It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McKinney school board approves random drug testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

McKinney school board approves random drug testing

www.dallasnews.com

No matter if you run pass routes, tote a tuba or anchor the debate team, if you're a McKinney public school student you may be tested for drugs next school year.

Trustees of McKinney ISD voted Monday night to begin random drug testing of students from seventh through 12th grades who participate in extracurricular activities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is insane. Right now, it's just students who participate in extracurricular activities, but soon enough it will be all students. This sort of "let me handle your kids" legislation is raising both a generation of kids who would rather let the government do their thinking for them and a slew of parents who are anything but. Removing responsibility from the job of parenting is not helping, it's just making parents irresponsible.

TA

www.dallasnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I've heard about a lot of school districts in the Dallas/Fort Worth area wanting to do that for the past few years. I went to school outside of Fort Worth, and the two years I was in marching band there they talked about wanting to randomly test kids in marching band for any type of drug, be it illegal or something like steroids.

I'm really not surprised. I guess I'm just so used to the random locker checks and the drug dogs walking all over the place (be it the halls or next to every single car in the parking lot) that this type of thing doesn't phase me.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Should random drug testing also be for the administration and teachers?

I find it astonishing that the students are targeted for their off campus behavior but the so called "educators" expect preferential treatment and privacy.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I find it astonishing that the students are targeted for their off campus behavior but the so called "educators" expect preferential treatment and privacy.
Had to quote you there.
Performance standards are standards by any measure. If the kids must live up to them, so must the faculty. One cannot teach virtue without living the virtue.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, were we not in the shape we are in (the country and the world), what with the NWO, government trying to control our kids and all aspects of our lives, i could go for this idea.
It would certainly be a deterrent to students/kids to stay away from drugs.

But since we are talking about it now, i would say the government needs to get their noses out of our lives PERIOD.

I cant agree with anything this government does. Theres always an agenda

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

the government needs to get their noses out of our lives PERIOD.

Couldn't have said it better. The government has some say in nearly every facet of our lives, and it's time for them to start minding their own business. They can't keep their own house clean but they want to play nanny in everyone else's.

TA

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They've done studies on things like this before and what it does is give kids that are kind of on the fence, the reason to say no.

I read one study where the drug testing was to be done on athletes. This is the study that pointed out that this gives the kids one more thing to help them say no.

"Sorry man I can't toke up, I' m on the ________team"

Personally, I think that drugs should be legal and rather than have a high cost "War on Drugs " that just holds up the price of drugs, we should spend the money on free treatment for those who want to quit using.

I do not support drug use!

Now, I'm going to have a glass of wine.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

That's a great point. If you are going to test the students you need to test the faculty as well AND the superintendent AND the administrative staff.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The problem I have with urine drug testing is that the risks are never, ever fully disclosed. The school system and most businesses use urinalysis for one reason and one reason only - it's cheap. AND you get what you pay for in this case. The number of false positives and false adulteration results is way higher than the alternatives and the impact of these on the person is devastating. About 1 in 100,000 are false positives or false adulteration results. That's per lab, not school or business. How many drug tests do you think labs process per day? There are alternatives (i.e. hair follicle testing) that are much better (can't be adulterated, test for longer periods, etc...) and much more dependable but cost about 1/3 more per test.

I agree that some students will benefit from having this excuse to not do drugs but what about the ones who are falsely accused and labeled as drug users in this process? Do you want that 1 in 100,000th person to be your son or daughter? I don't.

new topics

top topics

join