It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope 2.0: Vatican launches Internet portal with Facebook, iPhone applications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
First, the story:

Web surfers can now send virtual postcards of Pope Benedict XVI to their Facebook friends or follow the pontiff's travel on their iPhones.

Under a papacy that has suffered communication woes, the Vatican is taking new, technologically savvy steps to bring its message to social networking sites and smartphones.

In its first day of operation Thursday, the Pope2You portal gathered some 45,000 contacts and 500,000 page views, while a Facebook application that sends postcards with photos of Benedict and excerpts from his messages was used around 10,000 times, the head of the project said.

Also available on the portal is an application for iPhone and iPod Touch that gives surfers video and audio news on the pope's trips and speeches, as well as on Catholic events worldwide.

The new Web site is the latest update in the Vatican's efforts to broaden the pope's audience and reach out to young people. In January, Benedict got his own YouTube channel, which is now linked to the portal. AP/Newsday

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

See, science/technology and catholicism coexisting, humbug to Angels and Demons.

Why not I suppose ... if Alex Jones is on youtube spreading the "word" the catholic church might as well join him.

Nothing new about this in reality, religions have always used whatever technology is available to market their message. However in the past they attempted to control the technology (see printing press) in order to control knowledge.

Not so on the world wide web, but in the competitive war for information dispersal and branding/image creation, they can hardly afford to stand on the sidelines.

Thus we get get the Pope on Facebook.

Perhaps it is because I do not possess Catholic sensibilities, but there seems to be something highly irreverent about this notion.

Perhaps that's not such a bad thing.

[edit on 23 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Interesting to see this thread start this morning, as whilst reading a book about fishing last night I came across a comment regarding Catholicism that I’d never heard before

“These fish are rather catholic in their feeding, i.e. they’ll take anything at anytime”

IMO the Catholic Church always takes the long view on things, and they can see their following in the western world dwindling, thus the need to appear up to date and cool.

But somehow I don’t see the pope twittering on his mobile or sitting jazzing up his face book profile, people don’t really expect the messages to be coming directly from him, will they?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoswatchinwho
But somehow I don’t see the pope twittering on his mobile or sitting jazzing up his face book profile, people don’t really expect the messages to be coming directly from him, will they?

now that he is on facebook and youtube I can't imagine twitter being far behind.

It's interesting because he has often spoken against the perils of social networking sites:

Pope: You Won't Find God On MySpace

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am willing to bet quite a bit that this announcement was specifically made at about the time of the Angels and Demons movie release...indicating that this is more a Public Relations move then anything.

It also suggests quite strongly that the vatican is aware of how pop culture effects the population and are taking advantage of this to gain/keep their flock.

I wonder if 'faith' is made less sacred when it rides on the coat tails of Tom Hanks...which reminds me of a quote from Tom Hanks from The Simpsons move...which I will adjust for context...

"Hi. My name is Tom Hanks. The Vatican has no credibility so they decided to borrow some of mine..."

lol

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The rise of the Internet makes it clear that times are changing. The old systems are trying to catch up but they know they've already lost.

The Pope? The President? NY Times? Twentieth Century Fox?

Who cares, we have the Internet, by the real people, for the real people.

On a side note: I have no clue why the Vatican condemns "Angels and Demons"...its more of an advertisement for them. If only they'd realize how irrelevant they are becoming to the new generation.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

It also suggests quite strongly that the vatican is aware of how pop culture effects the population and are taking advantage of this to gain/keep their flock.l

I would say so ...

Lately they have been taking a beating over the internet.

Much of religion depends on the mystical and cryptic, the deconstruction on a global interactive level of those past elusive constructs has hurt the church to a considerable degree.

I do not believe that they embrace these vehicles easily or lightly, in fact I am sure that the opposite is true. They are confronted with a battle they would rather not join in, as I said in the OP, this level of interaction doesn't come naturally to them as it puts them on equal footing with the guy in his mother's basement with his own Facebook account.

Yet they are also aware that they cannot simply sit on the sidelines as the world passes them by. That is a lesson learned from many such past miscalculations.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

The rise of the Internet makes it clear that times are changing. The old systems are trying to catch up but they know they've already lost.

Not only that, but these kind of gestures are so transparent to the point of being rather humorous.

Who cares, we have the Internet, by the real people, for the real people.

Information without control and readily available to the populace has always been the enemy of the institutions, be they religious or otherwise.

Joining a couple of social networks ain't gonna change that.

Listen, they want to use these sites to market their product good luck to them, but let's be clear, this is a surrender.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I'm not so sure that they have lost...the religious right is still very influential in today's technological world.

I think it is relevant to note that this ideology has persisted in the face of such rapid advancement within our society. Their are many empirical evidences that the whole religious propagation is meant for social control and not actually based in truth but many people still rabidly hold to the old 'mythologies'...and I don't mean any disrespect to those whom are reading this and hold to the teachings of the Catholic Church...but I do think that there is something in this 'internetifying the pope'...and that is that they are using modern means of communication to keep their foundational social mores and values in the conscious attention of those who are still inclined.

Kind of makes me want to consider the genetic inclination of a person born today to devout Catholics...is there a physiological inclination towards conservative/religious belief?

I could get more in depth on the above concern, rhetorically and hypothetically, but that would be better served for another thread...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I'm not so sure that they have lost...the religious right is still very influential in today's technological world.

True that, but ...

Of the near 80% of Americans who are christian, 24% are Roman catholic. *

And whereas the "religious right" has a high presence on the internet the catholic church, at the direction of the Vatican, has been extremely slow to adopt the medium.

Hence these latest, in my opinion, rather clumsy moves to remedy the above.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

The Internet in its current form only exists since a decade. Watch what it does to the Institutions and the world within 50 years.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I can't wait...but I imagine that faith based institutions will adapt and evolve as well...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Religion is only part of the most basic science idea...trying to find logic to answer something (which IMO is what science is).

Science and religion coexisting? More like religion taking its last breathe of fresh air before its rolled over by futuristic ideology.

new topics

top topics

join