It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was this about?? (Jon Stewart - Alien Overlords)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
While I was cooking the other day, and my wife pointed out a joke that Jon Stewart was making about Obama's speech at Notre Dame. So I walked in and she rewinded it (Hulu), and after the bit was half over, Stewart suddenly switched gears (at about 3:30) and addressed, as a joke, Our Future Alien Overlords. He gave Them, in case they were watching and were confused, a quick explanation about Notre Dame and Obama, and then wrapped it up about 4:30.

[FoilHat] This joke was so out of place and unrelated that it left me scratching my head. What was the point of this? I mean, if some news of alien or UFOs was the topic of the surrounding bits he was doing I could see this fitting benignly in and it would have made sense.

Maybe I am just looking too far into this, but it just seemed a little too out there, given the context of the bit. If he was just making a joke about how "everybody knows this", by ironically choosing the only people (aliens) that could be unaware of the "information" he was conveying, then I guess it works on some level. But Overlords? Why go that far with it?

I am in no way assuming he has some inside scoop about the take over of our planet, but, who knows? Though it was funny, it also felt out of context and downright creepy. Is his reference to Aliens and such just a vehicle for a joke, based on the public's fascination with ET, or does he have some personal interest? Or does he know something we don't? [/FoilHat]

HULU Link. POI is at 3:30

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The EnterTainment industry needs to steal good ideas from somewhere and what better group than a bunch of tinfoil hatters? Unfortunately, it puts the homeless schizophrenic bums living out by the office dumpsters out of a job.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It actually fit perfectly. It was a toungue-in-cheek joke pointing out how silly the arguments we have in politics are. I realize some people have a problem with Obama being pro-choice, but most of the people that were actually protesting weren't even students. I'm sure that even a majority of the students who disagree with his stance on abortion probably didn't care that much, because hey, it's a pretty big thing to have the president speak at your graduation.

His joke was meant to convey that if we are being watched by ETs, they must think the whole Notre Dame controversy was pretty silly, and unnecessary.

I realize this is a conspiracy website, but do you really think Jon Stewart's in on some alien coverup?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldat401

LOL No not really. I just thought it was a funny thought. But I guess, if anything, it's just another confirmation that aliens aren't always the joke, but are also used to as a frame for satire or entertainment without being overly "scifi".

The whole idea of aliens is still in the realm of hilarity and fiction for many, if not most, of the general public. At least, it would seem that way by looking at how the mainstream entertainers handle the subject. But I would say that the idea of alien existence has picked up acceptance, judging by how many references are made outside of the "conspiracy circle".

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Right on. Ideas come from everywhere, and Jon Stewart as a whole is very good at picking up on tidbits that will resonate with his viewers. Maybe this sort of mundane reference shows a boiling, or the "heartbeat", just under the surface of the mainstream mindset, of the acceptance of an alien presence...maybe?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Jon Stewart is a pretty smart man. He probably has hunches and ideas about what is going on and has formed his own opinion.

I would liken him to the more balanced, logical thought-provoking, knowledge sharing people on this site.

Obviously few people know close to everything that is going on and those people are not on TV, but it probably has double meaning.

1.) How silly the argument is

2.) He gets to drop an Alien line on tv, a topic which may be close to him and something he could be interested in personally.

I've watched the show over the years a bit ( not a lot ), and he seems to be " with it" if you know what I mean.

He is not the type to be suckered into the hysteria and hype and MSM but he is not foolish enough to go wacko on TV.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think he is just hopping on a bandwagon and making fun of UFOlogists in general. I don't think he has any special insight and he would probably make a joke out of this thread if he saw it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I got thinking about it, and "Why shouldn't there be the possibility of a double-entendre?" came to mind, concerning the possibility of what he may know or believe. I mean, as you said, there could be double meaning there. And I agree that it may be one of those times where a person has an interest in something, but is afraid to be too serious about it for fear of backlash or scorn.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
The EnterTainment industry needs to steal good ideas from somewhere and what better group than a bunch of tinfoil hatters? Unfortunately, it puts the homeless schizophrenic bums living out by the office dumpsters out of a job.

lol, I see what you did there...

Anyway, yeah, I think you're over-thinking it. Stewart has a habit of doing out of place jokes, and don't forget he has writers too, it could be one of them poking fun at it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

You're probably right. He even might use it as material for his next bit. Not all things are a door down the rabbit hole, but not every simple thing is so simple, either.

It would be very interesting to sit down with him out of the limelight and get his feelings on the subject. After all, he's part of the media, despite his virtual monopoly on the "I ain't the media and I see common sense when others don't" angle. Don't get me wrong, he's a very smart guy. But what better position to be in to say whatever you want and be given the benefit of the doubt all the time? Couldn't he be the perfect person to tell something as monumental as the existence of ETs, in order to use his influence over the younger, more skeptical segment of the public? Influence to what end, who knows...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticPerhaps

I tend to overthink, as well. It was probably nothing more than a good framework to illuminate the obvious silliness (at least his opinion) of the protesters at Notre Dame. But then again, if it was Stewart's joke, Freud might disagree that it was merely a one off nothing.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by obilesk

I got thinking about it, and "Why shouldn't there be the possibility of a double-entendre?" came to mind, concerning the possibility of what he may know or believe. I mean, as you said, there could be double meaning there. And I agree that it may be one of those times where a person has an interest in something, but is afraid to be too serious about it for fear of backlash or scorn.

That is kind of what i was thinking. Like if i wanted to talk about some stuff from ATS with my friends they would hammer me with negative comments because they are not as open minded as I am, so it would be = to me bringing it up around friends but slightly joking about it just so they don't laugh at me.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Exactly. It may seem superfluous, but maybe he actually feels there is something to the phenomena.

This vid is a snippet from his interview with Peter Jennings. He seems to play the part of fair skeptic, with an obvious interest in the subject, or at least an awareness of what will get good ratings

Video

new topics

top topics

join