It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Nothing Happens, What Will You Do?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Question:

For all of those that believe the upcoming years will go off without a hitch, how do you explain the very-detailed depictions/glyphs of the coming alignment and end-times as found in the areas where the Maya, Sumerians, Hopi, etc. lived?

Firstly the Mayans, Sumerians and Hopi were avid sky watchers. They watched for so long i wonder if it is possible they figured out our solar systems place in the galaxy long before wetern science did. However it is also very possible we simply read their texts with our own science in mind and made it "fit" to our models of understanding.

I am on-the-fence about the whole 2012 doomsday scenario -- I view it more as a progressive train-wreck rather than an instant demise on 12-21-2012.

But, I do find it difficult to understand how and why all of these various cultures from vast regions around the world would depict similar scenarios. I mean, it's not like they could call each other and discuss the "prophecies" for the day or anything.

Cultures have always have doomday myths! Check the bible for proof of that. There have been people claiming the earth is about to die since the beginning of our species and yet here we are, thousands of years later.
The earth will end, that's an absolute fact, we will be hit my meteors again, statistically speaking. However the idea someone can predict the date, thousands of years in advance before they had advanced telescopes and the like seems rather silly to me.

Since I have trouble justifying it as mere coincidence, I am curious as to how others explain it away.

Thanks.

Read above.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Anyone who refers to 2012 as a doomsday, or refers to it as "the end of the world" is miseducated. You'll find that anyone with a half-brain that has studied the 2012 phenomenon in no way says-"Get ready for cataclysms! mass death and end times are on its way!" Or any similar statement.

As many people have said before, Dec 21st 2012 is not a lightswitch day, when suddenly massive event(s) occur that change the face of the planet forever. Again those who are educated on it will planly tell you that it will be more clear what will happen as we get closer to it, as all events in linear time progress and unfold, it will be easy to see if 2012 is a nothing point, or something novel and rare.

In relation to the theory, ignoring ideas such as the current exponetial times that relate very much to the timewave zero and novelty theory suggest that the 2012 point could be relative to the growing interconnectedness of the planet. Whether or not this "culminates" or is completely irrelevent is still to be seen.

Keep in mind that the mayan calander is based off of astronomical phenomenon, as are all mesasurements of time. The cycle that ends on 2012 is a measure of the process of precession that the earth undergoes, the end date of their calander has little relevance in todays age outside of this fact(? precession does complete this day on the solstice correct me if im wrong?)

The idea of a pole # is definately something that one needs to keep an open mind to, the earths magnetic field has flipped several times through-out history and studies do indicate that a pole shift is long overdue. The earths magnetic field has undergone a large amount of weakening, and the magnetic north pole has indeed moved in recent times. Many people know that the magnetosphere is one of the primal forces that help shape life and its processes, this could have effects that remain to be unseen on animal life, as well as our conscious minds. Again just because the 2012 date exists does not mean that a pole shift WILL occur around this time.

Everyone can do themselves a big favor and stop equating the idea of Y2K to the idea of 2012. If you even faintly compare these two theories, your basically committing intellectual suicide. Y2K didnt mean anything at all, the media hyped it up and the frightened people of the world went and stimulated the fake economy by buying up supplies. Honostly i was but a young man when Y2K was rolling around but seeing people at walmart buying supplies made me want to

Possibly what i will be doing on 2012 IF "nothing" happens will be pondering on when people will finally give up the idea that they need to be right about things, simply to boost their imaginary sense of self. People on these forums manage to tie their ego into alot of what they say, especially on the 2012 topic.

Boy oh boy dont us shallow human beings love to tell each other "I TOLD U SOOO!!!1"

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
well i dont know what i would do, to be frank , maybe im on some paradise island living a good life......or then just sitting home,married 1 kid and wife knockt up again nagging why dont i go to the shop and buy grocerys ....

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ansiroth
Anyone who refers to 2012 as a doomsday, or refers to it as "the end of the world" is miseducated. You'll find that anyone with a half-brain that has studied the 2012 phenomenon in no way says-"Get ready for cataclysms! mass death and end times are on its way!" Or any similar statement.

As many people have said before, Dec 21st 2012 is not a lightswitch day, when suddenly massive event(s) occur that change the face of the planet forever. Again those who are educated on it will planly tell you that it will be more clear what will happen as we get closer to it, as all events in linear time progress and unfold, it will be easy to see if 2012 is a nothing point, or something novel and rare.

Please state how your theory of great things happening has any better basis than those who say it will be mass death and awful things. You have exactly the same amount of evidence, that being none.

In relation to the theory, ignoring ideas such as the current exponetial times that relate very much to the timewave zero and novelty theory suggest that the 2012 point could be relative to the growing interconnectedness of the planet. Whether or not this "culminates" or is completely irrelevent is still to be seen.

Again, how would the Mayans or anyone else know this? They would have had to predict all of our technology and history. If we accept the idea that they saw the future then we have to accept the idea of a pre-determined future and life.

Keep in mind that the mayan calander is based off of astronomical phenomenon, as are all mesasurements of time. The cycle that ends on 2012 is a measure of the process of precession that the earth undergoes, the end date of their calander has little relevance in todays age outside of this fact(? precession does complete this day on the solstice correct me if im wrong?)

The Mayans appear to have written calendars before that ended and were then started over. The world did not endd nor was there any kind of mass awakening, positive things etc.

The idea of a pole # is definately something that one needs to keep an open mind to, the earths magnetic field has flipped several times through-out history and studies do indicate that a pole shift is long overdue. The earths magnetic field has undergone a large amount of weakening, and the magnetic north pole has indeed moved in recent times. Many people know that the magnetosphere is one of the primal forces that help shape life and its processes, this could have effects that remain to be unseen on animal life, as well as our conscious minds. Again just because the 2012 date exists does not mean that a pole shift WILL occur around this time.

How would the Mayans know this one? The pole shift is supposedly a very rare event. Regular maybe but long spans between it happens. The Mayan civilisation would have been and gone before one of these shifts if we are to believe the science.

As for it affecting our concious minds, are you really serious? Please state the science that backs up any of these claims. There is no evidence that the weak magnetic field of earth greatly affects human beings. Intense fields do, directed fields do, but not the comparatively weak field of our planet (unless localised fields occur).

Everyone can do themselves a big favor and stop equating the idea of Y2K to the idea of 2012. If you even faintly compare these two theories, your basically committing intellectual suicide. Y2K didnt mean anything at all, the media hyped it up and the frightened people of the world went and stimulated the fake economy by buying up supplies. Honostly i was but a young man when Y2K was rolling around but seeing people at walmart buying supplies made me want to

Or lets forget disaster and simply talk of all the positive things. The oroblem is you have no more evidence for these positive things you proclaim than the doomsayers. So why shouldn't people buy supplies when they have exactly the same evidence as you. Oh and i will say that if something random like Katrina happened tomorrow, or an earthquake, or any flooding or well you get the idea, then the people you were laughing at will have supplies to last it out. Not talking 2012 here just random chance that happens.

Possibly what i will be doing on 2012 IF "nothing" happens will be pondering on when people will finally give up the idea that they need to be right about things, simply to boost their imaginary sense of self. People on these forums manage to tie their ego into alot of what they say, especially on the 2012 topic.

Boy oh boy dont us shallow human beings love to tell each other "I TOLD U SOOO!!!1"

Aww so you'll be upset that all the good things didn't happen and you were made to look slightly silly? People like to say i told you so when they are vindicated. When they believe in rational thought and they see so much rubbish spouted then yes it can get annoying and you want to change it. One way of doing that is pointing out when people are wrong and getting them to assess how much merit an idea has to have before believing it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Please state how your theory of great things happening
Woah Woah Woah

Foremost im incredibly insulted that you made so many assumptions about my last post. The number one being that no where did i state that any positive thing would happen, not anywhere did i state i believe an enlightment etc is comming. I understand very much the idea that you wish to reveal the truth of matters through deductive reasoning, perhaps you should go tell christians about how jesus shares a similar story with many other saviors. That will get us closer to the truth then letting the common person know they are misguiding when refering to 2012 as a doomsday.

Also, Timewave Zero was originally theorized by Terrance to end in Novermber of 2012, however he (or someone) moved the day to Dec 21st, 2012 after hearing about the mayans end date.

Again, how would the Mayans or anyone else know this? They would have had to predict all of our technology and history. If we accept the idea that they saw the future then we have to accept the idea of a pre-determined future and life.

No, we don't. your last statement is another large assumption. The mayans simply created the long-count bah'ktun cycle based off of precession. Instead of focusing on "how the mayans knew" about these things, ask yourself- "what does precession have to do with these things?"

The Mayans appear to have written calendars before that ended and were then started over. The world did not endd nor was there any kind of mass awakening, positive things etc.

All of the mayans calanders are fitted inside of each other if i am not mistaken. specifically the 260 day gestation calander, and the 52-year calender round of how they kept track of specific days and the nature of those days. All of these calanders do repeat and start over, however the precessional long-count calender lasts 5,125 years and the mayans never saw the start nor the end of this calender occur, it is closely regarded for this fact.

Also note that the mayans didn't devise their entire calander system alone, much of it was duplicated from the olmec's. The mayans simply built upon it.

As for it affecting our concious minds, are you really serious? Please state the science that backs up any of these claims.

There is no conculsive evidence of this because the root of conciousness is still a mystery. The theory that concsiousnes arises out of electromagnetism inside the brain is an intersting theory to explore. if it is true, there could be further speculation of how the earths magnetics could interact and change/distort it.

Or lets forget disaster and simply talk of all the positive things. The oroblem is you have no more evidence for these positive things you proclaim than the doomsayers.

Again I proclaim no positive things, i am merely observing trends that progress in our scope of observable time, because thats the best way to get an idea of the future. You know if nobody focused on the positive things life would be a very mundain place to live. Theres a difference between hoping for a better world and actively trying to make that world a better place. I don't think positively, i act positively, i enjoy my life on earth and i seek to improve it. And if you feel that stocking up on supplies is a viable root to surviving a disaster, and you are correct in doing so. Then you bet on the right horse, but im sure there is few to no times in history when people stocked up and then required it.

Aww so you'll be upset that all the good things didn't happen and you were made to look slightly silly?

That will not happen, i did not formulate any theory of 2012. I observe what is being said and what is going on in the present and how it may relate to that date. I never express certainty about anything, something that you have ignored about me and are expressing yourself.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This only *matters* because we know about the Mayan calendar. How many other civilizations existed prior that had their own end of the world time? Maybe to some of those, the end of the world already happened.

Mankind seems obsessed with his own self-destruction. So much so, that he is willing to make it a reality. I fear that the events unfolding are not insomuch the result of a calendar stopping but rather because of a subconscious desire to create this scenario.

For me, December 21, 2012 will be just another day. In fact, I'll probably have some Christmas party to attend.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
of course it will not happen.The aliens over many thousands of years have created too many bases on earth to let it all get destroyed.On the other hand most of the alien based are located deep underground.They could even be deep enough to withstand a supernova blast.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GORGANTHIUM
of course it will not happen.The aliens over many thousands of years have created too many bases on earth to let it all get destroyed.On the other hand most of the alien based are located deep underground.They could even be deep enough to withstand a supernova blast.

I'm guessing that was all said tongue in cheek, at least i hope it was!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Here's a thought
Maybe prophecies are uttered so we can do something about them.
If it's a good prophecy we do what we can to make it happen.
If it's a bad prophecy we do things to lessen it or stop it from happening.
I thought the purpose of Nostradamus's quatrains was so we could prepare for the worst. Which lessens the effect of the event in the prophecy.

In light of that ... I don't believe that a world destroying event will occur.
I am hoping for a worldwide spiritual awakening to occur.... so if that doesn't happen, I will be disappointed and will have to move on and keep learning.

edit to get back to topic

[edit on 17-6-2009 by MonoChromeWrayth]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by MonoChromeWrayth]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Great post OnTheFelt.
Anyway, I will be out getting shizzitfizzaced, drunk off my ass watching the sunset.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by h1satsu]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I would have to agree that there have been countless doomsday predictions, HOWEVER, this has to be the most talked about and the one with most supportive facts, even great scientists back this up. For example, I am a big fan of Michio Kaku's work and his science team predicts solar flares "around" 2012, so we can't just joke at the moment, this is not something someone on the internet said is going to happen or prophets from thousands of years ago, but scientists today. I'm not saying science is 100% right every time, but the big IF, should be enough to give us a warning and try to get ready not mentally but technologically as in back-up systems harden our communication systems etc.

So yes, there were lots of doomsday predictions such as the 2000 bug, which i didn't even hear about or cared even less and a lot of other ones I've laughed about, they COULD have been devastating but just as another poster said "if we are at the wrong place at the wrong time" now with so many theories nothing may happen again but the chances are much greater.

Back at the topic at hand, what would I do. before 2012, I would keep researching of the possibilities see how I can help with my knowledge etc. if nothing happens after that I would keep working into science, so we don't have to wait for something to happen but work and be always ready IF that something happens.

I hope that wasn't TOO boring.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Anyone who is afraid of 2012 or is "waiting" for something to happen is missing the entire point. If you cannot already notice the shift happening, than I feel bad for you, but I know you'll eventually see it. The collapse of our economy, exposure of our government, false flu, I don't few this as bad. I view it as unnecessary things that we haven't gave a though to. The second we turn our flashlights onto subjects like the economy, we realize how insane it has become and we desperately try to divert the attention on something else.

People are done skirting around issues anymore. Social, political, and economic issues are being exposed, and while it's painful at first to do this - it's a necessary step in order to further us as a race. When we all realize money isn't real and war cannot happen unless we all volunteer, its kind of scary to think we're involved.

None of us are innocent. We're all letting this happen. We're finally realizing this fact, and we're finally going to change it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Hello ATS. It is my humble view that 2012 will pass as most years have with nothing major happening. I mean i know if there is a terrorist attack or another war that the 2012 believers will blame it on the year but in the end it won't be that cataclysm they're after.

So my simple question for those on ATS who are thinking that 2012 will be something monumental is:

What are you going to do when nothing happens?

The World Changes Forever Every Year, Every Day, Every Hour, Every Second, Every Nano-Second. Momentous Events Happen Every Year. Every Day. Every Hour. Every Second. And with the Telescoping Nature of Time and Science this will only increase. What your Saying is not thinking Logically, or using Critical Thinking. Please do not be Blinded by the Ignorance of Others. Perhaps study more about 2012. Only the Crack Pots and PTB what you to believe it is the End of the World. In order to have you manifest the End (so they don't have to).

The Mayans do not Say this. They say it will mark a Time when we Begin to Understand the Nature of Time and it Cycles Better. That is It. The End of A World Age, The Beginning of a New one. The Satya Yuga as Opposed to the Kali Yuga we are now in. Nothing to Do with the End of the World. Period.

WAKE UP.

Om A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhih, Dhih, Dhih

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Manjushri Bodhisattva]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join