It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Smoking Agenda: What is the problem?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
When I was a kid, there were many people who smoked cigarettes, inside as well as outside, and non-smokers moved away from them if they were bothered.

Along came the idea of smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants - which I think is a lovely idea. It accommodated most everyone. But then even that went by the wayside, as militant Anti-Smoking groups pushed and pushed more.

We smokers have tucked tail and abided by the laws passed, moving outside and away from non-smokers, like the Blacks were forced away from "white" establishments back in the day. And now they want to take the outside away from us in many places.

This, I suggest, is really a devised plan to further divide us and conquer us.

I reason this because now there are those who believe that even a whiff of smoke from a passer-by on the street is equal to the threat of inhaling asbestos - and yet...

These same people are inhaling vehicle exhaust, daily and in far greater quantities, without a single objection (beyond comments regarding the stink).

The fact that, to my knowledge, no real efforts to determine the detrimental aspects of prolonged exposure to vehicle exhaust have been made, suggests that Big Oil does not want us to think about this threat. If we really took a look at the issues, I have no doubt we would find far more issues than we have with cigarette smoke.

So rather than freak out about catching a bit of cig smoke, turn attention to things that, as of now, one cannot walk away from.

I would like to know what my fellow ATSers think about this dichotomy in reaction and any other thoughts regarding the issues I present here.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What makes it even worse is that our government spends millions on these "truth" anti-smoking commercials. Have you ever met anyone who changed a part of their life because the government ad council told them to change?

I see those commercials and it just illustrates government waste and the fact that they think they can control every facet of our lives.

By the way I am not a smoker, well, except for the occasional premium cigar!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
What makes it even worse is that our government spends millions on these "truth" anti-smoking commercials. Have you ever met anyone who changed a part of their life because the government ad council told them to change?

I see those commercials and it just illustrates government waste and the fact that they think they can control every facet of our lives.

In fact... It would seem that "anti" smoking commercials...ENCOURAGE smoking. Especially in the defiant youth. So the purpose of these anti-smoking campaigns is to get more kids smoking!

By the way I am not a smoker, well, except for the occasional premium cigar!

[smile] I don't inhale my cigs. I smoke 'em like cigars (though I am just as addicted, given the absorption of the nicotine through the mouth).

Thank you for your response.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is true about the youth defying authority. I remember when I was in school we were given special presentations on being the "smoke free" class of 2000!

I remember hanging out with friends as they smoked away cracking jokes about the hypocritical teachers that are smoking a pack a day.

lol.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

They know what they're doing. They know that saying, "Don't do this" will create a divide between those who are defiant (and then become consumers of the product) and those who take all the propaganda to heart, believing that an occasional whiff will kill them.

Another example of divide and conquer, I tell you what.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
In the UK they have banned smoking in all restaurants and bars.
Also every business and public building.
Every entrance to a building has to no smoking sign outside.

It is now against the law to smoke in virtually all 'enclosed' and
'substantially enclosed' public places and workplaces. See below for definitions.

Public transport and work vehicles used by more than one person must be smoke free at all times.

No-smoking signs must be displayed in all smoke free premises and vehicles.

Staff smoking rooms and indoor smoking areas are no longer allowed, so anyone who wants to smoke has to go outside.

Managers of smoke free premises and vehicles have legal responsibilities to prevent people from smoking.

The penalties are

Smoking in smoke free premises or work vehicles: a fixed penalty notice of £50 (reduced to £30 if paid in 15 days) imposed on the person smoking. Or a maximum fine of £200 if prosecuted and convicted by a court.

Failure to display no-smoking signs: a fixed penalty notice of £200 (reduced to £150 if paid in 15 days) imposed on whoever manages or occupies the smoke free premises or vehicle. Or a maximum fine of £1000 if prosecuted and convicted by a court.

Failing to prevent smoking in a smoke free place: a maximum fine of £2500 imposed on whoever manages or controls the smoke free premises or vehicle if prosecuted and convicted by a court.

Smokefree England

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've worked in the Nursing profession and you would be amazed at the amount of Medical professionals who smoke.
If dealing with lung cancer patients doesn't deter then what will?
The answer NOTHING.

People will smoke and give up, when they are good and ready.
And no amount of preaching or fining is going to change it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I only started smoking over a year ago. Before that the smoke didnt really bother me. I would just sit in a non smoking area or not go around it. I dont smoke that much and have gone days without one. I have no idea why started either....As for banning smoking outside well that is just stupid! We are inhaling way more toxic stuff outside daily than what is in cigs imo with all the pollution. What are they going to say next you cant smoke in your own home!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Thank you, lightchild and Flighty, for your input.

I was wondering about your take on the possibility that this is a divide and conquer technique, as well as the issues of vehicle exhaust...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Very much a dividing technique. It creates another us vs. them battle. There is a time and place for everything, it all comes down to self control. Too much of anything is a bad thing IMO.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I only started smoking over a year ago. Before that the smoke didnt really bother me. I would just sit in a non smoking area or not go around it. I dont smoke that much and have gone days without one. I have no idea why started either....As for banning smoking outside well that is just stupid! We are inhaling way more toxic stuff outside daily than what is in cigs imo with all the pollution. What are they going to say next you cant smoke in your own home!

There are places here in the states that are trying to do just that, saying one cannot smoke anywhere, including their own homes. I don't think it's working too well - yet.

And the smoking laws set precedent. If they can tell you not to smoke in public places (indoor or out), or in your own homes and cars... What else can they proscribe?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Well I've smoked on and off for the better part of twenty years now, most recently quit 1 year ago and holding strong.

The problem with cigarettes, is that from top to bottom they are perhaps the most useless product on the market. There is absolutely no benefit to smoking, it's all negative.

From the waste of money to the health issue, you are literally lighting money on fire.

This is why there has been such a push by non-smokers to just have the whole thing removed, I can't say I blame them. Sure people make tons of money off of it, the government especially with their ridiculous taxes, but the bottom line is, it's stupid.

It makes no sense to purposely inhale smoke for any reason. Understandably for those who are hooked, the idea of quitting doesn't seem so cut and dry. But the truth is there are dozens if not hundreds of alternative as well as mainstream stop smoking aids that work.

I have used many and quit succesfully with mostly all, except for Gum..that never worked.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, they do put up a huge fuss over this and don't over things that are seemingly more important and effect more people.

In my opinion that fuss is warranted.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Oh, I do not dispute what you say here, but my point is that the whole agenda is contrived as a divide and conquer tactic.

And also that if we were as up in arms about the noxious creppola spewing from tailpipes, we would be doing society a far better service than marginalizing smokers.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Another point about these anti-smoking campaigns and ads is that are so many of them everywhere. You see more anti-smoking ads than ads against hard drugs (which in my opinion are fairly useless as well, but that's a different thread).

It is just so hypocritical, adults who have smoked for 20+ years telling the younger generation, "Yeh, we smoked tobacco, we had our fun, and made our mistakes, but trust us your not missing anything."

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

What is the fixation on "divide and conquer"? I'm not sure what you think could possibly be gained by dividing smokers and non-smokers. Who in your opinion is perpetrating this "divide and conquer" plan? The government? If it were up to the government agencies, I'm sure they'd want the population to continue smoking because there is a great deal of revenue to be gained via all the taxes. So who's going to be conquered? a bunch of nicotine addicted people? and then what they'll be rounded up and forced to live in smoker's internment camps? To what end?

I am not a smoker and truthfully, I don't give much thought to all the ads about the effects of second hand smoke. What I do know is that cigarette smoke stinks and I don't like it. As soon as I am forced to smell it, I get a headache and my contact lenses start hurting my eyes. I would like to see it banned in all outdoor areas. I cannot stand it when I have my windows open in my home and one of the neighbors goes outside to smoke. I am forced to close all my windows or else my home is filled up with the stinky aroma of tobacco. I wish smokers would smoke inside their own homes and stop smoking outside.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well, as I recently said on a thread: If something has been proven to be linked to an increased risk of cancer, why would you keep doing it? I mean going to tanning salons, smoking, etc. It's like if you know unprotected sex causes pregnancy and STDs, why would you keep doing it if it can harm you?

But I don't "hate" people who smoke. I just don't do it and I refuse to date someone who does or room with someone who does in college. But if someone is smoking in public as long as they're outside, I hold my breath and don't say anything.

It just bothers me when people toss cigarettes out their car windows or just drop them on the ground. That's unacceptable. Do what you want to your body, but don't throw your trash on the ground.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Makuahine

Ban outdoor smoking? Really?

Even if you hate smoking do you really want the government to have that kind of power?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
"...and now that they're 6 bucks a pack, they're becoming a status symbol. I'm noticing people showing them off everywhere, aren't you? What happened to being ashamed?"

What in this nation isn't being played with the D&C card?

Yippee.

I wonder what else is going on...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine

What is the fixation on "divide and conquer"? I'm not sure what you think could possibly be gained by dividing smokers and non-smokers. Who in your opinion is perpetrating this "divide and conquer" plan? The government? If it were up to the government agencies, I'm sure they'd want the population to continue smoking because there is a great deal of revenue to be gained via all the taxes. So who's going to be conquered? a bunch of nicotine addicted people? and then what they'll be rounded up and forced to live in smoker's internment camps? To what end?

By instigating fighting amongst the peons, a number of goals can be reached. First, it creates animosity which keeps people from joining together. Second, it allows for draconian laws (which take from the precedence of the initial anti-freedom laws) to be pushed through. Third, it actually promotes the issues in a back-handed way, thus accomplishing more than it would if they endorsed it straight up. Fourth, it distracts from the real issues.

So... Who's to be conquered? Humanity, by way of setting precedent for more intrusive "laws."

I am not a smoker and truthfully, I don't give much thought to all the ads about the effects of second hand smoke. What I do know is that cigarette smoke stinks and I don't like it. As soon as I am forced to smell it, I get a headache and my contact lenses start hurting my eyes. I would like to see it banned in all outdoor areas. I cannot stand it when I have my windows open in my home and one of the neighbors goes outside to smoke. I am forced to close all my windows or else my home is filled up with the stinky aroma of tobacco. I wish smokers would smoke inside their own homes and stop smoking outside.

[shrug] So you have an option. Close your windows. Or... You could NICELY ask that your neighbor move a number of feet away...

And so you would rather have smokers at work smoke inside? Or are you going to strip them of their rights to smoke at all while spending 8+ hours at work? And you would rather they smoke with their families (and that includes children) being subjected to the concentrated smoke indoors?

Dear, you have a solution. Close your windows. I offered another option. But to strip us of the right to at least smoke outdoors is compassionless and vile.

[edit on 5/23/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagnar
"...and now that they're 6 bucks a pack, they're becoming a status symbol. I'm noticing people showing them off everywhere, aren't you? What happened to being ashamed?"

What in this nation isn't being played with the D&C card?

Yippee.

I wonder what else is going on...

Good point about what isn't being played with the divide-and-conquer card.

I guess I am just aghast that we never address a far more pervasive and likely far worse problem of having to inhale exhaust, yet rob rights over this (mostly) non-issue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join