It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

39% Say U.S. Legal System Too Worried About Individual Rights Over National Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

In the tension between individual rights and national security, 39% of voters nationwide now believe that our legal system worries too much about protecting individual rights.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 24% believe our legal system worries too much about national security and 25% say the balance is about right.
source

This is what is wrong with the country. People have been brainwashed into thinking that the government knows best and that their security is more valuable than their liberty. What has happened in this country? Those figures are frightening. 39% of voters think safety is more important than freedom. I'm going to stop before i start ranting, but think about that for a while, and think about this:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

TA

[edit on 23-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well good -
Only 61% to go.
We'll get there.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So 61 percent would rather give their rights away to be safe.

Uh oh...looks like it's time to post that Benjamin Franklin quote again....

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So basically, 24% get it right, 25% don't know what's going on and 39% are totally unamerican trash who should go live in Saudi Arabia, China or North Korea.

Seriously, the propaganda have it's effect over a long period of time... and it's gonna be worse with the coming generation who have been brainwashed in school since 9/11 that terrorists are everywhere.

Even my brother generation, he was born in 90, so he's in college, at one discussion he had in class, I gave him the idea to start a debate on conscription, if it's good or not, should it be passed into law... that was a few weeks ago when they passed the GIVE act and want to pass HR1444.

And most of his class were FOR conscription... Our society is really, REALLY SICK. Conscription or torture, or preventive detention, it's the same thing, it's a product to sell, and they are selling it good.

And now with the paramilitary training in the boyscouts... this is kicking into high gear.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Given that the whole "national security" issue was manufactured EXACTLY to propel people into thinking they need to give up their rights (and the rights of others!), via hype and 9/11, I can understand these poor deluded souls feeling this way.

May the rest of us stand up to the threat from our own citizens who would give up liberty for the illusion of security.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'm still furious about this. There mere fact that this poll was taken indicates just how endangered our freedoms are. I just don't understand what kind of moral code allows someone to say safety is more important than liberty. It just doesn't make sense to me.

May the rest of us stand up to the threat from our own citizens who would give up liberty for the illusion of security.

I wish they would release the names and addresses of that 39%

TA

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
S&F

Sheeple falling in line for the slaughter.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
And this from the country that people take such pride in as "the land of the free".

Unbrainwashed Americans have my sympathies, having to contend with this eager leaping of their compatriots toward Fascism.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Safety, like hope is strictly a concept, that does not exist in the real world

from Wikipedia

"Safety is the state of being "safe" (from French sauf), the condition of being protected against physical, social, spiritual, financial, political, emotional, occupational, psychological, educational or other types or consequences of failure, damage, error, accidents, harm or any other event which could be considered non-desirable. This can take the form of being protected from the event or from exposure to something that causes health or economical losses. It can include protection of people or of possessions."

of course the same can be said for freedom in the political sense versus freedom as the philosophical concept

from wikipedia - political freedom

"Political freedom is the absence of interference with the sovereignty of an individual by the use of coercion or aggression. The members of a free society would have full dominion over their public and private lives. The opposite of a free society would be a totalitarian state, which highly restricts political freedom in order to regulate almost every aspect of behavior. In this sense ‘freedom’ refers solely to the relation of humans to other humans, and the only infringement on it is coercion by humans."

So , we are left to consider who are the groups that claim the can either take away or defend our concept of freedom or security. How can a group or individual claim freedom or security, when they both describe a fluctuating state of relationships between humans

It it wise to look at the source of these offers before proceeding with any actions

new topics

top topics

join