It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Now Audible, Study Says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
People always joke about global warming. They say, "Oh, good, I will be warmer" and they say "It is not happening because it is so cold" but I believe that it is happening, and I am so sorry for the polar bears, the penguins, and whatever other species live in the cold.

I am also sorry for humans, but that came second, I am sorry to say.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

I feel the same way. I also feel sorry for the people living on islands in the South Pacific that are being swallowed by rising sea levels. We think it doesn't affect us. The truth is that it just doesn't affect the people who don't care about it.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Who are these islanders who are getting put out by rising sea levels?? If you are talking about the guys mentioned in "An Inconvenient 'nine major flaws' Truth", then I'm sorry to say that it was an absolute lie. Gore said that thousands of pacific islanders were forced to 'flee' to NZ, due to rising sea levels. I live here and I can assure you the majority of islanders are here for family and/or work, and rising sea levels had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Many pacific islands have recorded rises and drops in sea level, mostly due to changes in the geogrophy, the islands themselves are sinking and rising. Theres a lot of ecogical disasters that are far, far, far more important than island sea levels.

The polar bears are doing just fine for now. Polar bears ARE NOT being considerably affected right now. That was another of Gore's fabrications. Four bears drowned in a storm is twisted by Gore, saying that polar bears are 'drowning in significant numbers'. Now is 4 polar bears considered 'significant' compared to polar bear populations? Considering that most studies say that populations are unchanged.

What's wrong with the penguins? Last I saw they were doing just fine.

Don't be fooled by members of the 'green' movement, promoting alarmism for personal gain. Why do you think their major 'remedial' action is cap and trade on co2?! The element that plants(therefore, us too!) rely on to survive! What about all the other problems which are readily accepted, where action could see benifits right now?

The sad fact is, a few people are using global warming (now climate change) to further their agenda, make profit and gain more control.
I'm not saying that we can go on polluting like we are, but just be aware that there is a lot of hype (and even more money) in 'global warming'.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Curious and Concerned]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

I'm not talking about "An Inconvenient Truth."
1. www.safecom.org.au...
2. kauaian.net...
3. www1.american.edu...

I'm also not talking about penguins. I'm talking about animals that live primarily in the arctic. Where penguins don't live.
1. www.polarbearsinternational.org...
and www.worldwildlife.org...
and the fact that polar bear average body weight is in the decline, no matter what source you look at.
2. www.panda.org.../Climate-change-likely-culprit-as-arctic-fox-faces-extinction
3. www.cdnn.info...

I don't call it global warming, I call it climate change. It's due to pollution, carbon emissions, deforestation, and other factors. They all play a part. It's not just one thing, and it doesn't just have one effect (like warming), it has many.

But if you're convinced, I can't change your mind. I value my environment and if you don't think there's a problem with it, you don't have to see one.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Change my mind about what? I just said that there are much more important issues than islands slowly sinking and rising sea levels. Deforestation, pharmeceutical drugs in water supplies, intensive fertilization wreaking havoc with natural eco systems, the decline in natural crop variation, urbanisation increasing water run off causing more flooding etc. I don't deny that there are many problems that we are causing. (btw, the penguins bit was aimed more at spellbounds post, which you agreed with. And I realise that penguins are not in the arctic, hence the question
)

The point I am trying to make is that AGW is hyped beyond what the evidence suggests. For instance, the islands you referenced that are sinking, yet climate change is being blamed on these situations. Sea levels have been rising since the last ice age, yeah? Yet there is no indication that sea levels have increased more rapidly due to AGW.
Sea level variation is natural?
Analysis of the TOPEX sea level record

Now lets look at what is in your article about the Arctic fox.

The arctic fox, a smaller cousin of the red fox, was one of the first mammals to colonise Sweden and Finland at the end of the Ice Age. As the ice retreated it remained in the mountain tundra areas. High hunting pressure led to a drastic population decline in the early 1900's, from about ten thousand to less than one hundred individuals.
Although it faces local extinction, the arctic fox is not considered endangered in other parts of its arctic range.

(emphasis in bold by me.)

See what I mean about the hype surrounding AGW? And Al Gore would have you believe that paying carbon taxes will fix all these problems.

As far as Polar Bears are concerned, the loss of their habitat is unfortunate, but there is very little evidence to show that humans have contributed to that (we are warming from an ice age, remember?). You know WWF are going to take the 'worst case scenario' stance to try and gain further support.
East Arctic Polar Bear Levels Increasing The biologist Mitchell Taylor believes populations are increasing. So do the local Inuit hunters.

You see, I value my environment as well. I'm an avid surfer and snowboarder and love getting out and enjoying the environment that I am fortunate to have.

But that doesn't mean I have to blindly believe everything I hear regarding the threat to our environment. I know that there are corrupt people in this world who intend to prey on the people with good, honest intentions. If you are really interested in our environment, it would pay to look past the hype, to see the real problems facing us, and not be fooled by profiteers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join