It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help. Ayudame por favor.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I need to learn basic Spanish fast.

Well enough to communicate in a work setting.

I have tried everything in the library and I find that I can read Spanish ten times better than I can speak or understand it.

I tried the Rosetta Stone and either there is something wrong with me or it is more hype than effect. I don't have the money for a private tutor so does anyone know of a self study program that "really" works and works fast?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My brother moved to Spain and he was given the tip... that what you need to do is get children's books and start there, Just like when you are a child and you learn to read and speak,

So if you can get any Spanish children's books that may be a good place to start,

Other than that i would tell you if possible to go on a break to Spain or another Spanish speaking place, you would learn very quick then,

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks.

I wish I could take off for Spain for a couple of months but that is an impossibility.

I don't have a problem with reading Spanish. In fact if I could get everyone I talked to to write what they are saying down I would have it made.

My problem is comprehending the spoken word and making myself understood.

I can tell you that I have had some people laughing so hard because my Spanish is so bad that I was thinking of taking a side job as a comedian.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I completely understand that issue. I studied French and Spanish for several years and was able to read the the languages, write them, speak them, and know the grammatical rules. But if you put me in an environment where I have to listen to a native Spanish or French speaker and actually comprehend what they're saying, I can't understand except for a few catch words because of the fast speech and accents.

Asala's advice is good- start with children's programs in the form of videos and such. It will slowly train you to be able to process what others are saying and to get your accents right. Then stick with it and practice, practice, practice. I'm rusty now because I no longer know anyone who can communicate with me on a regular basis in the languages. So don't let that happen to you because it's frustrating to lose all the progress.

Once you progress, watch some Spanish television shows so you can become accustomed to the speech patterns and accents. Or watch some Spanish movies with subtitles. Best of luck. I studied for so long and hard and was nearly fluent but now I'm barely able to talk about the weather or ask where the bathroom is. lol I'm pretty angry with myself for forgetting so much so don't let that happen to you. Good luck!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Again great ideas. I will be off to the library again this time for videos.

Crazy thing is I understand more what is being said on Spanish radio then I do Spanish TV.

I think it might have to do with the amount of information that is given in such a small period of time because you know how fast they talk on the radio. Warp speed.

Maybe with the radio I don't have time to stop and think about what words I missed.

join