It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British pensioners scare of pirates!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
In times where we see only sad news stories this had to bring a smile to my face,

Somali pirates armed with machine guns pulled up along side a ship carrying a bunch of British holiday makers, mainly made up of pensioners sailing the seas for a nice relaxing break,

Pirates armed with Kalashnikovs tried to board the boat trying to climb on board where the British pensioners where having an evening of music,

But fear not!! the pensioners where not going to take it so they lifted deck chairs and started throwing them at the pirates while security fired warning shots, sending the pirates in to retreat,

"Mr and Mrs Rowlands were on the deck. Beryl Rowlands threw deck chairs at them," she said, adding that the ship had about 1000 passengers and 500 crew on board.

Ian and Jessie Moakes from Mansfield, central England, were on the MSC Melody to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary.

"Some holidaymakers threw tables and chairs to repel the pirates," Moakes, 62, a retired police officer, told the Sun newspaper.

www.news.com.au...

Good on them for standing up and not taking it,

Im very happy that they all got back safe and well,

[edit on 22-5-2009 by asala]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What were the pirates thinking.

How would they have fed 1500 people much less controlled them.

Plus do they really think that when they take 1500 hostages that no one is going to do anything.

Its one thing to take hostage the crew of a cargo ship that number 15 to 20 people.

But a cruise ship.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Is that all it takes to defend them?

i mean really they can only attempt to gain access to the boat from one side so just have any on board no matter how big the boat just attack them there.

Plus, any boat venturing near there should be armed. If not it's your own fault for riding in dangerous waters.

Great to hear a positive story though. seems rare these days.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It does make you wonder thats for sure, Though im sure the pirates aim would have been to get on takes some stuff then leave,

Odd though to take on that many old people ...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Awesome story...

That's made my night

Good to see the spirit of blighty is still strong.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
As far as i'm aware it was one plucky passenger that used the deck chair, gutsy all the same though taking on pirates
I think the crew used guns and water hoses to fend them off.

Here is a video of one couples account and holiday video from a cruise they're sure to remember....most slept through the ordeal, although the tell tale battle scars were there for all to see the following morning:

news.bbc.co.uk...

and another couples recollection of that night:
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 23-5-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Oh i loved the end commentary for the first video.

'Yeah i was looking out me window, and i saw one bloke hit a pirate over the back of the head with a deck chair'

and then it follows with the ending line...

'For them it was just a minor blip on their holiday and they wouldn't hesitate to go back'

I love it.....

top topics

join