It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ways to get people to listen to talk about ufos without them thinking you are crazy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Alright I have to ask this because what I'm saying to people is never enough to get them to even consider it really, some nod their heads and actually listen but still let it be known they think I sound crazy or something talking about the subject or looking at the sky everynight hoping to see something.

I'm asking for ways people have convinced people, or gotten them to listen without thinking you're completely crazy, they know whether it be family, friends, random people or whoever what your argument was or what you used to make it seem less like a nutcase subject and more like something that can be listened to.

I try to tell my mom all the time we're getting closer to UFO disclosure and such and all she has to say is lay off the drugs. I'm sure lots of others get this so maybe it'll give others a good sensible argument to throw out there as well.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I don't think there is anything you can say that will make things any different on that count. Heck, I believe but still think a lot of the UFO folks are crazy.

If someone's not ready to believe in the idea of UFOs/aliens, don't try to convince them. It just won't work.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I would say the first step is lay off the disclosure nonsense. If you have followed the UFO phenomenon for any time, you will see that this supposed disclosure has been coming soon...for the past fifty years.

Do not behave as if the person you are talking to is ignorant. Do not insult them, call them blind, naive, brainwashed and so-forth. UFO believers take on a presumption of arrogance sometimes, as if they have every single answer and there is no room for debate; they can behave as the worst sort of religious fundamentalist.

Do not rely on speculation; do not draw any conclusions that are not supported by the facts. No grand leaps of logic. For example, don't start telling them how the latest TV show or movie that happens to have an alien is proof the government is preparing us for "disclosure." Do not confuse speculation for fact.

Do not rely on special pleading. For example, never tell someone there is no evidence because the government is covering it up therefore proving there is evidence. And don't claim a skeptic is a government-disinformant.

Rely just on cold, hard facts.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The disclosure nonsense is an easy way of telling her there has got to be something to it.

Trying to tell her of famous ufo sightings or nasa footage or anything that is actually worthy of hearing about UFOs would be when I've already gotten past the baby steps with her.

All I tell is facts by the way I don't like the idea of looking dumb speaking of something I wasn't sure of and being wrong haha.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by seangkt
The disclosure nonsense is an easy way of telling her there has got to be something to it.

I do not understand what you mean by that. How does claiming disclosure is coming, which there is no evidence for, tell you there is something to UFOs?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

If you knew my mom you would know that one way of getting her to start to listen is by letting her know the president, government or mainstream media or something along those lines has mentioned it as a serious subject.

I've tried to go in depth with many other facts, tried to tell her about videos and show her some, and even tried to tell her of ufo sightings but I used the disclosure thing as example due to the fact it's what everyone is waiting for right now and is the big thing in the UFO community at this moment and it was easy just for a small example.

The disclosure thing is something I've only mentioned to her once or twice but definetly not the only thing.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by seangkt
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

If you knew my mom you would know that one way of getting her to start to listen is by letting her know the president, government or mainstream media or something along those lines has mentioned it as a serious subject.

Show her some of the quotes made by prominent individuals

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ha, funny thread timing ... Yesterday I found a cool graphic of a giant ship descending out of these beautiful clouds and a gorgeous rainbow. It was so neat I copied it and printed out a couple copies on my work copier.
Well, I got busy and ended up leaving work without picking up my ufo pic.
There's a sure way to get your entire work place thinking you are looney tunes crazy!

I think most people have to come to the conclusion on their own. It's a sort of fear they have, and a mental block to protect themselves.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blujay

HAHA. I could imagine showing up to work after something like that happening and hearing a good weeks worth of jokes. Probably walk into the office to find the picture framed on the wall with a list of jokes.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

try this:
Have you seen all of those awesome pictures they have been getting with the Hubble Telescope? They have panoramic views of billions of galaxies! With all of those pictures they are taking I am finding it harder and harder to believe we can actually be alone in this HUGE universe!

Give them a chance to chime in about how they view the information; then ask them for their opinion on how we can possibly be alone with all of those places where various life forms can be alive and well. Could they be like us you think? etc etc etc... give people a chance to inject their opinion and the conversation will go MUCH better!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Show her some of the quotes made by prominent individuals

But do not fall in to the trap of an appeal to authority or hero-worship. Prominent individuals they may be, but remember they are every bit as human as the rest of us. And for every prominent person that produces such a quote there is someone else saying the opposite.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have talked of this subject with many people - friends and family and even strangers. Maybe I just have the right personality that I can talk to anyone about anything. I'm very outgoing and have no problems voicing my opinion or talking on any subject.

I have never been given odd looks or told I'm crazy or had crazy thoughts. I have had great convos with people and seemed to have even sparked interest and thoughts on their part.

I don't present photos and videos (I think 99% are crap - misunderstood, poor quality, etc). I usually just ask innocent questions and say something like "what do you think about life outside of Earth? With the Universe being so huge and undiscovered, do you think it is possible that there is life out there? Do you think intelligent life outside of Earth could visit us?

I think the key is to ask questions as if you are searching too and NOT preach to them your belief. Your belief is not necessarily truth. Your = general. When you ask questions, you are putting the ball in their court and opening up their mind to ponder on the subject. Allowing further discussion. When you preach, you are forcing your beliefs onto another person - and I really do not know anyone who likes this. It usually causes people to shut down and close their minds.

And if someone answers any of the questions that are different then your belief - the key is to not say they are wrong or make them feel stupid. Probably best to end it at that - but I can promise asking questions and not preaching will put thoughts in their head and they will ponder on it later. If they show further interest. I would never show YouTube vids or most of the pictures posted here. I would look for the threads that are usually of much older cases that contain valuable evidence such as radar, etc.

I feel this way about the topic of religion too. I think too many times people resort to preaching and coming across as "Im right, only I know the truth and your wrong". Not the best approach on these subjects.

And this is all just my lil' opinion.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 5/23/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
Have you seen all of those awesome pictures they have been getting with the Hubble Telescope? They have panoramic views of billions of galaxies! With all of those pictures they are taking I am finding it harder and harder to believe we can actually be alone in this HUGE universe!

All these pictures prove is there are beautiful sights across the universe. Just because there may be life out-there somewhere, it does not mean it is coming here. Do not fall into that fallacy of thinking.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hey....I'm new to this side (usually only on the just New World Order side)

I have developed a fascination for the alien/ufo theory!!!

My older brother used to discuss this with me a lot and I thought something was wrong with him...but in devulging deeper and deeper into the NWO concept along with the religion myth concept, one is going to want to know about the origin of all things period...

People , I find, that are not even opened to the NWO concept and the religion (is based on) myths constructed for psychological control, are really not into discovering truths about alien theories...and definately will not fathom the thought whether or not we have alien ancestry...

There is this guy that i'm cool with and he called me a few mins ago; unbeknowest to me, all I was interested in talking about was what his idea on what he thought was 'out there'. I decided to begin with, "So do you think the moon is really just a dark empty place?" Then later "Why would the government spend so much money going back and forth up there if nothing was up there?"

So again, being new on this side, I look to you all for support and encouragement....welcome me aboard!!!

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Butter Cookie]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Star for your post !!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
In short my advice is:

Just be confident. Who cares what they think?
If you want to talk about a harmless subject like Ufology then by all means go ahead.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

Yea, I am banking on it being taped to my computer screen when I show up on Tuesday... they aren't a real humorous bunch, unfortunately, so I'll just get the strange looks and whispers behind my back!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Pretty much impossible,ive printed out information from the best of the best cases with FOIA military documents and everything and i still get no further than an eye roll.People who are not so used to such things just assume your crazy from the get go

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Tell them you are writing a book,people love to hear that,you might get famous,they'll listen for hours.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Most people I discuss UFO's with accept the information for what it's worth. Thankfully my friends and the general people I meet understand I'm a no nonsense kind of person.

I also stay away from the fringe aspects such as reptilians, hybrid babies, Angels, Demons (religious standpoints) and so on. Limit their exposure to the aspects of the phenomena with the highest probability of possibility.

For those with doubts, I simply tell them that reality isn't limited to our knowledge or imagination, that we probably aren't the galactic benchmark and draw parallels to the historical mistakes/blunders we've made such as the flat earth and the sun revolving around the earth theories... "It's in our nature to be ignorant and ego centric as a species".

Then, I'll lend them my copy of "Out Of The Blue".

IRM

<<   2 >>

join