as much of a drain as a benefit. India might decide an integration with Pakistan might prove to be the same.

But Pakistan need India's commercial acumen, technology and knowledge to move itself towards a progressive society. Hopefully good judgement will overcome historical antipathy.

Maybe this time something positive will be the result.

Mike

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
this means nothing

the people have too much hatred for each other

and people who know me here know I often take the side of the middle east. I'm hindu not Muslim, but I do defend them often because of foreign policy.

But Pakistan DOES have many extremists.

I'm sorry but they can't be trusted.

Even muslims in India aren't too fond of Pakistanis, though mostly because of the partition yes.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
this means nothing

the people have too much hatred for each other

and people who know me here know I often take the side of the middle east. I'm hindu not Muslim, but I do defend them often because of foreign policy.

But Pakistan DOES have many extremists.

Even muslims in India aren't too fond of Pakistanis, though mostly because of the partition yes.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Pakistan DOES have many extremists.

The sentiments, likes and dislikes of people in general can only change over time.

Leaders of countries are there to ensure the well-being and prosperity of their constituents. Foreign relations are not governed like popularity contests. At least not in more civilized societies.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join