It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The imbecile and his dumb Generalizations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to

I think it's a near absolute that those who make it to the very top, world leaders & elite, are all psychopathic. Perhaps not every one of them, but nearly so. Would you consider this a sweeping generalization? I'm curious.

Yes. Every group has its generalized enemies. This is a typical one for the group of people called "ATSers" imo.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mindmelding
reply to post by Skyfloating

You're a victim of your own thread. Generalizing that all generalizations are the work of imbecils... I don't even have to ad hominem you (something which I try not to do anyway), you do it to yourself.

Not really talking about all Generalizations but a certain type.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Very few generalizations are true . (Does that even make sense in this thread ?lol)

Is that one ?

Saying "very few" instead of "all" already makes a huge difference (to me at least)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Are you saying that there is no black/white issues?

There`s black, white and all colors in between. Im just frustrated that black/white are the most used in the media, are the most used when it comes to trying to sell something or gain widespread attention.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

You're a victim of your own thread. Generalizing that all generalizations are the work of imbecils... I don't even have to ad hominem you (something which I try not to do anyway), you do it to yourself.

Im not saying that ALL Generalizations are a fallacy. Thats what the second poster said. I did not say that.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I hear them all the time about "Americans" the "Chinese" the "Middle east" etc. I fear that for those who are not well read or have a good understanding of the real world that they will actually believe some of the stereotyping that goes on simply because a topic poster is popular.

A good way to overcome this stuff is by traveling.

Go out into the real world and you`ll find...

* Homosexuals who are not interested in marriage
* Palestinians who are Christians
* Jews who are struggling to survive financially
* Chinese who are creative
* Muslims who love America

...and more...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I agree with you about these generalizations they keep people blind to there beliefs. like i always advocate peace and love and people just call me a tree hugger because i want a better life style, its a sad thing that probablyy wont change until its too late, but face it we all our guilty of making generalizations from time to time its a flaw and humans are flawed so it happens.

You and I have a somehwat similar outlook on things i think cuz i see everything as the grey area. to me there shouldn't be a right and wrong its these types of thought that perpetuate conflicts and division,(demorcrat republican, crip blood etc) religion is a good example cuz all religions preach for the same reason but argue and fight against each for minute differences in teachings. Like science and religion ,for example, instead of fighting one another over right and wrong unifying the two could produce the REAL answers that 2 are conflicted about(just an example)

And ya'll are probably gonna generalize me as a crazy n**ga but i think all these events( the civil war ur talkin bout) are going to play into effect in some way or another and may be beyond our control. Im sure you guys have all heard of the cycle of nature, i think we're just along for the ride i'm mean after all we are animals and these series of events happen for every generation like a never ending cycle maybe the earth isnt the only thing thats goin in a steady circle/orbit.like come on famine,war,poverty,civil unrest,rebellion pandemics,stock market crashes. it just keeps repeating in a never ending. Kinda like that one saying "know your history or you doomed to repeat" (not the accurate quote but the general form of it). I mean even upon knowing it nothings changing it unless people finally wake up from the idiot box they are trapped in

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

The Illusion of "me" vs. "other" probably comes from the false notion that if there is no separation, everyone will be the same and things will be boring.

In my opinion its possible to be as ONE without being the same, without loosing individuality, without loosing national identity, with maintaining full diversity.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Isn't courtesy mandatory by the T&C?

Yes, which is why I refrained from calling them #§!!#&!/! and just used the "controversial" word imbeciles.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

The Illusion of "me" vs. "other" probably comes from the false notion that if there is no separation, everyone will be the same and things will be boring.

Now you've hit on what I believe to be the cause of creation.
The original one-that-is-all got tired of everything being the same and decided adding some other to the mix would make it less boring.

The other could only ever be an illusion, but, being part of the illusion, it's quite convincing and entertaining.

Adding greed and fear to the mix gave a better sense of separation and added the possibility of all sorts of adventures as some people were driven by these feelings to do detrimental stuff and others were driven to try and stop them.

It didn't take long for this sense of other to be exploited by those suffering excess fear and greed. They taught groups to put aside their own ideals and adopt those of the group, becoming a tool to be used by the puppeteers. - Of course evolution helped with this, as people who were part of an integrated society were more likely to have their children survive.

So now both present society and evolution and manipulation all combine to make us think in terms of generalities, grouping people into generic thems who we regard as so different to ourselves.

- Which makes threads like yours, helping people think about such assumptions, pretty important.

In my opinion its possible to be as ONE without being the same, without loosing individuality, without loosing national identity, with maintaining full diversity.

There will always be differences, but on a deeper level our similarities are much greater.

The trick is to get people to feel their similarities, while respecting and valuing their differences. Then we can be a community of Earthlings instead of a morass of warring groups.

[edit on 23/5/09 by Kailassa]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I like to compare it to a puzzle. Each piece is different and thats good. But its still ONE puzzle.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Not really talking about all Generalizations but a certain type.

Im not saying that ALL Generalizations are a fallacy. Thats what the second poster said. I did not say that.

The fact that you replied to my comment twice to say the same basic thing shows me that you're not really thinking clearly about what you're trying to say here. This thread is poorly thought through and I honestly think you should delete it.

Just because some "idiots" make generalizations that are frustrating to contemplate dosen't give any of us the right to get on high horses and run them over. It's the same principle as teaching a child not to put food in his nose by talking gently to him or teaching him the same thing with a beating. One way is the right way the other is the wrong way. This thread is the wrong way, imo.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's the same principle as teaching a child not to put food in his nose by talking gently to him or teaching him the same thing with a beating. One way is the right way the other is the wrong way. This thread is the wrong way, imo.

You really need to broaden your mind and consider more options. There are far more than two possibilities here.

Have you considered gluing the child's nostrils shut or amputating the nose altogether?

You could serve the food in chunks too large to poke into any facial orifice, or train the child to poke it into the ears instead.

If you want a less invasive solution, you could give the child peanuts coated in extra hot chili extract. It shouldn't take him long to stop using those as nostril filler.

Or you could just develop a sense of humour and accept that each person has their own unique way of expressing themselves.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mindmelding

I agree that using a gentle tone is most often the correct way to convey information.

But this particular issue is so widespread and taken for granted that neither gentleness nor anger will make much of a difference. As I said, I posted this mainly for later linking-purposes and will use it as such.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

A good way to overcome this stuff is by traveling.

Go out into the real world and you`ll find...

* Homosexuals who are not interested in marriage
* Palestinians who are Christians
* Jews who are struggling to survive financially
* Chinese who are creative
* Muslims who love America

...and more...

Too many people [Not All] simply don't care to find out whats going on in the real world. So they stick mostly with what they have learned from their parents or an adult they respected. Unfortunately not all adults are mature in their way of looking at the world.

We have bigotry and stereo typing and in some communities it runs deep. As a Child I heard this type of argument all the time while growing up.

"If you don't believe me ask my Grandpa"
Meanwhile the kids grandfather was a member of the KKK.
So there you go.

The ones that really get under my skin are the ones who have made up their minds and ignore unbiased evidence to the contrary.

Ignorance is Bliss

[edit on 23-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I agree

Breaking the 'true - false' paradigm is essential to gaining knowledge - where I would define knowledge as information that is neither true nor false.

I post on this subject often - I hope more and more will begin to shed the idea that everything they read or hear is immediately true or false. A think a more healthy way is to regard everything as possible.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

This is the recipe for an imbecile:

Step One: Take a young plump child then marinate in fast food, pointless arguing and family gossip.

Step Two: After a few years of marinating generously coat with parental fear leaving it stand for another few years.

Step Three: Place the child between the television, the Nintendo and plenty of hateful radio shows and zap the child until fully cooked.

Step Four: Remove the child from your presence and place into the world.

Happy cooking.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I´ll file that under "things that are both funny and sad".

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Please tell me I did not kill your thread.

Another sin in our world is cynicism which I committed when I posted.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I dont mind if threads stop. Interestingly, there is really not much to be said or discussed on the subject...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join