It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Shall Feel No Pain!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Many things in your body are on auto-pilot.

The primary goal and instinct is for survival.

It is primordial and a tough thing to overcome and most smart people don't try to short circuit their fail safe mechanisms.

Pain is your bodies brake system.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hey people,
Thanks for all your input

I know there are the advantages to pain, like it telling you that your body needs a break etc.

Originally posted by RuneSpider
My thing is not to block pain, but to let it kind of wash over me, and walk it out.

I like that.
Rather than just blocking it out, just letting it drift over you completely. Acknowledge it, but do not address it.

Originally posted by KOGDOG
reply to post by JacobNH

Ever hear the expression...... "No pain no gain".

Yeah, i've heard that before.
If you could bypass pain, knowing its still there, but just not allowing yourself to feel it, it would still be there.
Therefore you would still "gain", and still have the pain, just not acknowledging it.

What i like to think is that, my body, is mine.
It is under my control.
I feel what i want to feel, and that generally isn't pain

Like "rogerstigers" said, pain is just signals.
Can i actually tell me body not to send the signals in the first place?

Love&Light.

Jacob

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have given birth to four 7 pound kids without painkillers so pain is a long lost friend. lol

But the theory is true, you forget all about it once it is over. I call other women chickens when they scream for labour meds. We have been giving birth for thousands of years, quit whining and suck it up!

also, stubbing my toe has hurt worse than giving birth.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by suzque66]

oh ya, during on pregnancy I had a cyst removed and they had to dig into my tailbone to get the root, again, no painkillers, was just bent over the table before the infection turned septic.

Maybe I got no feelings lol, but I tend to think men have a lower pain tolerance.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by suzque66]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobNH
If i stub my toe, or trap my finger in a door (that really hurts) i just say to myself, "I should not be feeling this. I will not feel pain" It soon goes away as quickly as it came.

Trust me that is not pain. Try having a herniated disc and compression fractures in your spine.

Then try to tell yourself it doesn't hurt...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm an odd mix of scientific and metaphyscial beliefs.

The science of an MRI last week revealed to me I have two slipped discs in C5 and C6, this is at the base of your neck. [See what twenty years of head banging will do to you? heh] I also have chronic tendonitis and bursitis in my shoulder. These are extremely painful conditions which I do various scientific and metaphysic treatments.

There are various forms of thought out there and I don't subscribe to one but perhaps to a little of each. Some schools of thought would have me believe the constant puffy swelling and pain are due to a past life issue or unresolved past life pain. Others would say it's purly physical in nature, this area of the neck happens to be where most nerve ending thread up to your brain. Any form of swelling can activate any number of these nerve endings firing synapses that could give me a headache or even causing an odd numbness in a seemling unrealated location like my leg.

After dealing with this for three years, I've decided to use a commen sense approach. I follow the advice of a doctor, and yes a good one can be hard to find - spent years going to various doctors with misdiagnosis by not performing the correct tests (mri) - I attend physcial therapy, and I use creative visualization using the healing colors of blue and yellow. I also meditate and find that if I can distract my mind, I can lessen the pain.

For me, it's anything creative. I couldn't draw a stick figure but found doodling lessened the pain so I went to the my local Fine Arts School and took a class. Now I can draw and find it's a good way to 'trick' my brain and defocus off the chronic, continual pain. I believe in mind over matter but know I haven't achieved this kind of shamanistic enlightenment myself. Yet. As you said OP, practice practice practice.

I refuse to be a victim or live in negativity. I try not to whine or feed it energy of any kind. Although, I do occasionally wince.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

Good for you! I had both my girls with no pain killers. It's all about focus.
Amazing though, the nurses were really trying to get me to take the 'shot', but I was having no part of it....

I have been practicing conquering pain. When a headache comes around, if I focus my thought to the center of the pain, I can either move it, or make it go away completely. The issue though, is once I stop focusing, the pain returns.... more practice, I presume.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by suzque66
also, stubbing my toe has hurt worse than giving birth.

Haha, really?
Omg.
I think giving birth is sort off different really. (I can't say too much as i've never given birth, and i dont want to, as I'm a guy) When you give birth, rather than just pure pain, there is the excitment of bringing new life into the world, the love and the joy.
The positivity can help you forget the negativity.

But you got a cyst taken out without painkillers?
Damnn... Well done

Hey there Whisper,

Well all that sounds like an awful pain in the bum (excuse the pun
)
Like you said, meditation is good, anything that can distract you mind.
If i let the pain happen, and moan about it, i just find it worsens, like its "feeding" off me.

Originally posted by Whisper67
Although, I do occasionally wince.

Haha, that made me laugh.

Love&Light.

Jacob

[edit on 22/5/2009 by JacobNH]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Its not so much the birth, it is the hours of back pain and it is how the hip bones are separated so quickly (before the pushing) and naturally that it feels like a crow bar ..bla bla you get my drift.

Yes, for the cyst, all I had was a nurses hand to hold as a doc at Lejuene took the scalpel and did his thing. Cleaned it, packed it and sent me home for it to be unpacked, washed and re-packed for 3 weeks at home.

The only pain that I would consider 'extreme' would to ever lose the children I gave birth to. That would be unbearable.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

If you could bypass pain, knowing its still there, but just not allowing yourself to feel it, it would still be there. Therefore you would still "gain", and still have the pain, just not acknowledging it.

I understand what you are saying. Yes........ it is possible. I have endured torture. The pain was not felt. I pray..... and a white light appears upon which I focus. The light becomes brighter...... and yes...... I feel no pain. I just tossed in the "Suffering Servant" data to address the initial title of this thread that originally included the name of "Jesus".

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Oooh nasty.
Yeah, don't go into too much more detail

So KOGDOG,

I guess you probably dont wanna talk too much about your torture then.
And yeah... It did talk about Jesus, but i didn't get my facts right so i removed it.

Love&Light.

Jacob

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Oooh nasty.
Yeah, don't go into too much more detail

Jacob

hehe yes, that was plenty to make my point. They say the most painful proceedure is a spinal tap, so if I can handle this, I could handle anything.

I honestly don't zone out or anthing, I just tell my body to STOP sending the pain signals after a certain time kinda like telling that body part 'ok ok, I get it already, it hurts' and voila, it doesn't exist any further.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
I have a fairly successful method of blocking out pain of the 'stubbed toe' variety.

I just go within myself, as deep as I can to a sort of central dark place and stay there as the pain subsides. It does tend to save me from a prolonged and extremely painful experience.

The major problem with this is the presence of other people when I have the accident. People who stand there and demand to know what the matter is, getting more and more agitated if I ignore them.

This method wasn't much use to me when I had tooth-ache for nearly a month (I needed root-canal surgery and had two really useless dentists). What I did find was that walking very briskly helped a little bit. Not much, but a bit - it gave me something else to focus on.

Personally I hate it when other people see me after stubbing my toe or catching my finger in a door. You try your best not to think about the pain but they always say "what's wrong" "why are you moving like thar" "what's the matter with your X?"

Worse yet if you revisit the pain and tell them what just happened, they put on a fake face full of pain and pity that just makes you more angry.

[edit on 22/5/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Originally posted by berenike
I have a fairly successful method of blocking out pain of the 'stubbed toe' variety.

I just go within myself, as deep as I can to a sort of central dark place and stay there as the pain subsides. It does tend to save me from a prolonged and extremely painful experience.

The major problem with this is the presence of other people when I have the accident. People who stand there and demand to know what the matter is, getting more and more agitated if I ignore them.

This method wasn't much use to me when I had tooth-ache for nearly a month (I needed root-canal surgery and had two really useless dentists). What I did find was that walking very briskly helped a little bit. Not much, but a bit - it gave me something else to focus on.

Personally I hate it when other people see me after stubbing my toe or catching my finger in a door. You try your best not to think about the pain but they always say "what's wrong" "why are you moving like thar" "what's the matter with your X?"

Worse yet if you revisit the pain and tell them what just happened, they put on a fake face full of pain and pity that just makes you more angry.

Is about how aggrivating and useless men can be during delivery. LOL

Explains why we get pissed off and don't want them around or touching us, now you know how it feels...maybe?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Yeah, its so annoying when other people see, and just keep asking you about whats up, and you trying to block it out and they're screaming down your ear-hole

Love&Light.

Jacob

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I was in the kitchen last week, preparing dinner with my housemate when my dog dropped a toy at my feet and gave me 'the look' wanting me to kick it for him.

I did, and skidded badly. I was about to fall flat on my back onto a stone floor. If I'd hit my head when I landed things could have been very serious.

I let out a series of screams for help, thinking that I had no way to save myself.

Fortunately for me, there is a shelf running along the length of the kitchen wall and somehow I managed to fall into the corner of it. I still have a sore spot on my lower back where it took the impact.

I was standing groaning and a bit wobbly when my h/m who had been less than a yard away from me came over to ask what the matter was.

I'm still fuming that he didn't rush to catch me after hearing the first shriek. It was loud enough, it echoed all over the kitchen.

Flipping wally

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I guess I shouldn't brag that I also had wisdom teeth extracted surgically wthout taking as much as a tylenol

men are such babies
hehehe

[edit on 23-5-2009 by suzque66]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
[edit on 24-5-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

So I have this theory.

So what brings about death? Pain.
If you're not scared of death, you shouldn't be scared of pain.

It is like fearing the messenger, but not the message.

I believe in reincarnation, so i am not (truly) scared of death. And well, you know when you stub your toe, your not going to die, so why should you feel it.
Pain is just a message, telling your body, that if you continue doing what is bringing about pain, it could result in something bad.
Worst case senario, death.

If i stub my toe, or trap my finger in a door (that really hurts) i just say to myself, "I should not be feeling this. I will not feel pain" It soon goes away as quickly as it came.

Obviously if you were being stabbed, or chopped up with a chainsaw, that would hurt, and wouldnt be able to be blocked out as easy, but well, practice makes perfect. And no, I'm not telling you to go and expose yourself to lots of pain to practice, but when you do do one of those really annoying things, just tell yourself you shouldn't feel it.

Any thoughts, boy and girls?

Love&Light.

Jacob

I have great experience in the field of pain of all types. I dont care who you are, at some point pain takes you beyond your conscious mind to a place where you don't know of anything but the pain. Trying to wish it away is laughable - well, depending on the level of pain - but don't delude yourself that you could withstand torture or something - if you ever get in such a position try to cooperate as much as possible - because you will whether you want to or not, better to conserve your strength for a chance to fight back.

With your analogy of a minor wound - I have a very high pain thresh-hold, and I can injure myself like that and not really notice its happened. I had two broken ankles once - they were displaced by about an inch each. I thought they were just twisted and I walked on them for most of a day before I realized the bruising was getting too severe to be explained as a strain injury. After I had the X-rays done the nurse rushed me a wheelchair and couldn't understand how I could even walk.

You can resist pain only to a certain point. It is instructive, and I think everyone who suffers in their life is granted wisdom and tolerance in compensation.

While I may not fear death, and probably don't really 'fear' pain - I would certainly avoid it within all reasonable means. I have had my fair share and doubt it has further lessons for me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join