It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible bill?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Perhaps having a "Year of Religion", instead of only Bible, wouldn't be such a bad thing. I say this because then, the American people would be encouraged to go out and actually learn about other religions and learn what those people actually believe instead of being content with thinking that a particular religious group believes something--which may not be correct.

I can't tell you how much it bugs me when people say something about another religion that isn't true/correct.

I can't tell you how much it bugs me when people tell me that I, or other Christians, believe something which isn't true. [I actually used to laugh in high school when I would tell kids I was going to Bible college and they'd immediately ask me, "Can you still have sex!? Christians can't have sex, right???"]

Denying religious ignorance could be a very good thing for America.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is a bad idea. Totally a bad idea. Wholeheartedly a bad idea. But then, it is washington, so what do you expect?

Simply put, this has nothing to do with establishing Justice, insuring domestic Tranquility, providing for the common defence, promoting the general Welfare, and securing the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity. Therefore, the federal government has no business doing it.

EDIT: Just noticed this is my 20th post!! Yay! I can post new threads now. Don't have anything to post right now, though.

[edit on 5-22-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Starred...although I personally hate the word 'religion' it would be better than singling out one.....

perhaps a "Year Of Faith" as this would encompass all, everyone has faith in there own beliefs.......

[edit on 22/5/2009 by whoswatchinwho]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

yea right, pretty stupid talk when every bill being passed in congress is in complete disagreement with the bible and completely evil like the pedophile protection act.

these congressman need to be hung...the bad ones...90%

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

“This doesn’t have anything to do with Christianity,” he said in an interview with POLITICO. Rather, he says, it seeks to recognize that the Bible played an integral role in the building of the United States, including providing the basis for our freedom of religion that allows Muslims, Hindus and even atheists to vocalize their own beliefs.
(from the yahoo new release)

I hate it when people say that Christianity is the basis for freedom of religion. They spent hundreds of years REPRESSING other religions!
If anything it was the Masonic traditions that promote freedom of religion. These views, as I understand, go back to the Egyptian dynasties. Romans were very tolerant of multiple religions, as they usually absorbed religions into their pantheon after they took over a new country.

Also, to Christians who want to claim GOD as their own, everything I have read and studied about the founding fathers says that they meant God to indicate a unitary creator of some sort with no specific dogmatic tradition applied.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoswatchinwho
perhaps a "Year Of Faith" as this would encompass all, everyone has faith in there own beliefs.......

Good thinking.

I'm an athiest and a year of faith actually seems like a good idea to me. I have no problem with religion except when it sticks its nose into others business, but that doesn't mean I don't realize this world is filled with people who have faith's of all kinds, so a "year of faith" sounds like something that might actually bring some people togther instead of dividing them for once.

As I quoted earlier;

The establishment clause has generally been interpreted to prohibit 1) the establishment of a national religion by Congress, or 2) the preference of one religion over another or the support of a religious idea with no identifiable secular purpose.

Source

Seems to me a "year of the bible" would be showing prefernence to Christianity over other religions and more importantly serves no identifiable secular purpose.

Year of faith

Year of the bible

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyler 720

May is Asian Heritage Month. March is Irish-American Heritage month. I'm dead certain there are others. Please do a little research first

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I stand corrected.

My humble appologies for my lack of reasoning.

I have honestly never heard of another race honoring month.

(Insert embarrased looking icon here)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hawaii lawmakers back the creation of 'Islam Day'

What do you folks think of this Islam Day in Hawaii.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I think it will never end if it is to be fair. For every Bible year we need a Quran year, Torah year.....

For every Black History Month we need an Asian month, Irish month.....(are there more than 12 races?)

It is aparent to me in my carreer when I first started working I checked one of White, Black, Hispanic, Asian or other.

My most recent application took me longer to decide between White(non hispanic), Black/White, Black, Hispanic(non Asian), Asian, Mixed, Native...............

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyler 720

Thats why we should keep governemnt out of all this issues. Let the government spend their time in more important things that would be for the common good instead of this type of trivial things.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is just stupid! It will never pass. There are WAY to many people here that this offends....Including me!

Bad Idea

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Why is this idiot still collecting a public pay cheque after suggesting such nonsense?

Is this the standard of ideas that the general public want from their political 'leaders'?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm Christian, Baptist to be precise, and I am completely opposed to this.

Why, you ask?

Simple.

The federal goverment has NO place either espousing or attacking religion AT ALL.

Seperation of both is for everyone's good. Otherwise, you would either have a state church (Church of England), or you would have an oppressive party killing religious dissidents (China, Soviet Union, etc.)

My faith is the thing closest to my heart and I in no way, shape, or form want the government to have anything to do with it.

Preserve the freedoms of all, but do not push beliefs on others.

Even the Bible tells us this. Read the New Testament... I can't tell you the exact verse, but it explicitly states that Christians should not push the religion on anyone, but rather to let others see your actions and words as testament to your faith.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by GuiltyByDesign]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
this is moronic.
this politician needs to be shot. seriously?
SERIOUSLY?
theres more important things to do than this.

america is not a "christian" nation. its a secular one. the founding fathers would NOT support this in any way.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'd be willing to trade a Year of the Bible for A Summer of The Atheists. You know that summer would be the most fun any of you ever had.

Also you should consider reading what Thomas Jefferson (who thought Christianity was going to be dead within 50 years of his Presidency) Ben Franklin, James Monroe, and a host of others thoughts were on Christianity. Or is this only forefathers who support your argument.

Also Christianity now and Christianity in 1776 are two entirely different things.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by devareous

The dollar was designed by the federal reserve. There's also a lot of stories spread around about George Washington (Started by Christians) that aren't true. Infact.. It was said by his peers that he went to church but did not believe a word of it.. He just had to for his image.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join