It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Man Y- Chromosome is Shrinking to Disappear!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Apparently all us males will inevitably die out. Women will rule the world!
Even though this isn't going to happen any time in the next few million years it is a very scary thought. Just imagine, an entire planet of just women - truly amazing.

www.associatedcontent.com...

Believe it or not, it's true and it's scary. Recent genetic research were conducted to prove that the Y-chromosome, the male chromosome, is in fact shrinking and with time it is about to disappear. Thus, resulting in the end of the entire male gender, and then the end of the sexual reproduction of the human species

www.thaindian.com...

London, May 21 (ANI): Men are on the road to extinction, a leading researcher has said.

Professor Jennifer Graves, a leading researcher in human sex chromosomes, claims the male Y chromosome was dying and could run out within the next five million years.

However, the expert said, men could follow the path of a type of rodent that manages to reproduce despite not having the vital genes that make up the Y chromosome.

While at the annual outreach public lecture at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Graves told medical students that a second species of human beings could even be born in the future, reports The Scotsman.

“You need a Y chromosome to be male,” said Prof Graves, from Australia.

“Three hundred million years ago, the Y chromosome had about 1,400 genes on it, and now it’s only got 45 left, so, at this rate, we’re going to run out of genes on the Y chromosome in about five million years. The Y chromosome is dying and the big question is what happens then,” she added.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by andre18]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How can it be so easy for them to claim the male Y chromosome is dying out when there are so many negative environmental factors in the world today?

We have plastics, pharmaceuticals and fuels in our water supply, and women are having children when they are older (Older women/ couples tend to birth a higher percentage of girls.)

So why is the male Y chromosome dying out? The reason could be completely unnatural.

Why don't these 'scientists' clean up the world first before they jump to conclusions?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
YAY I'll be coming down for another incarnation then!!! WOO HOO!!!
No seriously, and people think that there was no divine entity that was female???? HAHAHAHA. It's not our chromosome that is whiddling out. Hmmm. Oh BTW we will still be able to reproduce as long as there are functioning freezers in sperm banks. And genetic manipulation especially in 5 million years when technology will be much further advanced.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It is no surprise actually. We are seeing a lot of female hormones in the food products these days. Apart from the naturally present ones, some are artificially added to give more taste to the food, and as the concentration of the hormone rises, there is no doubt that it will be capable of altering the genes.

But all is not bad, I read that some rats are capable of being born as male, even though the male chromosome is absent. So, who knows, we will adapt in the million years time frame.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I don't believe this to be true, but what do I know. Regardless of cause, I'd be nice to lower pollution levels since a lot of the chemicals seem to have estrogen like effects in the body.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Once again; It is not going anywhere. The claim that it was, was the result of a poorly hafly done study several years ago, and thus, the "news" is also as old.

The claim that the chromosome is going to disappear, are in other words, bunk, which several Science-reports soon after the first claim, revealed.

NEW YORK - The human Y chromosome — the DNA chunk that makes a man a man — has lost so many genes over evolutionary time that some scientists have suspected it might disappear in 10 million years. But a new study says it'll stick around. Researchers found no sign of gene loss over the past 6 million years, suggesting the chromosome is "doing a pretty good job of maintaining itself," said researcher David Page of the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Mass.

Link: www.democraticunderground.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Personally i think we are heading for one gender, but not in millions of years, it will be done on purpose, by science and society. Society is just at the start of this.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
who is to say the human race will still be around in a few million years, especially with the path we are currently on with the environment and political affairs.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VampireZio

The most accurate and to the point post on the thread. Good one Vampire.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by GuiltyByDesign]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
True or not I suspect this wont matter as I doubt humans will make it much longer (geologically speaking) on this mudball. Who honestly believes this species would even make it another million years let alone five?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Uh one flaw here guys... the ones that keep having the ability to reproduce will and carry that information onward... the females on their own cannot.

I'd say men are safe.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ever see Axe Cologne commercials?

I always got the creeps from those commercials and I am a woman!

I felt it says: Man Stinks! Give them the Axe!

www.youtube.com...

Women competing for the shortage of men:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com... yDeNJG-433RTZpMHxAu7yOikcJarD1E9gZLRqi6X0KgKe3Haa1nMqs_qGOoj9ekRDLSkjw-ga3VHQLR3nTgtD0ZIN-1sjJHqUOykLeeM_wANGzuXjhWdPCwEANMvM0uFVW_W26iLz5T7D-WYIA4POL YvJ5dht5PKkkMtETC9KCnXka1FRKOrDQxrp6Jja0KxqPKrTNV4mqSX-B2fsI5tgAWYWXxmTQSg7kIoBIab-F4jMX_Z4MQXo9g0LWRy8DlbUfZWZzOJdaP72F9kZrTB8VfUS_X-FzMA0t1zm1H6_UYN qBbUkypShfZ768pDnLUxGSGC8HE

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I don't see why it follows that because the male chromosone is shrinking that it will disappear completely. It seems to me that it's streamlining itself, and getting rid of all the junk code it hasn't needed over the last millions of years.

Interesting subject though, star for you. What I really wonder about is how they know how many genes a chromosone had millions of years ago.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Lazy Ninja

Coast to Coast website had this recent link in news regarding junk DNA

'Junk' DNA Has Important Role, Researchers Find
ScienceDaily (May 21, 2009) — Scientists have called it "junk DNA." They have long been perplexed by these extensive strands of genetic material that dominate the genome but seem to lack specific functions. Why would nature force the genome to carry so much excess baggage?

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It doesn't help mush when there's estrogen mincing chemicals on our food and water supply , that cuppelled with a non meat diet with food rich in plant estrogen. What better way too subjugate a people by pacifying them and reducing their futility . Than one needs merely to also employ and develop an elite police cast to act as sheep dogs. Anyone who see's a poetic side to this is greatly delusional . Finally with out males there can be no females , you have a non gender based race .

[edit on 24-5-2009 by OpusMarkII]

[edit on 24-5-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Here's another one on this topic
abcnews.go.com...

Also recently the stem cell news where sperm was created..

Maybe the aliens are here from the future and can't reproduce..and want more genetic diversity - just a thought

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
Here's another one on this topic
abcnews.go.com...

Also recently the stem cell news where sperm was created..

Maybe the aliens are here from the future and can't reproduce..and want more genetic diversity - just a thought

The scientists tried to develop sperm cells with XX chromosomes but they did not progress beyond early stage sperm, called spermatagonia
Scientists 'create sperm from stem cells'

top topics

join