It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healing plants and herbs chart~

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is a great resource for beginners! An excellent starting point for survivalists who want to learn more about the benefits and resources of easy to cultivate herbs and plants. Enjoy!

www.anniesremedy.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

Thanks for the post, I'll be sure to check out thoroughly!

second line

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

Hey Jackie!

Do you think you could add that link to the list of herbal resources I'm trying to make?

The thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you don't want to, no problem. But I thought it would be a good idea to stick everything together in a thread instead of all over the place.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Absolutely! I have alot of knowledge & experience in this area and would love to contribute some of my own findings. I work with herbs and essential oils (in my spare time). ~going to thread~~~~

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the link
I have a bookmark folder for these kind of health sites.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
OP, S&F 4 U!
But I have a really potentially stupid question.
Can anything be done with regular lawn grass? I've always wondered that...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

It depends what kind of grass is on your lawn! But if it's bermuda grass, check this out:
www.hort.purdue.edu...

traditional use of Cynodon is for eye disorders and weak vision; the afflicted are advised to walk bare foot on dew drops spread over Cynodon plant each morning. According to Ayurveda, India's traditional pharmacopoeia, Cynodon plant is pungent, bitter, fragrant, heating, appetizer, vulnerary, anthelmintic, antipyretic, alexiteric. It destroys foulness of breath, useful in leucoderma, bronchitis, piles, asthma, tumors, and enlargement of the spleen. According to Unani system of medicine, Cynodon plant is bitter, sharp hot taste, good odor, laxative, brain and heart tonic, aphrodisiac, alexipharmic, emetic, emmenagogue, expectorant, carminative and useful against grippe in children, and for pains, inflammations, and toothache (Agharkar 1991).

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

lol~ here is a great article and resource on eating weeds.

www.susunweed.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sweet guys, thanks for the info.
It's amazing how almost everything (living) has a place in this world. Even the grass (as far as for humans). Even weeds!
Just plain awesome. I love it!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
With the danger of killer flu still running rampant I thought I would share some info. Here are the best herbs and essential oils used to combat viruses and boost the immune system:
(please note * indicates availability in Essential Oil form)
Herbs
~Juniper* (anti-viral, immuno-booster), this is a personal favorite! Great for cold & flu as well as detoxification of the body. Available in EO but also makes a great healing tea by simmering the berries.
~Echinacea (immunity)
~Astragalus (immunity)
~Dragons Blood* (kills viruses), *also available in an Essential Oil (stronger, better effects, most concentrated form of a plant/herbs constituents.
~Agathosma Betulina/Buchu (antiseptic, antioxidant), take as a supplement as a preventitive measure
~Goldenseal (immuno-stimulant), combine with other anti-virals to boost effect, ie. echinacea
~Goldenrod (fights infection)
~Peppermint* (fights infection and boosts immunity), *can be taken in EO form (strongest) or in a tea made from leaves
~Garlic, raw or tablet form, can also be taken in *EO form
~Schizandra Sinesis* (protects against toxins and cell damage)
~Lemon Balm* (anti-viral, often used in herpes treatment.....don't laugh!), I prefer in EO form but makes a lovely tea also.

Essential Oils (know your source before ingesting, not all oils are safe for internal consumption!)
~Thyme
~Lavender
~Coriander
~Petitgrain
~Eucalyptus (Radiata or Globulus)
~Niaouli
~Tea Tree
~Ravensara
~Geranium
~Rose (otto)
~Palmarosa
~Peppermint, Spearmint
~Marjoram
~Oregano
~Rosemary
~Sage

At some point I will begin posting recipies for various remedies.....(if it's allowed
)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Don't forget the Skullcap!!!! This is one of the more useful herbs, medicinally speaking, and will grow anywhere with vigor!

Skullcap is used as an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, slightly astringent, emmenagogue, febrifuge, nervine, sedative and is strongly tonic.

Skullcap is used in the treatment of a wide range of nervous conditions including epilepsy, insomnia, hysteria, anxiety, delerium tremens, withdrawal from barbiturates and tranquilisers. A medicinal infusion of the plant is used to promote menstruation, it should not be given to pregnant women since it can induce a miscarriage, the infusion is also used in the treatment of throat infections. The infusion is given for nervous headaches, neuralgia and in headache arising from incessant coughing, pain, and inducing sleep when necessary, without any unpleasant symptoms following. Skullcap is currently being used as an alternative medicine to treat ADD and a number of nerve disorders. Should be used with some caution since in overdose it causes giddiness, stupor, confusion and twitching.

I've been growing this stuff for years, and it's a great addition to the landscape as well. Be careful though, it's quite aggressive when established, so best grown in containers. Beautiful plant, 24 - 36 inches tall, with brilliant blue flowers that attract honey bees. Hardy enough to survive the winters here in Colorado at 7,000 feet.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Of course I love me some Skullcap! It's one I grow as well but I was focusing on anti-virals in that post!

Chamomile is another favorite but I wouldn't use it for that type of sickness~~ ya know what I mean jelly bean?!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Please see new thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This will be the working thread for natural remedies, homeopathic recipes, essential oils & herb info.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Great thread topic. S&F

Im not a fan of pharmaceutical companies and the crap they produce so this will be a great source of natural remedies.

I'm starting to buy and eat more organic food stuffs too, to try and lead a healthier lifestyle.

I swear that Garlic has been amazing. I make sure to have a high garlic intake in my diet and since I have started that about 2 years ago, I have not had one cold or flu....... actually I haven't been sick at all for the last 2 years so there's something to be said about herbs and natural foods.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Thanks QBS! Yep, garlic is a biggie that everyone can do very easily. Here is a cool resource I found....lol! Everything you ever wanted to know about Garlic and then some......(in it's entirety here:
www.indio.net...)

Garlic Properties: Aperitif, helps in digestion, helps renal and liver functions, stops the putrid fermentation in the intestines, helps relieve constipation and improves urination, helps in the formation of red blood cells and fights anemia, its a powerful disinfectant and microbicide, improves circulation and avoids bronchial afflictions, useful for diabetics, rheumatics and hyperactives, tones the lungs and cures asthma, bronchopnumonia and apnia, calms coughs and relieves diphtheria and whooping cough attacks, also helps in the removal of intestinal parasites, relieves neurological pains, headaches, insomnia, hysteria and depression, helps in removing scabbies, arteriosclerosis, gout, varicose Acts as a rubefaction that inhibits the venom in mosquito, scorpion, bee, hornet and wasp stings. Prevents tuberculosis and fevers and some people claim it is also good against malaria and rabies, it regenerates the skin in case of light burns, softens and removes calluses, removes thirst and sour mouth.
Methods of Use The various properties of Garlic are much more efficient if eaten raw, since heat makes it lose its usefulness, nevertheless, if the garlic is undigested on certain occasions provokes disagreeable and odorous belching. To avoid this first crush 3 garlic cloves and swallow without chewing halfway thru meals, with the final result of not irritating the stomach lining and and ease its way to the intestines. Other forms of eating garlic are in salads, boiled in milk or combined in water, lemon juice in tincture ect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Stimulate the Appetite and Digestion: Grind 3 Garlic cloves with a little water and eat raw, before or during meals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Anemia: Prepare a salad with radish, lettuce, tomato and raw crushed Garlic, add a little oil and salt to taste.

To Improve Blood Circulation: Eat 2 to 3 crushed Garlic cloves before breakfast.

To Lower Arterial Blood Pressure in Persons with Hypertension: Mince well 1 clove of Garlic and swallow with water for several days.

In Cases of Asthma, Difficulty in Breathing, Cough, Whooping cough, Diphtheria and Bronchial afflictions: Boil in 1/2 liter of water, 8 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed, add a little bit of oregano, strain then add 2 spoonfuls of bee honey and from this take 1 teaspoonful once an hour until better avoiding any and all cold drinks or food. For the same symptoms but to get better faster you can also do this: Boil in 1/2 liter of milk, 1/2 a head of Garlic and 2 carrots, sweeten to taste with bee honey and take 1 warm glass of the remedy before bedtime.

To Cure the Welt that Appears Around the Neck Area Especially in Summer: Take a clove of Garlic, cut in half and rub vigorously on the affected area, after approximately 3 hours add a little bit of lemon juice to the affected area 3 times a day and continue to follow the remedy until the welt is gone.

For Rheumatism: Take 2 Garlic cloves, open in half, and rub vigorously on the painful area until the Garlic juice appears. Do this same treatment several times a day avoiding water(as in baths) or cold environments.

For Mosquito, Scorpion, Bee, Hornet and Wasp stings: Crush 1 garlic clove and apply the remedy on the affected area while gently rubbing it in. The Pain Will Stop!

For Malaria: Take 3 whole Garlic cloves and a glass of milk each morning.
For Fevers: Boil 1/2 kilo of Garlic in liter of water then mix in 1/2 kilo of sugar, let stand, strain, then drink one spoonful before each meal.

For Rabies: Drink several times a day the infusion made with 100 grams of Garlic cut into little pieces to 1/2 liter of water, let sit for 1 day, wring and sweeten to taste with sugar or bee honey.

For Mild Burns: Take 3 or 4 Garlic cloves, crush, mix with oil(cooking oil)and apply to the burn.

For Callusses: Make a paste of Garlic and honey, apply to the callus for several days,the callus will soften then disappear.

To Remove Thirst Instantly: Take a head of Garlic, blend in 1 liter of water and drink as a regular daily drink whenever thirsty.

To Remove that Certain Bad Breath almost Everyone Has in the Morning: Take 1 raw Garlic clove, crush, strain into a glass of water with the juice of 2 lemons and kiss your bad breath away.

For Athletes Foot: Dust feet with Garlic powder and wear clean socks all the time.

See this thread for garlic tincture recipe! www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-6-2009 by jackieps1975]

top topics

join