It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama vows not to send people to war without cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
my.earthlink.net.../4a162340_3ca6_155262009052242043624

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - President Barack Obama promised graduating midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy on Friday that, as their commander in chief, he will only send them "into harm's way when it is absolutely necessary." In his first address to military graduates, Obama also pledged to invest in the men and women who defend America's liberty, not just in the weapons they would take with them into battle against 21st century threats.

"I will only send you into harm's way when it is absolutely necessary, and with the strategy, the well-defined goals, the equipment and the support that you need to get the job done," the president told more than 1,000 graduates during a sun-splashed ceremony at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

"Absolutely necessary" To me this still leaves the door wide open for military involvement.

Does this mean, "only if attacked" "threatened" "insulted"?

However I do applaud Obama's support of "well-defined goals" perhaps this includes an exit strategy; unlike his predecessor.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
yeah....whatever....necessary according to whom? oh yeah, that guy...i guess it was absolutle necessary to forget the whole 'get our troops out of Iraq' thing...barf. I bet they clapped like they really believed him.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Are there still people out there that believe anything Mr. Obama says?

He can always blame his teleprompter for making him say it, if he needs an out.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Are there still people out there that believe anything Mr. Obama says?

Probably the same amount of people that believe what Bush and Cheney said.

I can't wait till we go to war with Iran.

I mean, Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan just aren't enough in my book...hell let's go after Syria as well right?

What about Saudi Arabia? The WTC terrorists came from there...so let's go bomb their asses too right?

Oh wait we can't...too much oil coming from there.

Who else is there we can attack?

Let's continue to spread the American Empire in the name of Freedom!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
it's called conditioning,

we wont send unless there is cause, the people get a false sense of hope. "he wont send troops to war" which means he wont "start" a war without cause..

but when said "cause" happens then it would be okay to send people to war because the "cause" happened. and people would be more okay with that. then if out of the blue something happened,

or he just sent more troops to Afghanistan

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The word "cause" is subjective ...as in...
a cause according to who?

[edit on 22-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I thought Obama was going to pull the troops out within the first 100 days in office? Wait, I forgot, that was one of the many promises on troop withdrawl wasn't it? It's funny, the man wouldn't shut up about trashing the war and pulling the troops out, it took what five days in office to talk about increasing the troops sent to either country. I knew he was full of it, he is a politician after all, and he's full of it here. I wonder if his followers still think he's the hottest thing since sun burn. I'm curious what his so called popularity will be in about a year or so.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
A President or leader of any nation would be ridiculed if they completely ruled out the possibility of War. He's added a caveat that would be implied even if not voiced. What else could he do?

There hasn't been a President since Grover Cleveland (1880s) who wasn't involved in a War, armed conflict or occupation of foreign territory. The chances of Obama avoiding further conflict and a need to send troops to war is slightly above zero (I'm an optimist
).

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
yeah....whatever....necessary according to whom?

Ditto what KSPigpen said.

Sounds like he's already running for office for 2012.

Another campaign promise .. more rhetoric.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Here Obama is trying to get a pat on the back again for saying nothing of worth, but I'm sure the MSM will give it to him.

new topics

top topics

join