It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Creepy New Algorithm Knows If You're Going to Quit Your Job Before You Do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Google's Creepy New Algorithm Knows If You're Going to Quit Your Job Before You Do

Google's developed an algorithm that tells them which employees are most likely to quit. That's creepy.

Think about it: It's a formula designed to let a machine essentially wriggle around inside your head to extract your true intentions—intentions you might not even realize you have yet—to reveal them to the company bean counters, who are basically machines themselves. Who can then take the Pre-Crime approach and [snip]can you before you quit—if you were really going to quit at all.

Google developed the algorithm in response to its best employees bailing, so presumably at least some of the unhappy people would be wooed, not written off. But this is just the beginning. Today, a computer knows if you're going to quit. Next, a computer calculates if you should be hired at all. Which is only a few generations removed from determining if all people shouldn't be fired, but like, permanently. From earth.

The uprising is coming, and Google will be where it begins.

Wow, I just happened accross this and found it fairly odd. What does it look for if you visit job posting sites and then narcs on you to your boss? However, this is probably the beggining of algorithims geared towards "psychologically profiling" us based on surfing or computing habits.

What a world, what a world.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I try to use scroogle for all of my search needs.
Google is growing too fast for anyone to predict it's true future, and I do not wish to fill it's banks with my interests.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It seems the more the internet evolves, the more your IP is becoming a valuable commodity for nefarious intent.

This may be a good thing, as people will start using VPN's to attain autonomous surfing.

There should be NO association of guilt or thought crime, when merely surfing the web.

p.s. i worry about the crap i post on this site, as it's easy for a gubmit agency to trace your head thoughts against your ISP & IP. I propose a new interweb, where we are all connected with yoghurt pots and a piece of string!

[img]http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17342938.jpg?size=572&uid=[E3F6D9A2-6D24-47EF-B5AE-DD8E1C399661][/img]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Reminds me of the MWJ project we ran at one of my old jobs.
There was a girl who liked to chat a lot(yahoo, msn, aol etc) while she was at work...let's call her Jackie.
One day, our supervisor decided to deal with the situation in an unconventional way(Mess With Jackie), so we put a sniffer on her ethernet port to figure out which ports she was using for her chat apps and proceeded to create a filter blocking access for all of her chat apps.
Supposedly, her productivity increased after this and she never said anything about it to anyone that I know of.

If you work for a technology company, you must assume your every action is being watched and be prepared to justify them.

Thankfully, many of those in charge of policy enforcement are people too and will only allow it to go so far, but not before their curiosity has crushed a few toes of people who are more easily flustered when they realize that their systems capabilities can be controlled in various ways thanks to that SLA they agreed to but failed to read.

Google has every right to explore these capabilities and use them however they see fit and we have every right to interpret them as being potentially evil which would bring the Google motto into question and maybe result in a class-action lawsuit, but I am certain they have considered and are prepared for such a thing.

What I find most interesting about this development is that they are taking user data and having some success at teaching the system a kind of pattern recognition which is what I understand as one of the main hurtles they need to overcome to achieve effective artificial intelligence.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
... i worry about the crap i post on this site, as it's easy for a gubmit agency to trace your head thoughts against your ISP & IP. I propose a new interweb, where we are all connected with yoghurt pots and a piece of string!

I'm not really a conspiracy theorist per se... but I say with no fear of contradiction that these boards almost certainly ARE being monitored by USGovt., and presumably IP addresses are being logged.

A great proportion of people who frequent these boards would be viewed by government agencies as being 'subversives', or as having the potential to become subversive or even develop into some kind of terrorist.

I would have little doubt that there are a number of users of these boards who have been placed on some kind of 'watch lists', and whose general internet activity is closely monitored, owing to things they have said here (ie things about how much they disapprove of the Commander in Chief, how they are certain that the US is headed down a disastrous path, how MAD they are and how they wish they could change things... etc. etc.).

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by eniac

Yep, you're right.

Thank God i applaud anything the CiC does (and his predecessors), i condone any g'ment bail-out of those poor, downtrodden bankers, etc.

I'm English but i will fly the American flag with pride.

p.s. Do you think that's enough to get me off their 'watch-list'?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

lol-- negative! You better start contributing $$ to the GOP or Dem. party

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eniac

A great proportion of people who frequent these boards would be viewed by government agencies as being 'subversives', or as having the potential to become subversive or even develop into some kind of terrorist.

Sounds too negative... How about the potential to do something great to mankind?

Like perhaps inventing means to make the basic unit of society - the family completely self-sufficient, doesn't have to work or get a job to do so.

Why would anyone NOT want to get anything he/she is currently getting without having to work for it? Not have to pay taxes? Not to be bossed around.. To spend time with family 24/7. And to be impervious from economic fluctuations...

It's a dire possibility and also very serious threat to governments and to the economy. It's great but, it's since it's also undermines the existence of powerful organizations, you become a threat too, even if you are for the side of good

new topics

top topics

join