It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians...make me mad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
About the bible saying they do not exsist. Try bringing up to your work friends that the pope himself has now acknowledged that alien life is a possibility.

I would be curious to know what they say about the head hancho of the christian religion saying there is a possibility that aliens exsist.....

[edit on 23-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
About the bible saying they do not exsist. Try bringing up to your work friends that the pope himself has now acknowledged that alien life is a possibility.

I would be curious to know what they say about the head hancho of the christian religion saying there is a possibility that aliens exsist.....

Two things. One, the pope is Catholic.
Two, just because an extremely important religious figure says aliens might exist doesn't justify it; humans make mistakes.

I think God wants us to concentrate more on what we're going here on Earth instead of worrying about other planets. That's why it doesn't say anything about it in the Bible, because it's not the main focus of why we're here. That could also be why the Bible doesn't talk a lot about the creation of the universe; because we're here and it doesn't really matter how we got here, but we do while we're here.

Just my €0.02. (I would've used the dollar, but it's too inflated.
)

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I'm Catholic but my eldest son belongs to a Baptist Youth group. One night, a few months ago, his pastors and some of the kids were in my kitchen talking bible stuff, when the subject of evolution came up.
They all stated that evolution was false and whole-heartedly embraced creationism.
I stated that evolution actually proves the existence of God by showing that even single-cell organisms have a 'choice' (free will) when choosing, from environmental pressures whether to adapt or not.
I said God gave us free will and that ability to adapt to environmental pressures shows that, genetically we have that choice to make.

I was almost chased out of my own house.

Needless to say, they have not been back

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Do you judge the religion or those that practice it?

The bible never explicitly says "there is no other life" or "God didn't make other planets with other people living there"

so then it's not due to their religion that they don't even accept ETs as a possibility, it is their close-mindedness, which is promoted by organised religion.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Remember one of the cornerstones of theism is the brainwashing of children in their cult, they can't help it. Free thinkers will understand that like somewhere else in the universe is more likely than god existing.

The reason for this is empirical evidence. There is a planet with complex life on it - earth. Astronomers have found planets around other stars. It is not a big stretch to suggest that there may be another earth type planet out there with aliens living there.

There is no empirical evidence for the existence of the christian god and no evidence of other gods.

Thereby, the existence of aliens is more probable than god.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Disclaimer: I'm not Christian, but I am fascinated with religion.

This is my impression, and it applies equally to all judeo-christian-muslim belief systems that teach that there is no other life.

The theory is such, God created us in his image, therefore, we are the highest from of life.

From Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Since God gave man "dominion" over all other life, there cannot be life elsewhere that is of a higher intelligence or level of sophistication.

On the other hand, I don't believe that being a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Buddhist, etc... means that you cannot believe in scripture and also believe in ET's.

I think the question really comes down to if you believe in the scripture as literal fact that is not open to interpretation or if you understand it to be allegory. For people who believe that the Earth is 6000 years old because the bible say so (regardless of which faith) there is no way they can believe that there is anything beyond this tiny planet.

Disclaimer: I am a Christian, and I am fascinated about other religions.

The scripture you quoted in no way rules out life in other parts of the galaxy or the entire universe. That scripture applies only to man on this planet (which I am reasonably sure you are aware). I think it takes an amazing amount of arrogance for Christians to ASSUME that God created a universe this vast and only planted life in our tiny corner. God is a God of life, and I suspect he filled this universe with as much of it as possible while using the physical laws HE created to keep us from stumbling over one another too soon.

On another point, scripture describes in Revelation some creatures that can hardly be considered terrestrial or angelic. Just sayin.

Another disclaimer: I have been in close proximity to what I am sure was an alien craft long before I became a Christian, which probably has biased my opinion to some degree.

Anyway, fun topic!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Originally posted by Totakeke

Are you under the impression that catholosism does not fit under the belt of christinaity???

Two, just because an extremely important religious figure says aliens might exist doesn't justify it; humans make mistakes.

I think you missed the point. If these two friends are as hard core christian as they are being made out to be, then the popes word should matter to them more than you seem to realize....

That is all I am saying.

I agree, the popes word is no more important than anyone elses. I am not religous myself but even I can see the impact the pope has on the christian religion.)

That said, if these guys are hardcore christians like the OP indicate to me, I would love to hear what they think about what their pope said....

For the record I do not believe the pope is privy to knowledge that others are not. I just wanted to see what they thought after finding out that their pope had acknoweldged the possibility.

Assinine as it may be. Pointless as it may be because you and I both know the pope is no more special than you or I.... I just want to know what they think of what the pope said.... That's all

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I guess I should have been more specific and said "Protestant Christians". They are not Catholic so it's easy to know their answer to the Pope

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DisgustedOne

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that just because someone follows a particular faith means that they must believe that there is no life elsewhere.

I was just pointing out a particular section of the bible that I know people point to in order to justify their belief system that God didn't create life elsewhere. BTW, that part of the Bible - Genesis - is from the Old Testament (Torah) so it applies to Jews too.

Anyway, when the bible was written, I don't think people understood that there was the potential for other planets in the universe like earth. Remember, people thought that the sun revolved around the earth, the earth was in the center of the solar system, galaxy, universe, etc..., and the earth was flat.

Lets get some perspective here. In terms of singling out Christianity, I think it is extremely unfair to make that generalization. See: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know that the Catholic Church for example pays for a ton of scientific research through its universities and otherwise.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke

Are you under the impression that catholosism does not fit under the belt of christinaity???

I think you missed the point. If these two friends are as hard core christian as they are being made out to be, then the popes word should matter to them more than you seem to realize....

That is all I am saying.

I agree, the popes word is no more important than anyone elses. I am not religous myself but even I can see the impact the pope has on the christian religion.)

That said, if these guys are hardcore christians like the OP indicate to me, I would love to hear what they think about what their pope said....

For the record I do not believe the pope is privy to knowledge that others are not. I just wanted to see what they thought after finding out that their pope had acknoweldged the possibility.

Assinine as it may be. Pointless as it may be because you and I both know the pope is no more special than you or I.... I just want to know what they think of what the pope said.... That's all

I am not being critical when I offer this clarification: The Pope only speaks for Catholicism, not the rest of Christianity (protestants, of which there are many, many flavors). Most Protestants don't give the Pope the time of day and in fact consider him to be, well, of the "devil". So, unless the 2 co-workers in question are Catholic, their response might be a little colorful, I would think.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by FlySolo

I'm Catholic but my eldest son belongs to a Baptist Youth group. One night, a few months ago, his pastors and some of the kids were in my kitchen talking bible stuff, when the subject of evolution came up.
They all stated that evolution was false and whole-heartedly embraced creationism.
I stated that evolution actually proves the existence of God by showing that even single-cell organisms have a 'choice' (free will) when choosing, from environmental pressures whether to adapt or not.
I said God gave us free will and that ability to adapt to environmental pressures shows that, genetically we have that choice to make.

I was almost chased out of my own house.

Needless to say, they have not been back

Frustrating isn't it?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
reply to post by FlySolo

Do you judge the religion or those that practice it?

The bible never explicitly says "there is no other life" or "God didn't make other planets with other people living there"

so then it's not due to their religion that they don't even accept ETs as a possibility, it is their close-mindedness, which is promoted by organised religion.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by mostlyspoons]

I have my problems with organized religion which speak of the Lord being responsible for everything. It's was God's will the house burned down, it was God's will the flood took our city. Feel the fear of God and what not. However, It's everyone's right. My biggest problem are those who are closed minded. You can practice it but open your mind. I'm losing patience.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Remember one of the cornerstones of theism is the brainwashing of children in their cult, they can't help it. Free thinkers will understand that like somewhere else in the universe is more likely than god existing.

The reason for this is empirical evidence. There is a planet with complex life on it - earth. Astronomers have found planets around other stars. It is not a big stretch to suggest that there may be another earth type planet out there with aliens living there.

There is no empirical evidence for the existence of the christian god and no evidence of other gods.

Thereby, the existence of aliens is more probable than god.

This is exactly what I told them, except you said it better

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
reply to post by DisgustedOne

Lets get some perspective here. In terms of singling out Christianity, I think it is extremely unfair to make that generalization. See: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I won't bring other religions into this because I have no knowledge or experience to comment on their beliefs. This OP is directed specifically to Christianity, Protestant.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
You must have been talking to some hermit christians. My mom was like that. she thought the violence on tv was real. I'm not kidding. angels/demons could easily be aliens, but that's been said no doubt...haven't perused thread yet.
alien recognizing christian out.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

There is no empirical evidence for the existence of the christian god and no evidence of other gods. Thereby, the existence of aliens is more probable than god.

No, there is no evidence for God. But just because the existence of aliens is more probable than God doesn't mean that aliens exist and that God doesn't. It's probable that I'm going to take another bite of my pizza right now but there's a slim chance that I won't (I might drop it or spill something on it).

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
There are more important things to be angry about.

• War

• Children going to bed hungry

• Murder

• Fear

• Men, women and children sleeping on the street

• Bigotry

• Child abuse

Yes indeed, Christians, Muslims and atheists not believing in ET is very low on the list....and they should be on yours too. Don't we have enough anger and hatred going around already without adding to it with meaningless and petty resentments?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
There are more important things to be angry about.

• War

• Children going to bed hungry

• Murder

• Fear

• Men, women and children sleeping on the street

• Bigotry

• Child abuse

It's all icing on the cake

[edit on 23-5-2009 by FlySolo]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm Christian, and I believe that extraterrestrial life, intelligent extraterrestrial life, exists elsewhere.

There you go.

You know, despite what you may think, religion does not have anywhere near the hold over people as it has done in past centuries, such as during the Middle Ages. There are many people in the present day that are capable of subscribing to a structured belief system, no matter how devoted they may be, while exercising an open, but also critical mind.

I wouldn't clump all of them together in one convenient stereotype just because of one or a few personal experiences.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pretty_vacant
I'm Christian, and I believe that extraterrestrial life, intelligent extraterrestrial life, exists elsewhere.

There you go.

You know, despite what you may think, religion does not have anywhere near the hold over people as it has done in past centuries, such as during the Middle Ages. There are many people in the present day that are capable of subscribing to a structured belief system, no matter how devoted they may be, while exercising an open, but also critical mind.

I wouldn't clump all of them together in one convenient stereotype just because of one or a few personal experiences.

Well said. Unfortunately I need to clump them together (protestants that is) because I feel the majority of christians will disagree with you and me.

That said, it is becoming clearer the christian ya's have it so far in this thread. That may be because I am in the wrong site to post this debate. Most die hard christian fundamentalists don't even know about ATS.

Christian Fundamentalists is where I am going with this. That's the ticket

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join