It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Smoking Agenda: What is the problem?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ciggarettes are a completely unnecessary and harmful addiction. If it only bothered the smokers, I wouldnt really care as its their choice... But that's NOT the case. Second and third hand smoke have been proven to be harmful (especially to children) Smoke damage in buildings is a problem that costs money to repair, and the annual ciggarette-related health costs are astronomical. Where's the upside?
Ciggarettes serve two purposes only: Some criminals in suits and ties get rich, while the foolish saps who get addicted die...

Oil and gas pollution is most definately a problem, but in today's world how could you get by without driving? Ciggarettes cost you money and your health, all for a few minutes of mild enjoyment.

It's funny that Obama says he's here for the little guy, the poor, etc. then he turns around and taxes smokers--a demographic where middle to low class and minorities are statistically shown to be in the majority...

They can raise tobacco taxes as much as they want, they won't curb anyone's smoking habits! They don't understand addiction very well do they? People will do without basic needs before they go without their ciggarettes!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It's all about money, control and crime.
Get them addicted, make more money, Up the prices, get more money, make stricter laws, people break the laws, make more money.

Just like with alcohol you'll see stricter laws, more manipulations of our freedoms, but it will never be fully done away with as it is too much of a money maker. So what they do is force you to consume the product under their conditions ( if you go against some of these insane and trivial conditions, you're breaking the law which is a crime and they make a few more bucks!) They can sell it to you, control how you use it, then punish you for not doing it the way they say to! and take all the money they can from you while they can.
Don't kid yourself if you think for once second they actually care about your true health, if that were the case so many things would be different in this country, and they'd simply outlaw it all together.
Notice how these things often occur with addictive substances?
It's because they underestimate people and their will power they know that they are already hooked and once they see it is something people would have a hard time going without it makes it a much easier substance to control and make money from.
The government also does this with the pharmaceuticals as well, doctors will get you hooked on a certain medication often times an opiate or benzo and now sleeping pills these pills are insanely expensive and also very well controlled, then once you can not afford those medications they don't have a substitute that is the same of that pill but rather they'll change the medication to something that is not of the same family and you'll experience withdrawals going off of it, they never fully educate the people on the dangers of addiction and withdrawal so when the person does stop taking it they will simply pay whatever they have in order to buy the original more expensive medication because the pain and emotional distress of the withdrawal is too much to take.
I see this done every day by the doctors at the REHAB I am a counselor at people they know are already highly prone to addictions.
This is also why your every day normal Joe is pushed into buying his medication from the corner.(possibly they want to encourage street crime and create more material for their "war on drugs", again more crime more money, more laws more crime, more control&money, more addictive more it's needed and wanted the more people will pay for it with money or laws they will break to obtain it or laws they'll break while abusing or using under illegal conditions again make it available make it expensive, make laws stricter,more crime, more money.)
The government is big on getting us addicted on many different things, then using their control to create the outcome they want, more crime, they create a need for something so no price is too much for it, to make more money.
Crime is money, Stricter Regulations create crime, making more money.
The government makes so much money on addictive substances from the things I've said before and now they've discovered there's a huge money maker in rehabs it cost 1,000 dollars a night at the rehab I work at, IT'S INSANE and disgusting and makes me sick, as why I run my own non profit program that is completely separated from the government, they can not obtain any info on my clients, (for people who do seek treatment for whatever always go non profit it will be harder for your info to not be obtained and jobs and works will not just be handed your info as easily as they are by state run facilities.)
I personally believe this perspective and out look all started with smoking and smoking is the tip of this sort of agenda and process.
It's going to go much deeper as we have seen with methadone/saboxin(use it to get people off drugs but yet still gets you high and even more addictive), and now pot.
Sorry if this makes no sense or seems scattered I am on a new treatment and it has jumbled my brain go figure, again sorry.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I forgot the two exceptions to this law.

1. There is a place in the Houses of Parliament because its crown property
2. At the G10 summit in London for security reasons

I think there are some hidden benefits to smoking this must be part of another conspiracy!

I wonder if part of the plan is to control people and have us fighting and arguing with one another, perhaps to keep us distracted.
Also to take more money in taxes, in the UK 20 Marlboro king size are
$9 US

But I think drinking will be next on the list!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I made the vehicle exhaust argument recently. The hospital where I work is a "smoke free" hospital, meaning you can't smoke anywhere near it. Security frequently stops people on the sidewalks a good 150 feet from the building and tells them they can't smoke.

Anyway I smoke behind the parking garage next to the exit. Security stopped and demanded I put the cigarette out. I said they were inhaling more crap from the constant stream of SUVs pouring out of the garage than from my cigarette. Predictably, this didn't matter to them because how can they feel important without giving me crap? But still, I thought it was a perfectly valid point and when I was contacted by hospital Admin. after security took my name and department they agreed. Instead of the suspension we are supposed to get, I just got a "go around the corner from now on."

Maybe it's because they're all smokers and I gave them a good excuse. ROFLOFADINGDONG

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

This, I suggest, is really a devised plan to further divide us and conquer us.

I reason this because now there are those who believe that even a whiff of smoke from a passer-by on the street is equal to the threat of inhaling asbestos - and yet...

These same people are inhaling vehicle exhaust, daily and in far greater quantities, without a single objection (beyond comments regarding the stink).

Yes, I agree! As you noticed - several people ranted about smokers everywhere - in this thread!! Even to the point of complaining about people OUTSIDE smoking.......geesh! Not once do they look at the damaging factors of other pollutants around them - some you mentioned!

reply to post by mblahnikluver

What are they going to say next you cant smoke in your own home!

Uhhhhhhhhhh, that is right!! It is called controlling others and many towns may try to do this. I will then not only be a TERRORIST for my beliefs but a CRIMINAL because I will continue to smoke in my house.

reply to post by Ace High

Ban outdoor smoking? Really?

Uh, huh!! Heaven forbid, some cannot have some level of control over anything they do not want around them.........

Even if you hate smoking do you really want the government to have that kind of power?

That is the point, is it not?!?!?!?!? We must make anyone, and everyone, feel comfortable - mustn't we?? Bah, humbug!! I say the same about my bad habits (smoking, drinking, pot, etc., ect.) as I do guns WHEN YOU PRY THEM FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!

Funny but, even the rightous ones who say we should not even smoke outdoors, are consuming cancer causing agents daily!! You cannot live today without using, eating, drinking, inhaling something that can cause cancer!!

So, all you militant Anti-Smoking (I love that!) people?? Get a grip, would you.

I SEE STUPID PEOPLE!!!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
Ciggarettes are a completely unnecessary and harmful addiction.

This may be so, but ranting on the ills of ciggarettes is not what this thread is about.

Do you feel as vehement about vehicle exhaust?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
I think there are some hidden benefits to smoking this must be part of another conspiracy!

In fact, there's some evidence that nicotine counteracts the effects of fluoride - as in its doping and placidifying of the masses.

I wonder if part of the plan is to control people and have us fighting and arguing with one another, perhaps to keep us distracted.
Also to take more money in taxes, in the UK 20 Marlboro king size are
$9 US

It's a good excuse to extort, yes. It has several "benefits" for the PTB. It keeps us fighting about something that, if courtesy is exercised, is really a non-issue. It allows laws that are unConstitutional to be passed, setting precedent. It makes pariahs out of some. And other such things.

But I think drinking will be next on the list!

Heh. They tried that here in the States. Didn't work well at all, creating the selfsame issues today's drug prohibition is creating (you'd think we would learn!), leading to the repeal of the prohibition.

I doubt they could convince us to do it all over again. But then, if the first effort is not taught to the kids, they might do so once most are unaware of history and ripe to repeat it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea

I made the vehicle exhaust argument recently. ...

... But still, I thought it was a perfectly valid point and when I was contacted by hospital Admin. after security took my name and department they agreed. Instead of the suspension we are supposed to get, I just got a "go around the corner from now on."

Maybe it's because they're all smokers and I gave them a good excuse. ROFLOFADINGDONG

LOL! Good for you! Well, regardless, I can't believe we are letting people think that a random exposure every three months will kill 'em, when what is really killing them is being spewed by every passing vehicle.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

Excellent post! Thank you for your words and your ability to see how this is tied into controlling us.

Most of the Anti-Smokers (not mere non-smokers) are vicaiously controlling others through their support of anti-freedom, draconian, intrusive laws.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
There was recently a bill in the Maryland Senate to make it illegal to smoke cigarettes within the limits of a town in our county. I think it was dropped before it got to a vote. At any rate it didn't make it through to become law.
It was brought up by a group because of the reason stated already in this thread-- smoke drifting into the yard of a non-smoking neighbor. I don't know, seems excessive to me.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Do you know if there have been any studies on smokers not getting airborne illnesses as frequently as a non smoker?

It would seem that if you can't absorb much in your lungs due to tar build up that it would cut your risk of inhaling an airborne illness.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
There was recently a bill in the Maryland Senate to make it illegal to smoke cigarettes within the limits of a town in our county. I think it was dropped before it got to a vote. At any rate it didn't make it through to become law.
It was brought up by a group because of the reason stated already in this thread-- smoke drifting into the yard of a non-smoking neighbor. I don't know, seems excessive to me.

Heh. To me too! Glad it was dropped. (Couldn't the ones objecting move upwind??? Geez.)

So what is your thought on its being a divide and conquer thing? How about the fact that we all are breathing, on a regular and virtually consistent basis, much worse in the form of vehicle exhaust? Any comment on the disparity between the rabid Anti-Smokers and the lack of even investigation into the effects of the exhaust?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by lightchild

Do you know if there have been any studies on smokers not getting airborne illnesses as frequently as a non smoker?

It would seem that if you can't absorb much in your lungs due to tar build up that it would cut your risk of inhaling an airborne illness.

Have not heard, no. But it might be an interesting study. Maybe that's a reason the NWO makes it an issue. These people won't get the weaponized bugs they're goint to hit us with...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I see where you are coming from. I am a non-smoker myself and remember talking about "anti-smoking campaigns" with a former colleague of mine. He was trying to give up smoking, but thought it was almost fascist like how smokers are being singled out and damned. He raised some good points along these lines from memory:

- it is socially acceptable to lecture anyone who smokes about the dangers it can cause, yet one is not allowed to lecture obese individuals about the harm they are causing their bodies
- there is little evidence to suggest that PASSIVE smoking has resulted in a significant number of deaths for those exposed (excluding highly asthmatic persons and the young)
- even if people are doing something you feel is wrong, as long as it is not against the law, it is their business and their decision

All in all, as long as smokers are not standing right beside me and smoking, not standing next to an asthmatic person or near an infant and smoking, I have no problem with them doing so. Most smokers I encounter adhere to these simple requests. But of course, there are still a few bad apples like in all aspects of life.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Of course its a divide and conquer tactic.
If anything, it's a social experiment to see how far they can manipulate the masses to hate a particular group of people for imbibiing a LEGAL product.

People seem to hate tobacco smokers more than smokers of the other weed where you exhale a whole pile smoke too.
But that's okay because that's COOL.
They don't get lung cancer or a whole host of other health problems from THAT kind of smoking of course.

Considering how much money the CIA , which is a government organisation let's not forget, make through the distribution of Illicit drugs, can you honestly say it's our health that they are concerned about?
I think the reason they keep harping on about tobacco, is to keep our eyes away from the shell that covers the really sinister stuff.

Yeah, keep banging on about tobacco while more dangerous drugs get smuggled across the border to do worse things to kids health and give them a police record if they are caught with it.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think the problem is too many damn people are expecting the government to protect them and everyone else from themselves. And as anyone with half a brain should know, you just can't save people from themselves. Freedom is the casualty.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I go a little bit beyond the idea of it being a divide and conquer ploy...
I think it's scapegoating at it's finest!!

the companies are throwing unhealthy crap into everything, the perfumes, the fabric softeners, food, drinks, clothing, blankets, and on and on and on.....you CAN'T escape it! and that little bit someone gets as they walk by you while your smoking is insignificant compared to it....
but, all this crap we are being hit with on a daily basis is having a very negative effect on our health, and they can't deny something isn't going on. so, instead of being honest with us and themselves.....well, they just pick a few things to blame it on....fast food, sodas cigarettes, ect. but the companies are allowed to continue throwing the crap into everything, so well, when they eliminate the fast food, the sodas, the cigarettes, ect...the problem will still be there staring them in the eyes, and they will have to find other scapegoats to explain the mess...

far fewer people smoke now than they did when I was growing up, and those people are very much restricted as to where they smoke. I grew up in a household where mom and dad smoked, the took turned watching me, there was no baby sitter, which meant they took turns taking me to work every night. my mom was a bartender, so I spend many nights in a smoke filled bar....
I never had any problem running and playing, I could breath normally....so could all my friends, matter of fact, I can't think of anyone I went to school with that had asthma. go into the nurse's office in any school and take a look at the medicine she has in their for the students of the school.. you will find a ton of medications for asthma!!! obviously, it isn't just the cigarettes causing the asthma, otherwise, there would have been many more cases of asthma when I was growing up than there is now!! on the contrary......the rate of asthma in this country is outrageous!!

it's scapegoating, they don't want these people who are getting sick from the poisons that they are allowing the companies to throw into everything under the sun to figure out what is going on, they are diverting their attention to a small group, let them take the heat for it!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It's a smoker's RIGHT to smoke.

It's a driver's RIGHT to drive.

Both have health effects. Vehicles expel numerous amounts of toxins continuously throughout the day. After a cigarette is lighted, it lasts only around 5 to 10 minutes depending on the smoker while vehicles continue to pump out their smoke for a much longer period.

If they ban smoking then they should ban driving as well. Health is the reason right? People can use bicycles as an exercise instead of sitting around your car and pressing the gas pedal to inject smoke in the air.

Ok. I know some folks here will say "it's too far for a bicycle". Then change the oil using cars to alternative energy cars. There's are a number of them around already.

If you don't like the smell of cigarettes then move away or tell the smoker to move away. That's it. All this marginalization is sickening.

Yes. I am a smoker and there's no way I'm giving this up.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I laugh at those who think being around a smoker for 30 seconds will kill them. I remember as a kid in the back seat of the car, my parents would smoke. In fact, I had a great uncle that would close the windows as he smoked a cigar and farted frequently during the drive. But me and my siblings managed to make it out alive. My grandmother smoked since 12, and did so until she died in her mid seventies. Never once had breathing problems, and she smoked the unfiltered stuff for years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like bring in a smoked filled area, but I'm cool with smokers. It's their thing. Some anti smoker people act as though tobacco has only been around for 50 years, in fact it's been around for hundreds, what do you think the natives smoked? I don't smoke, but I sure would rather have the option. Plus, just like a few of the posters here, I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then. It's very, soothing. But exhausts from cars aren't the only thing in the air that is much worse than tobacco, how about all of those industrial plants? There a thousand and one things that are poisoning our air, but let's start a fight amongs ourselves over people's freedom to smoke.

Don't give me the health concern thing, yes it can cause cancer, but answer me this, how is it that everyone before smoking got banned in areas like it is now not get cancer? How did our parents make it out alive, if tobacco causes cancer then why didn't all over our parents, and grandparents and before them not have cancer? Because some get it, some don't, it is also genetic. But with all that junk in the air caused by exhausts and industrial plants, not to mention the poisoning of our waters i can only imagine how many people are going to eventually get sick in this generation. It's also amusing that with our country, and world, falling apart in more ways than one, people still can't keep themselves from minding their own business. That is what is being done to smokers, people who can't mind their business and let other's live their life have to demonize what they choose to do. "Because it is a stupid habit and it is wrong!" People need to seriously get a life.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This world, this country today is no longer satisfied by having freedom. You also have more and more people who don't simply want freedom to do what they want...they also want the freedom to force others to do what they want.

Gay marriage is a great example. It isn't (truly) that they want the legal rights of marriage...they want to take the label "marriage" and stuff their beliefs in the faces of others.

Smoking...the government makes billions off smoking and it is a large part of our economy. I don't truly believe that someone smoking in the "great outdoors" bothers anyone. At least not with their smoke. They bother people who simply want to stamp out smoking because they want their opinion to be the rule.

Prejudice...we have the right to be a$$holes! And everyone has prejudices about something. (Maybe smoking???).

This goes on and on. Go ahead and have your opinions, voice them if you wish. But leave us to have ours and stop trying to impose...or DICTATE your opinion, freedom and choices on others. "Live and let live"...or has everyone forgotten how to do that!

Oh...and on the argument of "its bad for you" or "you're costing society money"...SO WHAT! Whatever smokers cost society, I'm sure they make up for with taxes and dying earlier. And another little message to the world...Im a smart guy...I know what is good and bad for me. If I choose to do something "bad"...leave me the hell alone. It is my body...ISN'T IT? Or is that right going to be taken away also?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join