It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WD-40 Miracle Oil :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This product, IMO, is a must for any survivalist BOB.

I’ve used it for starting a fire in a pinch, a squirt to my broad .s to help guard rust, knife cleaning, spraying wasp nests (then light) and on and on. (Don't forget getting bubblegum out of hair - works great.)

If you need one all around great product slash lube (forget Vaseline the useless stuff) there’s WD-40

Any other favorite ideas out there to share - post ‘em!

More great uses here...

[edit on 23-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I have to say I ALWAYS have a can of WD-40 lying around (usually several actually) for those odd jobs that need doing - whether it be getting bubblegum out of hair, using it as a starter spray into a piston, loosening rusty nuts, burning that pesky fly by turning it into a flamethrower......

Great stuff, wouldn't be caught without it.

[edit on 23/5/2009 by Kryties]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Silicon spray is also a good one.

IMO has more uses than WD-40

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

But WD-40 comes with such a neat little plastic straw thingy for getting to those hard-to-reach places!!

Can't beat that

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
good for removing bubblegum from hair eh? the stuff is toxic, its gonna eat away your skin.

do you wash your hands with it too?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Mate Ive been using WD-40 for 20 years and have never ever been sick or had any weird symptoms because of it.

And yes it does a decent job of washing hands if you like having an oily feel to them, much better to use that Orange Soap with the bits of grit in it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
A gunsmith told me that WD-40 uses butane as a propellant and that it will cause rust to form on steel unless wiped of. It is a much better cleaner than lubricant, and old folks swear that it is good for aches and pains of arthritis.... It sure works well to remove bugs and road tar from a cars finish, so does diesel fuel but it doesn't smell good like good old WD-40

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
This junk almost cost me my life once.

Sprayed it on a duty revolver regularly. When requal time came at the range I stepped up and pulled the trigger through, and... two seconds later... hammer goes down slowly... tap and- no boom!

It hardens in air over time.

What if that drawdown had been for real and not on the range?

This stuff oxidizes like frying pan grease or linseed oil paint. Slippery today and hard next month. Keep it away from locks (old locksmith callback trick), fishing reels, guns, or any critical parts.

I do use it to spray the leaf springs on my truck. It's "special properties" keep the rust off longer than non-hardening Break-Free.

Cleaning guns is an art. Think solvent, Hoppes, CLP, Dri-Slide, JB Bore Compund. Keep your stock oil-free.

Give Miracle Oil to your local terrorist. He'll be harmless in no time

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hoppe's No 9 the odor that permeated the old quanset huts at M.C.R.D. an odor an old Marine Knows well. Old 3 in 1 oil was a good lube but dried out like WD-40 also.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
As Chakotay said above, it oxidises in to a microfilm. By the way, Chak, I'm glad you found that out at the range, and not in the course of duty.

It's a good firestarter.

It's a dehydrolizer and cleaner. After it's dried, the lubrication effect becomes sub optimal because of the microfilm.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Toxic?
It didn't bother me or my horses.
I used to use it all the time on my horses before shows.
Leaves the main and tails really glossy and free from snarls.
Gunks up quick (the dust blowing around will stick) after a while...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

I agree you need to wipe it off - not sray and leave it...

Beyond that - what's with the sensationalism? It's the LAST thing gun owners need at this moment in time is another *OH MY GAWD I ALMOST DWIED* over something absurd like this.

This junk almost cost me my life once.

The only way it could have *cost you your life* is if you looked down the barrel to see why the bullet didn't fly out.

No different than a misfiring round, jam, or any other problem on the range.

If you’d been taught to take care of misfires *action* (as every person who carrie a gun for work is taught) then you’d of had no problem at the range...

peace

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

My sister's husband used WD-40 on windows and a sliding glass door and he had to all of the time, due to the way it seems to attract dirt and congeals.....The practice became a ritual for him and it finally built up so thick that the windows and door was almost inoperable and had to be cleaned with a lot of WD-40, a stiff brush and wiped dry. He is now a strong advocate for the use of silicone spray products.... I have used WD-40 on a hood latch on a car and had it build up so much that the latch stuck in the open position and needed to be cleaned with a gasoline soaked rag to get it to free up and hold the hood down. It also attracts moisture and causes rust and corrosion. I would have cleaned it with WD-40 but didn't have any at the time.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
good for removing bubblegum from hair eh? the stuff is toxic, its gonna eat away your skin.

My partner uses it for his knee and his toe, and he swears by it. He still has skin on his knee, and toes.

(he read it was good for joints in some newspaper, and has used it ever since (over 3 years) He swears it actually does relieve the arthritic pain he has.

I'm not joking either.
(every time I saee him spray his legs with WD40, I laugh to myself)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
WD 40 is a solvent not an oil,the name stands for water displacement it will lubricte for a short period,but is no replacement for good old 3 in 1 oil,it's good at removing old paint too

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
WD 40 is amazing. I've learnt many other uses for it thanks to the OP however its pretty expspensive so go easy on it

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Best method for getting stubborn crap (oil et al) off your hands is...

water + soap + sugar.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Originally posted by Chovy

My partner uses it for his knee and his toe, and he swears by it. He still has skin on his knee, and toes.

(he read it was good for joints in some newspaper, and has used it ever since (over 3 years) He swears it actually does relieve the arthritic pain he has.

I'm not joking either.
(every time I saee him spray his legs with WD40, I laugh to myself)

When I did construction worked great for taking tar off my hands and never had any problem with it. Also works great for taking tar off cars. Reason being you spray the tar then wipe it off and don't let it just sit there other wise you could have problems.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I agree that it will turn to varnish after a wile sitting in trigger mechenisms..I had 2 old berretas that stopped firing the second barrel..

I have since found a product that works 100X better..PB BLASTER...

CX

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Why is it people swear by WD40 on thier engines?

I used it all over my mountain bike once, then found out it had stripped the oil and grease off of the bearings, made a right mess of it it did.

It's good stuff, but some people think it's great for anything, which isn't the case.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join