It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before saying its torture

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
But then again...you make up meanings for words yourself so why bother right?

Yeah, you got it all figured out.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

The way they behead someone is not instantaneous. Therefore, the one beheaded dies a very painful death.

That's torture...i agree...torture resulting in death. I was going off the words typed which is why i responded with what i did.

Anything can be torture...it all depends in the manner it is done...if you go by the definition.

I think people may be getting torture confused with pure brutality. Brutality is torture...but torture is not always brutality.

bru⋅tal⋅i⋅ty  [broo-tal-i-tee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties.
1. the quality of being brutal; cruelty; savagery.
2. a brutal act or practice.

Bru*tal"i*ty\, n.; pl. Brutalities. [Cf. F. brutalit['e].]
1. The quality of being brutal; inhumanity; savageness; pitilessness.
2. An inhuman act.
The . . . brutalities exercised in war. --Brougham.
dictionary.reference.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

Originally posted by its bologna

Someone could fully recover after losing fingers too..

Um...no because you would be missing fingers. Fingers are essential in doing just about any task.

Water-boarding is not torture....just because it causes an undesired drowning sensation, after all this is an interrogation technique and isn't meant to be pleasant. I don't see how it could be regarded in the same manner as other forms of torture where people are severely injured or maimed after just one session.

Water boarding is used as a torture technique because it doesn't leave any marks. You really should try it...you won't die, but you may end up with brain damage...but you might be able to recover from that.

Yes, it does cause brain damage. It was even in the torture memos.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Yeah but its not up to you to determine what the definition of torture is.

Yes it is.

I'm pretty sure the people who wrote international law 60 years ago had a better idea of what torture was than some armchair-general

Then I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

If you cannot decide for yourself what is and is not torture then you should just keep your mouth shut. But alas, you need others to tell you how to think.

who seems to think anything we do to get information is justified because 'the enemy did it, so can we'.

Apparently you don't read either because I said just the opposite of what you stated.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I was wrong on the Geneva Convention thing.

Fine.

And while it is true that there are laws against torture in the US (and I am no lawyer so forget the arguement about American citizen/foriegn national/soldier stuff)

The ACTIONS used against members of terrorists groups who wanted to harm US citizens worked. We received information that aided in the capture of others that would cause harm to us and our country.

So are we in the wrong because we broke the rules?
Or is it time to change the damn rules because the people we are fighting sure as hell aren't playing by them!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Couldn't have stated it better myself. I agree with that entire post.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, anytime you hold your breath you're causing brain damage. What amazes me here is that people here seem to think water boarding is worse than sawing someone's head off....

....which begs the question... Would you choose to have your head sawed off in preference to water-boarding? I mean, people here think that water-boarding is worse than beheading...so I assume that would be their choice.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Or is it time to change the damn rules because the people we are fighting sure as hell aren't playing by them!

We did NOT break any rules.
The Geneva Conventions does not apply to terrorists.
Also, please show me where the Taliban and Al Quaida signed the Conventions.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Well, anytime you hold your breath you're causing brain damage. What amazes me here is that people here seem to think water boarding is worse than sawing someone's head off....

....which begs the question... Would you choose to have your head sawed off in preference to water-boarding? I mean, people here think that water-boarding is worse than beheading...so I assume that would be their choice.

I don't think anyone said waterboarding is worse than beheading. This isn't a contest on which technique is the most horrid. That hasn't even been a part of the debate. That is just silliness.

However, making an argument that we should do it because they would do it to us is a specious one. It doesn't serve anyone any good. And then we have to think about the mental sensibilities of the persons we have carrying out these acts of torture for us. They don't walk away unscarred.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by its bologna]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Geneva conventions apply to all wars and parties..not just the ones that signed the treaty..but we have US law that states we will not torture anyone under us control..

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Clearly one of the problems is that the terrorists aren't given the critical Toy Cow Emergency Tool to alert their captors that they give up...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I agree. But if you're right, then what leg does any protester have to stand on? Why IS IT such a g$%da&%$ issue anyway? Why did the CIA have to get congressional approval?
Just honest questions I have on this issue.
Personally I'm in full support of ten-pound sledge hammers and blow torches, but that's just because I've lost friends to these bastards.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It was never about which party is right and which party is wrong, It's about human life. You people need to realize that

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

YES.

Because we shouldn't be there!

Why can't people see this simple fact.

Read some history and you might get a clue as to why we're really there and why there are 'terrorists'.

What came first terrorism, or the end of the Ottoman Empire?

Do you think if the middle east was not full of oil we'd have still gone there?
The middle east has been America's most important strategic region since the end of WWII, when it signed the 'Anglo-American Petroleum Agreement' with the UK and France, who btw started the whole thing when they annexed the ME after they helped destroy the Ottoman Empire.

What is happening in the ME now has more to do with that then anything that has happened since. It's all about the oil.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think that the Epilady should be used for enhanced interrogation. How hairy are those terrorists anyway. How much hair being ripped out from their face before they're squealing?

And, it's a win-win. We get vital information and they smooth skin.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Personally I'm in full support of ten-pound sledge hammers and blow torches, but that's just because I've lost friends to these bastards.

That sucks man...I'm sorry for the loss you had to endure.

Mainly my main problem with all of it...the government doesn't give a damn about the actual people that die...they are viewed as a statistic.

We fight wars for a government that has done nothing but tarnish the very principles of this country. They have bankrupted our country...involved us in war after war..after war...they've lied to us...they say we try to spread freedom but we are friends with those who are dictators.

We were allies with OBL...we were allies with Hussein. We turned on them due to the work of politicians and beauracrats to support American and other interests.

They don't give a damn about lives lost.

I'm one of those who want everyone home....this war is unsustainable. They have been fighting in the middle east for 1000's of years. It's not something that is suddenly going to go away. It's not something we can end.

I feel we need to work on defending our own country..and it's borders...which are still completely wide open to any "terrorist' that feels like running for the border.

No one has done anything about it. how long has it been since 9/11?

Still nothing.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
I think that the Epilady should be used for enhanced interrogation. How hairy are those terrorists anyway. How much hair being ripped out from their face before they're squealing?

And, it's a win-win. We get vital information and they smooth skin.

Sorry, I'm turning you in as a war criminal. Using something like that on some hairy insurgent HAS to be a crime!!!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by its bologna
Geneva conventions apply to all wars and parties..not just the ones that signed the treaty.

Wrong!
The Geneva Conventions clearly states that it does not apply to terrorists.

but we have US law that states we will not torture anyone under us control..

Really? Show me this law.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
Do you think if mancow had any sensitive information he would have told us? [/quote

LOL

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

[snip]
Waterboarding is NOT torture.
[snip]
Waterboarding is mental and not physical. Apparently Mancow is not mentally tough.

Torture does not have to be physical only; all torture is mental. The more you can make the reptilian portion panic the better. Then the conscience loses all hold and becomes out of control panic that you never forget.

I am really surprised any civilized modern American would condone torture for any reason. I feel like after 9/11 I woke up in this alternate universe with some of my American countrymen showing how ugly some can really be.

We are better than that. We need to dust off that white hat and wear it with pride. We need to be a nation that is again seen as a beacon of light, not for just opportunity but mainly because We Are Americans Damn it and we try as hard as we can to do the proper thing.

Originally posted by bsbray11
Those buildings went down because they were rigged. We're the ones going around starting wars with countries for no good reason, carpet bombing their innocent civilians, and abducting and torturing people. You don't see ANY similarities to Nazi Germany there? Or never heard how history repeats itself? The longer it takes for you to see this stuff, the less chance we all have, though I'm pretty convinced our country is already screwed.

I agree...people seem to be blinded by 9/11....the truth will not be reviled we seem to be doomed to become this warped America from some dark grade "B" movie from the 1960's. :shk:

[edit on 22-5-2009 by LoneGunMan]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join