It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Curriculum Proposal Riles Elementary School Parents

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Great. No wonder CA is in the hole, money-wise.

Transgender? You're going to get a bunch of five year olds, giggling, "That man's in a dress!!"

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't agree with this. Yes, bullying is wrong. We all know that (at least I hope we do). There is a vast majority that also agree with the separation of church and state when it comes to public school education (yes, someone already pointed this out.)
So let me get this straight. I'm supposed to be okay with the fact that "God" is forbidden in schools, but feel free to teach my children about sexuality starting in Kindergarten. Right?
If you feel comfortable with that, good for you. It's hard enough being a parent having to explain heterosexual relationships to kids (I'm talking about younger children here). It usually leads to the "50 questions" game (about the birds and bees, that is). Now trying to throw in gay, lesbian, bi, and transgender relationships into that mix? Come on. Don't try to indoctrinate my children with that agenda. Let us as parents, cross that bridge when we get there.

Thanks,

C. Cat

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cheshire cat

Don't try to indoctrinate my children with that agenda.

While I don't agree with this it doesn't sound like an agenda, the gay issue is only one issue covered in this curriculum. Never does it say it will teach that your children should support homosexuality. It only implies that they will teach children to accept that some people are different and to tolerate and treat those people with the same respect you would show anyone else.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The kindergartners will focus on the harms of teasing, while the fifth graders will study sexual orientation stereotypes

That seems about right, no? I think that the articler implies that the younger ones would be more focused on bullying itself than exactly what they would be bullying about ...don't want to put ideas in their heads

Kindergardeners can't really conceptualize much of it all anyway...especially when it comes to LGBT individuals. I've had my children and walked by numerous homosexual couples holding hands or kissing and they don't bat an eyelid. They just don't realize that theres anything wrong with that really.
However (and parents you know what I'm talking about) when you're in the grocery line and they shout out "Mommy, that woman is fat!" or "Mommy, why is that man missing his leg?" you have to age-appropriately explain people are different as you turn beet red and attempt to dash out of there as quickly as possible.....

It is interesting how whenever it seems information is supposed to be "witheld" in a school setting......the dissent seems to come from a generic conservative standpoint. Don't teach this about LGBT people...or about sex or condoms....or read this book blah blah blah. You don't really see any "liberal" objections....except for creationism....but that can be included in a curriculum as long as its not in a science setting

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I'm not really sure if there is an agenda to "promote" LGBT-ism....The agenda would be to curb verbage used in bullying (along with racial or weight-related or red hair or whatever) that relates to those issues. In our current society many of those words are completely inappropriate and it not only follows good relations between peers but also- manners. Kids need to be told, more than once, that those words are not appropriate in school. School is like the workplace....do what you want when its after 5pm but in that building you need to follow a certain level of decorum for it to function.

Again, this is why my husband and I pay top dollar to send ours to a private school in which yes, they do address LGBT issues from a very young age. Nobody complains. In fact, I believe the parents rallied for it.....

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

For the record, scripture is open to interpretation, but if you let scripture interpret scripture, and you use reason, you come to the conclusion that although people who are gay are people like you and me, deserving understanding, tolerance, compassions, etc (all the stuff that we all have a God given right to), it is clear that God does not condone homosexuality. If you think He does, then please provide me with a verse to show it. And do not use the Holy Kiss verse. That one won't work. Show me one where He says it's ok to lie with a man like a man lies with a woman. You won't find one. You'll find the exact opposite. Either way, if you want to be gay, that's fine with me, I won't hate on you. But leave my freakin' kids alone.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

Don't try to indoctrinate my children with that agenda.

While I don't agree with this it doesn't sound like an agenda, the gay issues is only one issue covered in this curriculum. Never does it say it will teach that your children should support homosexuality. It only implies that they will teach children to accept that some people are different and to tolerate and treat those people with the same respect you would show anyone else.

I didn't mean to offend. There is a distinct difference between telling children to accept that people are different, and going into detail about a lifestyle that they do not have the ability to wrap their heads around. I can understand, perhaps (and I still don't recommend) this curriculum being presented to teenagers, but not to children.
If, as parents, we are capable of teaching our children how to use the toliet, tie shoes, respect adults; why is it alluded to the fact we can't teach tolerance? It seems idiotic.

Thanks,
C. Cat

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

There is a distinct difference between telling children to accept that people are different, and going into detail about a lifestyle that they do not have the ability to wrap their heads around.

Where does it say it will go into detail about these lifestyles? Far as I know it doesn't state what exactly they'll be teaching the fifth graders yet, but that it will be focused on respecting those that are different instead of bullying them.

why is it alluded to the fact we can't teach tolerance? It seems idiotic.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that there is any indoctrination "agenda" involved.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
However (and parents you know what I'm talking about) when you're in the grocery line and they shout out "Mommy, that woman is fat!" or "Mommy, why is that man missing his leg?" you have to age-appropriately explain people are different as you turn beet red and attempt to dash out of there as quickly as possible.....

Yeah, I know exactly how that goes.

There are certain "stepping stones" that little kids go through in understanding differences in people. They usually point out the "physical" differences most often.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

I know this has been covered time and time again, but if we followed every crazy thing we found in Leviticus (let alone the Bible) the world would be a very interesting place....

So I suppose if you follow the message of Jesus you would probably open your arms to anyone.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Where does it say it will go into detail about these lifestyles? Far as I know it doesn't state what exactly they'll be teaching the fifth graders yet, but that it will be focused on respecting those that are different instead of bullying them.

No offense intended, but, have you even been around any elementary aged children?

I have a 7 yr old daughter that has to have a promising career as an interrogater for whatever gov't agency. If LGBT is mentioned in school, it's not going to stop there. It'll be that someone pointed out that they are different, and that they have to be accepted/tolerated. So, as most parents know, that subject is now brought home. Why are they different? What do they do? Why do they do that? etc.
So, in other words, the lifestyles are going to have to be explained one way or another, in the parent's choice of words or what the school has chosen to explain. I, for one, am not ready to have that conversation yet.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by cheshire cat]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You know what? Good for them. 45 minutes a year to help children become aware of GLBT issues and to promote anti bullying tactics is a blessing.

To the people who it's up to the parents to talk about these sensative topics about GLBT issues, how exactly would you go about it without being biased? If you are a parent opposed to homosexuality how can you teach them not to bully them? My parents are highly opposed to homosexuals and I just so happen to be bisexual. If my parents were to 'educate' me on homosexual sensativity I would only be hearing "blah blah blah gay people are wrong blah blah blah Christianity this blah blah blah". I think it takes an insititution like a school to help be as unbiased as possible.

ALTHOUGH I do not believe that they should make it mandatory. If a parent does not want the child in that class they should be able to have them miss the class or stay home or whatever. Schools should not be able to make that decision on behalf of the parents.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheshire cat

No offense intended, but, have you even been around any elementary aged children?

I have a 7 yr old daughter that has to have a promising career as an interrogater for whatever gov't agency. If LGBT is mentioned in school, it's not going to stop there. It'll be that someone pointed out that they are different, and that they have to be accepted/tolerated. So, as most parents know, that subject is now brought home. Why are they different? What do they do? Why do they do that? etc.
So, in other words, the lifestyles are going to have to be explained one way or another, in the parent's choice of words or what the school has chosen to explain. I, for one, am not ready to have that conversation yet.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by cheshire cat]

I see what you're saying and I can understand why it would be difficult and this by no means questioning you as a parent but I have a question for you:

Wouldn't you rather have this conversation under circumstances in which are favourable like this? Topic brought up in class, your child gets curious, and asked a trusted parent? Rather than, and this is from experience as my youngest cousin, now 9, hears it from kids at school who just make fun of them and call them mean nasty names, or watches it on TV (not that I'm saying you let them watch whatever, but it's a possibility).

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

So, in other words, the lifestyles are going to have to be explained one way or another

My teachers had a handle on all sorts of issues, including religion, because they had to. I don't think this one will be any more difficult if the adult is competent. And that still shows no signs of any "agenda". That was simply my point, whether this raises more questions or not there is no evidence of an agenda.

Yes I've been around elementary school children. I babysit my six year old nephew every week.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

The funny thing about people who quote Leviticus is that they have no understanding whatsoever of what God was telling them, and why. Countless people on this site quote things like stoning, and wiping all the men, women, and children of the canaanites, execution of the children who disrespect and curse their parents, all of this without any real idea of why God gave these rules. Also without the knowledge that now that Christ has fulfilled the law, we are no longer subjected to the curse of the law because of our inability to fulfill it on our own. I do follow the message of Jesus, and I will open my arms to anyone. But I am bound my faith in my God to call a spade a spade. Even though I have a few "spades" as friends, and they are cool people. Let's not forget that children are a gift from God, and very impressionable at that age. It is a gift to help mold them into the person they are to become. And children are special to God, as well as the weak of conscious.

Matthew 18:6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

1 Corinthians 8:12 And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beautyfrompain

Wouldn't you rather have this conversation under circumstances in which are favourable like this? Topic brought up in class, your child gets curious, and asked a trusted parent? Rather than, and this is from experience as my youngest cousin, now 9, hears it from kids at school who just make fun of them and call them mean nasty names, or watches it on TV (not that I'm saying you let them watch whatever, but it's a possibility).

Um....no. I would rather educate my children on religion, politics, and controversial issues myself. I would rather decide when my child is old enough to learn about sex, be it hetero, or homo. And if my child has been calling any names, be it racial, sexual, gender, or whatever else oriented, he/she will be getting a prompt butt smacking, and maybe even some extra chores around the house. Unless of course you would like to take away my right to decide how my child should be disciplined?

I'll tell you what, let's just let the government raise our children from the bottom up. Then they will really be politically correct. Right?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

Well, it's been a long time since I went bible bashing, but it seems to me that the laws set in Leviticus were there to ensure that the people didn't die in the desert, had lots of kids, and created a strong society. When I was a kid and still a Southern Baptist, I actually was told once ( and only once ) that the laws of the old testament no longer applied because Christ presented a new testament and his death on the cross negated all of the previous Jewish laws leaving only the golden rule and the believe clause.

So if all of that is true, what claim do Christians have that homosexuality is still wrong?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

When Christ fulfilled the law, He didn't all the sudden make everything ok. Not in the sense that what is wrong is no longer wrong. What He did do was make it so that you are no longer held up to the standard of the law. He brought forgiveness for sins. Does this mean that you can't be a homosexual and go to heaven? Don't know. Not my place to judge. But He does say that those who love Him follow his ways. That they love the light, and not the dark. And He defines what is light and dark. Proverbs 23 is solely about drunkenness. Can an alcoholic enter the kingdom of heaven? To quote the Bible, Judge not, lest ye be judged also. You will never catch me saying that someone is going to hell, or not going to hell for that matter. I won't put myself in the place of the Creator. But we do have his word. Check out Romans Chapter 1. You'll find your answer to homosexuality there. I would post it, but you need to read the chapter in context, and the mods would probably be upset with me for posting such a large quote. It's not too long though. Things don't stop being wrong just because Christ died for our sins, and we love because He first loved us.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Btw, your understanding of why God gave them those laws was rather condense, but pretty astute. Much better than many on this site.

And why does everyone who posts a non christian, or liberal reply get a star? I haven't got one, and I haven't read one good response to any of my posts (that has not received an equally good rebuttal, IMO).

[edit on 22-5-2009 by one_man24]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A Friendly Reminder

We understand this can be a heated topic......

Have your say, but please stick to the topic of discussion..

For your convenience here is the OP:

Originally posted by TheAmused

Gay Curriculum Proposal Riles Elementary School Parents

www.foxnews.com

A group of parents in a California school district say they are being bullied by school administrators into accepting a new curriculum that addresses bullying, respect and acceptance -- and that includes compulsory lessons about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community that will be taught to children as young as 5 years old.

The parents from the Unified School District in Alameda, a suburb of San Francisco and Oakland, say these issues are best learned at home and most definitely are not age-appropriate for elementary school children.

The parents are also angry that they wil
(visit the link for the full news article)

Post to the topic and not each other please? Further off topic posts will be dealt with accordingly.

Carry on..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join