It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Park plays high-pitch tone to discourage vandals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Park plays high-pitch tone to discourage vandals

news.yahoo.com

A Tokyo park has started playing a high-pitched tone at night that only young people can hear to help drive away teenagers who keep vandalizing the toilets and other facilities
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.postchronicle.com
en.wikipedia.org
www.switched.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
High School Using 'Mosquito' 17 khz for Child Crowd Crontrol

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The device is called The Mosquito.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/811a8b1bb654.jpg[/atsimg]

""The Mosquito" is a device that emits a high-frequency tone that is unbearable to those who can hear it, Masuda said"

"People's ability to hear high frequencies falls as they age. The device produces a high-pitch tone of around 17 kilohertz, which teens can hear but older people cannot"

Their website the-mosquito.com... says this "Since then, the Mosquito Teen Deterrent has been a huge success in Europe and has now been introduced to North America to great media attention."

But there are two sides to this story see here
Aparently kids are using them as ringtones so their parents don't hear. Take the test on this website to see if you can hear!!!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-5-2009 by MysterE]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I know of these. We've had them in England for a couple of years, mostly outside shops etc.
Luckily my ears matured just in time to not get annoyed by this whining little box.
But in Tokyo? Wierd. I like how restrained the officals were in talking about it:

While such devices are used at some convenience stores in Japan also troubled by teens, Masuda said district officials were hesitant at first.

"We were a little worried about whether the local government should be using such a device to exclude certain people, even if these are young people that are causing problems," Masuda said.

A far cry form this country, where the youth are blamed for practically anything.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think I actually saw this on Facebook. I can hear up to 17KHz, but not 17.4, which is good for me, since I'm over 30.

Thanks for the hearing test.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I can only hear the 8khz, every thing else is silent to me. What freqs do the rest of you hear, are there any you can not hear?

Guess those IEDs in Iraq and rock n roll from the 80s did more damage than I imagined. Hmmm, which is worse, rock n roll or IEDs.....

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

I can't believe i'm just hearing about these things. It just doesn't seem right to me.

reply to post by WickettheRabbit & ADVISOR

I could hear 16khz but not 17khz, which is just right for my age (27)
-E-

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

That age thing is wrong, or they have generalized people. I am 29 next month. I heard all of them upto 19 khz.
They had this outside our local shop for a while, i heard that too, as did a few other older people.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
thay had to remove them in my area of the uk due to complaints from older people hearing them aswel (uk)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
I can only hear the 8khz, every thing else is silent to me. What freqs do the rest of you hear, are there any you can not hear?

Maybe the hardware you have (speakers / headphones) is a factor there. I know when I got my hearing tested a couple of years back they said I could hear like a 12 year old
But my £15 headphones wont put out sound past 14 Khz (49 and younger) - I doubt I have lost that much hearing in 2 years.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just turned 30 and I can't hear the 17khz or the 18khz.

Does it say somewhere what I'm not supposed to be able to hear at 30?

Also, I throroughly surprised kids can hear anything given that I can hear their ipods from across the street and their car stereos from two counties over.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
i'm 50 but i could hear it way below my age. didn't realize how sensitive my hearing is.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Guess those IEDs in Iraq and rock n roll from the 80s did more damage than I imagined. Hmmm, which is worse, rock n roll or IEDs.....

I just tested my 25 year old co-worker, he could barely hear the 8khz. And he said "ya, well I rock out all the time in the car"

Don't bring your infants around this thing. Wiki says

On the other hand small children and infants are especially at risk, due to lengthy exposure to the sound, because the adults themselves do not perceive the noise. Moreover, the ultrasound affects not only hearing. Disruption of the equilibrium senses, as well as other extra-aural effects are well known. With the sound levels that can be reached by the device, the onset of dizziness, headache, nausea and impairment is to be expected. This is not the limit of the total risks to safety and health

-E-

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
28 and heard them all. The third one from the bottom I believe it is gives me a headache when I hear it. I hate that one.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The last 3 i couldn't hear....which ain't bad at all...

Good hearing

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I recall seeing on tv about Barry Manilow songs being played to deter young people from gathering around parking lots and other places at night.

I think it happened in the US but I am sure a local council in Sydney (Australia) did this too. It was to deter groups of young guys gathering to race their cars on suburban roads. It was effective. but I do not know if this is still being done.

I think this mosquito thingy is not such a good idea because you can't just lump people into a group according to chronology and say it wont damage their hearing. There are always anomalies that render methods ineffective.

just my naive 2 cents worth
res

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i revise my statement...i can hear them all. I had to have my ear facing the laptop rather than my face to hear 19 but heard them all after that very easily...even stranger, 19 was the most quiet out the lot

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

wow that is low.

i went to school for audio production and in a class they did a test with us and they kept raising the freq on speakers in class ( a studio ) and kept asking us if we could here it every time they raised it. I think I could hear up to 19k i think. i have pretty good hearing . 2 other guys could hear a bit higher ....not much because after 20k you can't hear it but was a neat little experiment and should be cool for any body to try out.

I think the teach ( who was I think 34 years old ) could only hear up to 14 or 15 k.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
These remind me of those ringtones that were going around a year or so ago that only the kids could hear so people would be calling in class and txting and the teachers could not hear that they were doing it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
I think I actually saw this on Facebook. I can hear up to 17KHz, but not 17.4, which is good for me, since I'm over 30.

Thanks for the hearing test.

I'm 27 and I can hear as high as their test goes (22khz). It's rather odd that I can hear that high considering all the ear problems I've had.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
My results were really weird. I could hear all the way up to '30 and younger.' But then I couldn't hear '24 and younger' at all. But it gets weird because I could hear the 20 khz of the '18 and under' but not the other two '18 and under' tones.

Did anyone else skip levels like that?

Oh, and edit to add: I'm 29 and will be 30 next month.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by AshleyD]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join