It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy warships dispatched as the Spanish invade seas around Gibraltar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Navy warships dispatched as the Spanish invade seas around Gibraltar

www.dailymail.co.uk

Royal Navy warships have forced heavily armed Spanish ships to retreat from British waters around Gibraltar.
Relations between the 30,000 residents of the British outpost and mainland Spain have become strained following what the Foreign Office described as 'a violation of British sovereignty'.
The warships were dispatched after Spanish ships sent boarding parties to inspect fishing boats in British waters, despite having no authority to do so.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is my first time starting a thread, sorry if its wrong in anyway. I also have not seen this on here yet, sorry if i missed.
I do think its important and quite serious.

I know people don't really like the daily mail, but it does not make it untrue.

Some people have made interestion comments about The Faulklands and other UK dependancies.

Two EU members faceing off against each other? one wonders.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I did a google news search on this, and really I could only find the story in the Mail and the Express.

I would like to see it picked up by say Reuters of something before I give thaat too much credit.

I can remember being told that us Brits invaded Spain once... By accident!

The Daily Mail is defiantly not a reliable unbiased source for news... Good to read for a laugh though.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yeah.

Have to admit that i have been searching for this on Google. Nothing on the BBC, Times or Gardian.

Ive even tryed a 'spanish news in englsih' website, and saw nothing there. Oh well, just thought id bring it to everyones atention.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stoo82
Oh well, just thought id bring it to everyones atention.

Well that's really what ATS is about... very interesting - this post is kind of a bump because I would like to follow this one.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stoo82

I found the following news article to backup your thread:

www.costa-news.com...

This is from a mainstream newspaper coming out of Spain, translated in English.

Just trying to help the cause

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Didn't this happen in 1712??? Oh wait, this was recent. Sorry I thought it was a History Channel rerun advertisement. You'd think after all these years that it was a given that Gibraltar was British and the Spanish would leave the tiny place alone. Looks like they have poured to much testosterone in the Spanish water again!! All those poor Spanish beauties will start growing mustaches now!!
Zindo

[edit on 5/23/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Spanish fisheries protection vessel - described as a corvette
From stoo82's link

So a cheeky jab in the ribs as opposed to a punch in the face?

And why not? I'm sure it's a 'learning exercise' for both parties.

edit: spelt ribs wrong

[edit on 23/5/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, war with Spain would certainly put an end to the Lisburn Treaty. In fact, the production of materials would effectively provide economic growth in the UK

Plus, Spain has a significant British population - so a colonial army is already in place!

Whose with me

Seriously though, apparently many Spanish criminals operate out of Gibraltar, which Spain has no legal authority over (since the people rejected the notion in a referendum back in 1999?)

I'd be more surprised by the fact we have a navy, not Spain invading our waters.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Fishing rights are serious business and a serious part of the Treaties that establish peace between governments and recognition of governments.

With the economy in the doldrums around the world it's safe to say commercial fishermen are feeling the pinch and the pressure to bring catches to market just as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

This is the kind of thing even the best of friends amongst nations do and will fight about, violently if need be.

new topics

top topics

join