It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My entire post deleted!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well I just started a new thread, with my post taking about 10 minutes to type, just to find out that when I clicked post, a message comes up saying the thread title already exists and to use the back button to change the title. So I press the back button and all of the text is gone!

This should be fixed.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by bl4ke360]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

It happens every once in a while and it's not necessarily ATS related.

A lot of folks when they are composing long posts use a text editor on their computer and then copy/paste into the reply box.

It's a lesson we all learned the hard way.

[edit on 22 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I have learned to always copy and save my post before I click that button.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Microsoft Word my friend............

I too have learned the hard way..

You'll be alright though.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That's one of those mistakes we usually make only once. Save it to your clipboard or in an editor before you submit it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That was a problem that I did not have at the beginning, because I wrote my posts in Word because of the spell and grammar tools.

When I started using Opera with a spell-checker and when I got used to write in English I stopped using Word for my posts, and Opera has the added benefit of having a back button that really goes back, without refreshing the page.

This problem is probably related to the irritating problem of the edit: when we edit a post, if we use the preview, the edit is lost and the post returns to its original form, so, once more, Copy & Paste are your friends.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Yeah I know the feeling buddy. I cant tell you how many times that has happened to me before. Now I just open Microsoft word and edit the post there then cut and paste it into the field. There really isn't anything more frustrating to somebody than when that happens. I have had whole well thought out parts of a post that never made it to a post of mine because I couldn't remember what I had typed out before.

Copy and Paste/Microsoft word.

Sometimes I'll save the "edit Word Document" just to be sure.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I know < I Know,

Same thing happened to me in the Paranormal Studies forum. I did exceed 6500 characters and hit my backspace button to clear up some space...

Did I do too much

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Yeah, don't take this personal. I always use word for my threads and even some lenghty post replies.

Sometime, during a blue moon perhaps, one of your threads may be deleted...on purpose! Heh, don't take this personal either. Staff is awesome about communicating. The only time it has happened to me, I posted a thread unknowing a rule change to the T&C had taken place. I was sent a general type of U2U and I simply inquired to a moderator. I recieved a quicker then expected reply and question answered. ATS mods rock!

See you on the boards!

Edit to add: Hope you are going to still rethread!

[edit on 5/22/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
LOL, it just happened to me after I cleared my cache! LOL...........Good thing it wasn't too long.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It's not your browser. It's ATS related.

It's cause ATS uses expired headers, forms which are blank by default, or do something with java to cause it to blank out. I post lengthy messages on another web site, and if I accidentally do the wrong mouse gesture to go back, I can go forward again and my huge post will still be there.

If you have firefox, you can get this extension which recovers forms from websites that default clear them out:

addons.mozilla.org...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illuminatus I
If you have firefox, you can get this extension which recovers forms from websites that default clear them out:

addons.mozilla.org...

That looks like a solid solution though I'm concerned because it seems a bit like a key logger...guess technically that's exactly what it is. It does say text is stored on your computer and you have an option to encrypt so....I'm on the fence but am really tempted to give it a try.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Or another way around that is to use Microsoft Word or a similar program.

Hey, I am just throwing ideas out here!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Pretty much everyone has said what I would say here.

Utilize Microsoft Word, or even Word Perfect, so as to make sure you have your writing saved for your own reading, spell-check, and as well, if you're a good enough writer, you might submit them elsewhere contributing to ATS as the inspiration.

You can as well utilize the print option to take a look at them and formulate your thoughts while away from your computer.

I have an exterior hard-drive, five computers, and two thumb-drives, to play around with what I do, edit it, and as well back it all up.

Then again, I have lost three computers to lightning in the past seeing as Florida is the lightning capital of the United States.

Yes, I used surge protectors. They don't work if you are hit directly, at all.

You can as well save all your pictures in Microsoft Word and upload them to ATS Media from any file.

In other words, back-up, back-up, back-up.

And a word for the wise, you can memorize the BB code and enter that into your documents on Microsoft Word or Word Perfect as well.

Make sure this never becomes you though.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Utilize Microsoft Word, or even Word Perfect, so as to make sure you have your writing saved for your own reading, spell-check, and as well, if you're a good enough writer, you might submit them elsewhere contributing to ATS as the inspiration.

Yea, I always use the spelling and grammar check)finds most typos too) on word, then double check with google spell check right before posting. Also when you bullet on word it also automatically transfers to ATS BB code.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

yeah that may very well be the best solution....one I've used for years but dang it, I was excited to see other options.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
reply to post by jkrog08

yeah that may very well be the best solution....one I've used for years but dang it, I was excited to see other options.

Not a problem friend, always good to explore alternate solutions,lol. Heck it is Friday night, why not bring some excitement right?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

You should be BANNED for that video SKL,lol (just playing). But on topic so I fon't waste space........ I think I had my posts or threads deleted MANY times by accident. Like Slayer said, there is so many things I meant to say that I didn't because the "mishap" while posting,lol. We will call those the "Lost Chronicles of jkrog08",lol. I think some were better off not getting posted however! Also lucky for me this learning curve happened before I started making 30,000 character plus threads!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Yes, I used surge protectors. They don't work if you are hit directly, at all.

Yikes!
You have been hit directly THREE TIMES? I would recommend a faraday cage around your house... keeps burglars out two

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You obviously didn't see this thread of mine, did you?

Build Your Own Faraday Cage, Stop Nosey Listeners, and Survive

Back to the topic at hand. Backing up your information is important.

Otherwise, you will go mad trying to formulate your words again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join