It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Fault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Does anyone have any info relating to a fault running around the moon like an equator? A friend is gathering information for a book.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The moon has a fault running around it?!

What crazy idea's will those nasa type's come up with next ...

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
he thinks perhaps the moon was once in two parts and then it came back together.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I dont know anything about a bisecting fault on the moon, and kind of doubt that any fault would completely bisect, or nearly bisect an orbital body. Although it wouldnt fly in half, it would make the body structurally unstable.

We do know that the moon is seismically active, although at a much lower level than seen on the Earth.

I kind of find it hard to believe that any kind of fault would exist to any great depth on the moon, although due to its lower gravity, I suppose faults could penetrate deeper than they do here on earth. Here, faults rarely penetrate more than a couple of kilometers below the surface, if that. Even the great Rift Valley in Africa only penetrates about 2-3 kilometers at its deepest point. The reason for this is that as depth increases, so does pressure and heat, to the point that rocks loose any rigidity and essentially becomes a homogenious plastic mass, void of any kind of organized structure. *Note, we have recently found evidence of some kind of organized structures between 400 and 600 km deep, which totally blows all our structural models.*

Before someone brings it up, yes, deep sea trenches are deeper than the depths I am quoting. However, these exist in subduction zones, where one plate rides over another, and pushes it down into the mantel.

Where all this is leading to back to the moon is that even with its low gravity, I believe the inner regions of the moon to be plastic enough to prevent deep penetration/wide lateral extent of a single fault.

Hope that helps somewhat!

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Clicky Here

Tell your friend to look here xaos! Lots of into about why the moon landings were faked!

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
He's seen most of that stuff already, I don't believe most of it though... I've seen the sites that show the opposite of that stuff so it kinda lost its allure. He wants to find about a time when the moon supposedly split, something mentioned in Islamic lore.

XAOS

top topics

join