It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Fuel-Efficient Cow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Introducing the Fuel-Efficient Cow

dsc.discovery.com

The man behind the effort is Stephen Moore, a agriculture research scientist from the University of Alberta. Moore is greening cattle in two ways, by modifying the food cows eat, and by modifying the cattle themselves.
By selectively breeding cows that are more fuel-efficient, Moore has created a line of cattle that produce 25 percent less methane than the average bovine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Although genetic engineering makes me cringe, if this has no harmful effects on cows it could be very beneficial to our planet. It uses less resources to provide the food for cows. This could reduce costs for farmers, and also preserve grasses used for grazing.

And because the bacteria inside the cows produce less methane, as long as the cows can remain healthy, it could help protect the very environment that they rely on.

The best part is that the farmers who reduce their CO2 emissions can sell their carbon credits to oil industry companies and other companies that produce greenhouse gases. This may encourage more local fossil fuel harvesting and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. If it works in Canada, maybe it can work here.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Is no one interested in fuel-efficient cows? I must say that I'm a tad surprised.

Would anyone buy one of these? I totally would if I were a farmer.

join