It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians...make me mad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is a post for all you Christians out there and the discussion of other life besides our own. Now I'm sure this topic has been created a thousand times but I would like to have my own discussion on this matter.

I have two co-workers whom I like. We work well together well and we have good conversations on worldly issues. Until they bring the "lord" into it. They are both devoted Christians and I like to stir things up sometimes with some controversy.

Yesterday I asked on their thoughts about ET life. They both responded immediately no with lame lame lame reasons as to why. For example:

1. all other planets in our solar system don't support life except our own
2. Why have we not been able to find them?
3. How come we have never found Alien slime? (this was really an excuse) LMAO
4. because the bible says so (this one really gets me mad)

I could go on, but I want you to give me some more reasons why you think we are alone in this universe?

Seriously, how can any one these days really believe that our tiny little insignificant planet holds the only life in the vastness of our universe? You could never fathom with your most wildest imagination how large of a place it is. And further, how self absorbed one must be to believe we are that special.

Now, I'm not denying the possibility of a God, just because I haven't seen it. Yet, Christians will quickly denounce the possibility of ET life for this exact reason. And to make matters worse, snicker at the thought. Pathetic, childish, delusional. I won't laugh at you because of your belief system, but Christians have the audacity to be critical of mine? How dare you? What makes you so special?

So tell me why there is no ET life?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I really don't know what Christianity has to do with it. The Bible does not address planets or worlds outside our universe. There would be no reason for the Bible to get into the subject as it focuses on the world we live on,.

I don't see how anyone could assume that no other life forms exist on the millions of other planets, seems conceded to me, to think that humans are it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You spoke with two Christians and now you say all Christan's make you mad because they don't believe there is life on other planets.

Your supposition is fatally flawed. There are many Christians all over this planet and you talked with two.

I am a Christian. You didn't talk with me and I believe in life on other planets.

You will get no augment from me about the possibility of ET. I have been up close and personal with two UFOs. Unfortunately I wasn't close enough.

God created the heavens and the earth. He never said he didn't create intelligent life on others planets. I believe He did create other life and I hope they are much smarter than we humans are.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm a Christian, and I FULLY believe in extraterrestrial, intellgent life.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say we are alone. And who is to say that God didn't have some fun along the way and make many more species like us across the galaxy. God has already shown us that he loves variety... just look at mankind and the various species of animals, plants, and other lifeforms on just our small world alone.

Sadly, however, you are right. Most of my fellow Christians are extremely close-minded about many things without taking the time to rationally think things through.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
same here, i feel that aliens are out there just watching us.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Next time you go into work ask your friends if they think God created life elsewhere in the universe .

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

There are many private groups that say there are no ET's. There are whole departments in the government that say there are no ET's. I think this is a veiled way for you to stir the pot against Christians... Troll...

In fact did it really happen? Did your conversation really take place?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm not Christian, but I am fascinated with religion.

This is my impression, and it applies equally to all judeo-christian-muslim belief systems that teach that there is no other life.

The theory is such, God created us in his image, therefore, we are the highest from of life.

From Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Since God gave man "dominion" over all other life, there cannot be life elsewhere that is of a higher intelligence or level of sophistication.

On the other hand, I don't believe that being a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Buddhist, etc... means that you cannot believe in scripture and also believe in ET's.

I think the question really comes down to if you believe in the scripture as literal fact that is not open to interpretation or if you understand it to be allegory. For people who believe that the Earth is 6000 years old because the bible say so (regardless of which faith) there is no way they can believe that there is anything beyond this tiny planet.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Most of the Christians I've talked to- especially on ATS- acknowledge the existence of extra terrestrial life. I'm not Catholic but even the Vatican has released a statement that believing in aliens is not taboo. There is even a possible reference in the Bible to life on other planets but it is open to interpretation.

My mind personally is not made up concerning their existence or nature but I try to keep an open mind and do believe it is possible- even highly probable due to the size of the universe- that they exist.

So perhaps it's the people who hang out with? I'm a highly devout Christian but don't completely dismiss the possibility and I know very few who do. Not sure how many Christians will respond to this in the negative because most of the Christians on ATS are open to the possibility of their existence. Most of our discussion boils down to their nature and purpose- not their existence.

[edit on 5/23/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by northof8

I think you nailed it on the head.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
You spoke with two Christians and now you say all Christan's make you mad because they don't believe there is life on other planets.

Your supposition is fatally flawed. There are many Christians all over this planet and you talked with two.

Do you honestly believe I have only talked with two christians in my whole life? Rethink your statement before assuming and see how fatally flawed your supposition is. I said two co-workers who happen to be christians. This in not uncommon for them to get all "lord this and the lord that and ufo's is crazy talk"

[edit on 23-5-2009 by FlySolo]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by northof8
reply to post by FlySolo

There are many private groups that say there are no ET's. There are whole departments in the government that say there are no ET's. I think this is a veiled way for you to stir the pot against Christians... Troll...

If i never had this conversation with christians on the subject, then why would it make me mad? duh. think about it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The main problem is that we allow ourselves to be grouped together and givel these labels of "seperation" as I call them.

I have met dozens of Christians, who firmly believe in other life, and their reasoning is simple. Why would God, as they see it, only create one group of things in such a large ammount of space?

Seems plausible that he would not, doesn't it? The problem, is that organized religion wants to keep the myth of us being alone alive. It's in their best interest in order to keep faith and the very old traditions alive.

It's wrong in a sense, perhaps chivalrous in another, everybody has their own opinion on that. Myself I am not a religious person, I strongly believe in ET's or ED's (Extra-Dimensional) beings.

You are right to say that alot of Christians will tend to shut you down when it comes to speaking about their beliefs vs your own, however this is true with many religions, not just Christianity.

Simply because they are the majority, doesn't make them the only guilty party here. There is a very great need for us to simply accept each other's differences and leave in piece, rather than dimiss our ideas and intelligent thought out plans, on a simple matter of God.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
Do you honestly believe I have only talked with two christians in my whole life? Rethink your statement before assuming and see how fatally flawed your supposition is. I said two co-workers who happen to be christians.

In DD's defense, I gathered the same impression. You used those two as examples to rant about the 'delusional' Christians as a whole, when it appears Christians who dismiss the possibility of extra terrestrial life is the minority.

Also, another member asked a good question:

There are many private groups that say there are no ET's. There are whole departments in the government that say there are no ET's. I think this is a veiled way for you to stir the pot against Christians.

If alien life does in fact exist, I'd personally be more peeved at the government agencies intentionally covering up the evidence and hiding it from us than I would be a irritated by a group of individual skeptics. Just my two very humble cents.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Disclaimer: I'm not Christian, but I am fascinated with religion.

This is my impression, and it applies equally to all judeo-christian-muslim belief systems that teach that there is no other life.

The theory is such, God created us in his image, therefore, we are the highest from of life.

From Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Since God gave man "dominion" over all other life, there cannot be life elsewhere that is of a higher intelligence or level of sophistication.

On the other hand, I don't believe that being a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Buddhist, etc... means that you cannot believe in scripture and also believe in ET's.

I think the question really comes down to if you believe in the scripture as literal fact that is not open to interpretation or if you understand it to be allegory. For people who believe that the Earth is 6000 years old because the bible say so (regardless of which faith) there is no way they can believe that there is anything beyond this tiny planet.

Right, I believe the bible is left up to interpretation. Man having dominion over all other life...on this planet. Seeing the bible doesn't speak of other planets.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Dominion also can be interpreted as 'protecting' or 'watching over' as opposed to dominating, if we take that statement in the medieval, King James text.

And the Bible only mentions this world, and I think it does that for a purpose.

Faith is our primary method of 'seeing' God, as it were. Faith is our primary method of believing in the existance of ET life as well.

If humanity had eveything explained to us... wouldn't we all be very terribly bored? Mystery and questioning keep us searching and motivated... without them, we would be even more lacadaisical than we are now.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by FlySolo
Do you honestly believe I have only talked with two christians in my whole life? Rethink your statement before assuming and see how fatally flawed your supposition is. I said two co-workers who happen to be christians.

In DD's defense, I gathered the same impression. You used those two as examples to rant about the 'delusional' Christians as a whole, when it appears Christians who dismiss the possibility of extra terrestrial life is the minority.

Also, another member asked a good question:

There are many private groups that say there are no ET's. There are whole departments in the government that say there are no ET's. I think this is a veiled way for you to stir the pot against Christians.

If alien life does in fact exist, I'd personally be more peeved at the government agencies intentionally covering up the evidence and hiding it from us than I would be a irritated by a group of individual skeptics. Just my two very humble cents.

Yes, I agree. Government cover-ups and skeptics on another form or level is another thread. They make me angry too but not as much so. Non christian skeptics will refute evidence based on science. I embrace healthy scientific skepticism, it keeps a good balance and is needed.

However, with that said, this is a discussion about christians and their disbelief or non willingness to consider other life. Their evidence is the bible and the interpretations therein.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm giving you a star and a flag for making an interesting post that is getting good response.

I don't agree with you but must give you credit for stirring the pot. If only I could do as well.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by northof8
reply to post by FlySolo

it occurred to me that perhaps you may be a christian troll trying to derail my opinion based on the strawman tactic.

If so, then tell me why you think we are so special?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

How lovely.

I will give you all here a good piece of advice, when you think somebody is trolling, don't bother with a reply.

You are only feeding the troll. Feed them once, and they don't leave you alone, they always expect more.

And I think the was simply trying to make you think about your argument a little more.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join